Re: WNDR4500 - Corrupted firmware

tomlambrechts
Luminary

My 1 year old WNDR4500 got same issue, flashing power led (green)... tried the tftp firmware put method several time, but this green flashing power led doesn't stop flashing... so it means that the firmware stays corrupted.

(http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18989/kw/wndr4500%20corrupted%20firmware%20recovery%20...)

any other thing I can do ?
Message 26 of 33
tomlambrechts
Luminary

Ok... I got it up again....
I got the firmware file now from ftp://updates1.netgear.com/wndr4500/ww/
and then I saw it was a .CHK file... while I used the ZIP to tftp to the router... stupid of me of course to upload a zip file.

anyway? I followed the instructions from http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18989/kw/wndr4500%20corrupted%20firmware%20recovery%20... and used the new firmware.

after that the led turned to solid amber and after reboot it went to solid green.
All my settings were still alive and kicking.

So now everything is back online !
:cool:
Message 27 of 33
JohnnyMc
Luminary

blacksunshine wrote:
ok. to make it simple you should extract the rar file with the firmware updat in it and just put it in your C: folder. So when you go into CMD
you can find it easier. now when you open it...it sill say c:windows/system32. type CD.. and hit enter....now it will say C:windows. Type CD.. and hit enter again and you should be at the root menu of C: At this point type DIR to pull up the list of whats on the root directory. you should see your folder. For example....Mine was WNDR4500-v1.0.1.18_1.0.36. So when you go to enter you folder type CD WNDR4500-v1.0.1.18_1.0.36 (type yours if different) and hit enter. Now you will be in the folder you created. and hit DIR again to see the file. FYI..don't change the firmware file name at all when you put it in the folder on your C drive. next you will see C: (yourfoldername) type tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wndr4500-v1.0.1.18_1.0.36.chk and hit enter (yes the spaces are supposed to be there). it will send it to the router....now watch your lights and don't do anything until the power light turns solid green. your wireless lights will probably blink blue before that tho. When the power light is solid green....then unplug the power, count to 10, plug it back in and after 2 min u should have all the lights the way they used to be. I hope this helps!

Also if it says "tftp" is invalid or something along those lines. then go into start, in the search bar type "programs and features" and then click "turn windows features on or off" and check the TFTP client to enable it. then try the command under CMD again and you should be golden 🙂

Hi I have a WNR3500L router and the power light flashes continuously indicating corrupted firmware and the router will not function. I have followed the support instructions to manually re-load the firmware but the router just sits with it's power light flashing. When doing the TFTP transfer the power light goes solid for a few seconds indicating the firmware is being transferred but it makes no difference. Any clues?
Message 28 of 33
jff6791
Luminary

If it doesn't say "transfer complete" in dos box it didn't go through. The above procedure worked for me last night after a firmware upgrade went bad and bricked the router.
Message 29 of 33
newbi
Luminary

I think I have the same problem.
I downloaded the new firmware v1.0.1.40.0.68.
I hooked up my pc and set it to 192.168.1.2 with gateway 192.168.1.1.
I can my ping my pc ( 192.168.1.2) but the ping fails on the gateway address 192.168.1.1.

This router was working fine until the last power glitch.

I tried the tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put filename .. but it fails (connect request failed).

I had the router set to 192.57.57.1 before it failed. Will that make any difference to this procedure?

Any other tricks that could help?

Thanks in advance
Message 30 of 33
Devor
Luminary

You might want to try this here.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 31 of 33
InragedChris
Luminary

blacksunshine wrote:
ok. to make it simple you should extract the rar file with the firmware updat in it and just put it in your C: folder. So when you go into CMD
you can find it easier. now when you open it...it sill say c:windows/system32. type CD.. and hit enter....now it will say C:windows. Type CD.. and hit enter again and you should be at the root menu of C: At this point type DIR to pull up the list of whats on the root directory. you should see your folder. For example....Mine was WNDR4500-v1.0.1.18_1.0.36. So when you go to enter you folder type CD WNDR4500-v1.0.1.18_1.0.36 (type yours if different) and hit enter. Now you will be in the folder you created. and hit DIR again to see the file. FYI..don't change the firmware file name at all when you put it in the folder on your C drive. next you will see C: (yourfoldername) type tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wndr4500-v1.0.1.18_1.0.36.chk and hit enter (yes the spaces are supposed to be there). it will send it to the router....now watch your lights and don't do anything until the power light turns solid green. your wireless lights will probably blink blue before that tho. When the power light is solid green....then unplug the power, count to 10, plug it back in and after 2 min u should have all the lights the way they used to be. I hope this helps!

Also if it says "tftp" is invalid or something along those lines. then go into start, in the search bar type "programs and features" and then click "turn windows features on or off" and check the TFTP client to enable it. then try the command under CMD again and you should be golden 🙂

so i did this. but all i got was the following:
Transfer files to and from a remote computer running the tftp service.
tftp [-i] host [get : put] source [destination]

-i specifies binary image transfer mode in binary image mode the file is moving literally, byte by byte ise this mode when transfering binary files.

host specifies the local or remote host.

get transfers the file destination on the remote host to the file source on the local host

put transfers the file source on the local host to the file destination on the remote host

source specifies the file to transfer.

destination specifies where to transfer the file.

its not actually transfering the file cause i dont think iv given it a destination. need a little more info.
Message 32 of 33
Dcaesar100
Luminary

Golden Medal to you.
I want to point that last version (Version3) did not work to me. I installed V1.0.1.18_1.0.36.chk and it worked.
Message 33 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E