Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR4500 Won't Issue IP's Wired Devices

I'm running WNDR4500 with modem/router DM111PSPv3 and 8 port gigabit switch GS108 v3. ISP is Centurylink.

4500 handles wired and wireless duties. Devices connected, wired to switch, then to 4500: Two Directv DVR's, PS3, Oppo (blu-ray) and Pioneer AVR. Wireless: 2 laptops, Tablet, iPhone, HTC phone.

Prior to last week, all was well. Modem/router set-up with ISP info, then changed modem/router to bridge, or modem only, mode; 4500 set-up with ISP info, set to serve as DHCP, and obtain IP and DNS automatically.

4500 issued IP's to all devices without a problem. I had AV equipment IP's set as reserved (I run iRule to control equipment). This config had been working for months with only intermittent internet disconnects.

Last week, the internet dropped out of our connections. Contacted Centurylink, and they tested the line. Connection was good, so had to be equipment. Tried the recommendations in the forums, but to no avail. Contacted Tech Support, and after an hour or so on the phone, we got the internet to stay connected (was a series of power-cycles and resets).

Set up was close to the way I initially had it, except: She left modem/router in Router Mode with it serving as DHCP and she left login as Dial on Demand, from Always On. I asked Rep on this, she said to leave it that way.

Wireless connecting well. Wired devices don't connect. Tried directly connected to 4500 or via switch. 4500 not issuing IP's (devices pulling 169.254.xxx.xxx). Tried entering static IP's with correct DNS, Gateway, etc. still no go.

I know I'm missing a setting of some sort, just can't figure it. I appreciate any and all help or insights to this issue. Sorry for long post. Thanks. --Mario
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR4500 Won't Issue IP's Wired Devices

ISP has less to do with the issues on LAN side with 169.

seems DHCP on 4500 is corrupted or brick.

I would try TFTP and reflash firmware and try again and/or hard reset the router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Mentor

Your wired devices are not connecting - it's not an addressing problem, if it were then they would work with static addresses.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for the replies. I'll give the TFTP flashing a shot to see if that resolves it. Either way, I'll post the outcome. Thanks again. -Mario
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Was there an outcome to this?

This evening my WNDR4500 has just started doing the exact same thing: out of nowhere it suddenly stopped issuing IP addresses to any hard-wired devices and even manually configuring the IPs doesn't work.

Same as HTN I have a fairly complex network - perhaps the WNDR4500 has simply died after two and a half years?
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Mentor

See my earlier (#3) - if I had to guess I would say the Ethernet port (internal) linking the switch ASIC to the router has failed. You could try pinging one wired device from another (both will need static addresses) if that works, but you can't ping the router itself, that would confirm my suspicions - and that you need a replacement.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements