• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Novice

WNDR4500 Use backup FROM version 1 and RESTORE to version 2

Received my Netgear WNDR4500 version 2 today.
Before I do any DD-WRT flashing, I would like to test this router on my local network for a week for firmware / hardware stability.
If week of test is good, will progress to flash to DD-WRT.
HOW TO TEST ....?
For past 18 months been running a WNDR4500 version 1 (rock solid router).
Can I create a new router backup file from my old WNDR4500 version 1 and safely RESTORE it onto my new WNDR4500 version 2 ??

Additional firmware Info
My WNDR4500-v1 is at 1.0.1.40_1.0.68 firmware.
My WNDR4500-v2 is not known, I have not powered it up yet.

Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDR4500 Use backup FROM version 1 and RESTORE to version 2

Configuration files are not normally transferable between versions of a router model, different versions are typically a different hardware design.
Highlighted
Novice

Babylon5 wrote:
Configuration files are not normally transferable between versions of a router model, different versions are typically a different hardware design.

Thank you for your response!
I think I did not ask the question correctly ...
I want to restore the Router backup file created within the router browser GUI view. I am hoping / assuming this file only contains "user / network / password" settings unique to my network preferences.
Are their firmware / version settings unique to v1 and v2 devices carried into the router backup?
Just trying to save myself a couple hours of router setup to test this new router's stability.
I will first create a backup file for the new V2 device, then restore device V2 using my current backup file from my V1 device.
If push comes to shove, if I did the above the V2 restore should return it to it's original settings and then I will manually setup my router/local network settings.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

bluechipwi, Your question was asked correctly and babylon5 gave you the correct answer. The answer is don't do it. The variances between different hardware revs and firmware versions make this a bad if not impossible idea. You shouldn't even use back ups of configurations between different firmware versions on the same hardware revisions. Instability/unexpected behavior can result.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.50 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.78

Message 4 of 4