Re: WNDR4500 and Xbox live

fishnet90
Aspirant

WNDR4500 and Xbox live

I just bought a WNDR4500 and have hooked up to my home network. I have a lot of devices and everything works fine, except for my xbox. The xbox connects, but shows a strict / problem connection.

I have gone through all the normal things:
- Made sure upnp is on
- Set up port forwarding
- Re-set everything, multiple times
- Set NAT to open
- Turned on the Xbox as DMZ
etc., etc.,

Finally, just to verify everything outside of the router was fine, hooked up xbox directly to modem and got a perfect connection both by rating and by in game tests.

Two things that are particularly troubling is the upnp port map table is blank. I think that something should show up here. Also, the log under administration is showing that the router is blocking things directed to the Xbox's MAC address.

What am I missing or does this router just not play nice with xbox live?
Message 1 of 23
fishnet90
Aspirant

Results: Contacted tech support. Their level 1 tech had me do a few of the things that I already did. When that failed, I was given to a level 3 tech who said it was not a router issue (even though my network was fine with my previous router) but he could fix it if I signed up for a 6 month $69.95 netgear support plan. Router returned to the store for refund.
Message 2 of 23
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

UPnP , DMZ, port forwarding can not all use at once.

If you enable uPnp, do not use to others

Samething with other features
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 23
billshih1975
Aspirant

i have xbox360 live and all works well.
could you describe more detail what issue you saw with xbox360 live? slow internet speed?
i may provide some comments to you.
Message 4 of 23
Nicaaw
Aspirant

I borrowed an XBOX360 today to try reproduce this problem and got very high latency and low bandwidth. I reproduced the scenario using cabled connection through LAN1-4 and compared with direct cable to modem. I am certain this issue will be resolved now that Netgear is aware of the problem Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 23
Alnico
Aspirant

I have a WNDR4500 and use two XBOX 360's over wireless. One on each radio. Out of box, after ensuring UPNP was enabled, I had restricted NAT issues with the XBOX built in tests. I had the router check for firmware updates, applied the update, and cold booted the router and XBOXs. That resolved the problem. With UPNP enable, I have not needed any forwarding configuration on this router.

-
David T
Message 6 of 23
franknitty69
Aspirant

i have an xbox 360 on a wired connection and i get open nat on MW3 and no issues with xbox live, netflix, hulu, etc.

the xbox is using DHCP and no port forwarding. previously with my linksys i had to reserve the xbox's ip to get open nat. no longer the case with the netgear.
Message 7 of 23
Rhyalus
Apprentice

I have an XBOX 360 wired to a bridge (DAP 1522) connected wirelessly to the 4500 and all is well....

R
Message 8 of 23
Elemino
Aspirant

Looks like the UPnP is not working Properly. I upgraded to the WNDR4500 TODAY from the WNDR3700. My old 3700 had no problems, but the 4500 will not let the Xbox connect to Live. It's a wired connection directly to the router, so there's no excuse for it to not work. It's EXTREMELY frustrating to have just purchased a $200 router that cannot properly forward the ports needed. This needs to be fixed ASAP, or I'll simply return it. Again my WNDR3700 had no problems and the DLINK DIR-655 I had before it had no problems. I'm running the latest firmware V1.0.0.70_1.0.18. I got the following from the Xbox Live website.

Xbox LIVE requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)

Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

Port 80 (TCP)

That last one is a bit of a problem as I'm also running a web server on my network.
Message 9 of 23
Rhyalus
Apprentice

What are you trying to do that verifies that XBOX live is not working correctly? Is it that it does not connect in the first place or is it some other function?

My XBOX live connects without a problem, but I am not a heavy user, so I can't say for sure that the same function you are trying to use I have used for sure.

Have you tried opening the DMZ to make sure that it has something to do with upnp?

R
Message 10 of 23
MadThylacine
Aspirant

I'm having this problem as well. Just bought my WNDR4500 and am having issues with XBOX live (one is wired into WNDR4500 and other wireless).

Rhyalus wrote:
What are you trying to do that verifies that XBOX live is not working correctly? Is it that it does not connect in the first place or is it some other function?

My XBOX live connects without a problem, but I am not a heavy user, so I can't say for sure that the same function you are trying to use I have used for sure.

Have you tried opening the DMZ to make sure that it has something to do with upnp?

R

Both of the xboxes are connected, it is when you go to Settings>System>Network Settings>Test Xbox Live Connection : that the problem is obvious. I receive an error that the xbox can connect to the network and internet but that my NAT is moderate and to visit xbox.com/nat-help which then explains to restart modem/router, enable UPnP, simplify setup and forward ports.

UPnP is enabled, router/modem have been rebooted, and I tried it with ports forwarded (while giving xbox a static IP) and without. My WNDR4500 has the latest firmware: V1.0.0.70_1.0.18 My previous router was the gateway with Qwest and xbox live NAT was fine after forwarding ports (on the qwest gateway router), now I have a comcast gateway and the WNDR4500.
Message 11 of 23
Elemino
Aspirant

I didn't notice the problem until a friend called and asked me if I liked the new Xbox update. My Xbox connects to my computer just fine for using Media Center, but then I tried to get on Xbox Live and it wouldn't connect. I went to test the connection and sure enough, it makes it to the Internet Connection test. It passes that one, but when it tests for the connection to Xbox Live it fails. DMZ sort helped, but it was still have a problem. It wasn't until I forwarded the ports it acted somewhat normal. The connection is still intermittent, so apparently its still blocking the signal sometimes. It logs me out every other thing I do.
Message 12 of 23
Elemino
Aspirant

I went back last night to work on the problem again, and suddenly it was gone. The xbox is able to connect without the ports being forwarded. I have no clue why, I haven't changed anything. But at this point its now working.

I still have to think there is some kind of bug in the router, or else it would have worked immediately without all the trouble shooting I did the day before.
Message 13 of 23
Elemino
Aspirant

Turns out I was somewhat wrong... While the Xbox 360 can connect to live now, it cannot stream videos with problems. Considering I have 25/25mbps internet, that should not be an issue.

I'm a bit shocked at the complete lack of support for this router. The thing cost $200, and though there are known issues, there are no updates. What is going on? Maybe I made the wrong choice. I guess I should have gone with the Asus.
Message 14 of 23
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Have you contacted netgear support?

I have an XBOX hooked up to a bridge (DAP 1522) and I have no problems at all using live, videos, etc.., going through the WNDR4500.

R
Message 15 of 23
Elemino
Aspirant

My xbox is connected through ethernet to the router. This router replaced a WNDR3700 that had no problems connecting. I was attempting to watch an NBA game on ESPN and it kept pausing to buffer. I've had times while playing on live where there are seriously delayed reactions. On rare occasions I lose my connection all together. The only device on my entire network struggling is my xbox 360. I have not contacted tech support. I dont see that they could tell me anything I havent already tried.
Message 16 of 23
swilson450
Novice

I upgraded from the WNDR3700 to the WNDR4500. I have a wireless connection to my Xbox 360 and do not have any problems connecting to Xbox Live or with the through-put when watching videos from Netflix. I have set up QOS to ensure the Xbox has a high priority for bandwith useage. However, I do not really need it with the 35/35 internet link. The couple of times I have had trouble with slow connections has been with the ISP as confirmed with speedtest.net.

I would recommend that anyone having trouble to ensure they have the lastest firmware installed and then to perform a factory reset and start from scratch - a clean configuration. Make sure the Xbox is working with that before you make other configuration changes.
Message 17 of 23
pstro97
Novice

Well let me be the guy to re-open this wound. My xbox live connection issues began way before my 4500 purchase. I thought my internal WiFi was bad so I had my box exchanged out with a brand new one. Same issues, so I traded out my old Belkin routers for the 4500 and nothing has improved with the xbox. Every other damned gizmo in this house plays well with my router but the xbox.

I've been searching for any help. I'm thinking its some sort of fire wall issue but I've pretty much have been doing what you guys are suggesting and not getting anywhere. I truly don't think this is a NetGear issue, I think is with MS and this crappy xbox.

I'll continue to monitor this thread.... does anyone have any phone numbers to MS xbox ppl?
Message 18 of 23
pstro97
Novice

Guess what? If you have wireless headsets (turtle beach) that is what causes our interference. Move the headset away from you xbox so that the wifi can pick up your router. Simple as that.
Message 19 of 23
Jaime
Novice

I had the same problem when my nephew was staying with us. He bought a turtle Beach and hooked it up and all of a sudden my son couldn't get wi-fi on his iPod so I went into my router (older d-link at the time) and kept changing the wireless channel until I found one that the Turtle Beach wouldn't interfere with, problem solved Smiley Wink
Message 20 of 23
strats991
Novice

pstro97 wrote:
Guess what? If you have wireless headsets (turtle beach) that is what causes our interference. Move the headset away from you xbox so that the wifi can pick up your router. Simple as that.

ANY device working on the same frequency regardless of what it is can interfere and therefore cause loads of problems ranging from speed to connectivity issues.

If you have cordless phones, wireless headphones or headsets, anything that works on either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands, your best bet is to fiddle with the channels until you find a clear one.

Sometimes, it's not what you own but what your neighbor owns that can cause interference like this, so keep that in mind as well.
Message 21 of 23
Elemino
Aspirant

So far with the new update, it appears that its working much better. I think the firmware update may have fixed my issue.

Firmware: V1.0.1.6_1.0.24
Message 22 of 23
MisterNivek
Novice

Well, I get the same issue. I recently upgraded to the 4500 from my 3500 about 2-3 weeks ago and love it, that is until I setup my android phone and xbox live to it. After a couple of days my android will connect but can't browse anymore, not until I rebooted the phone. Never had this issue on my 3500.

Then my xbox live connection. I can connect no problem but can't watch videos without it stuttering!!! wth...so to make sure it wasn't xbox I plugged in my old router and wa-la, all resolved. So I plugged the 4500 hundred back in and the issue persists.

I have no other issues with my other devices (other than droid), VoIP phone and PC. Not sure about PS3. I love this router and don't want to return it but that is probably what I'm going to to. I plugged my old WNR3500 and everything is fine. It is getting in age though.

What I have tried to do is the following:

UPNP- Enabled/disabled
Port Forwarding - Xbox
DMZ - Xbox
NAT - the less secure option
Turned off QoS - QoS only has an effect when your network is saturated, which mine isn't.
I turned off 5gh radio
wmm - enabled/disabled

I also basically used the same settings I had configured with my 3500 which were the following

upnp - disabled
port forwarding - none
dmz - none
nat - secure
QoS - enabled
wmm - enabled
up to 145

To the guy that says you can't use all at once is not true. The point of DMZ is to expose the device to the internet, so there is no conflict with port fowarding. You just can't use it to port forward to the same device that is in the DMZ zone.

Now, what I think MIGHT be the issue. I had a similar issue on my WNR3500. The 3500 has 3 options for the radio,

up to 56
up to 145
up to 300

I had it set at 300 for awhile until I noticed my xbox issue. Didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read the help file on my router. Turns out, I needed to set it for up to 145 when you have neighboring networks. Now, if you run in different channels, which was 11 in my case, it shouldn't matter when your neighbor is at 1 or 6. Ok, so sometimes it actually works to do something that you won't think will work. I switched it to up to 145 and wa-la it worked. Issue resolved.

So that leads me to the 4500, it has 3 options too

up to 56
up to 216
up to 450.

Obv I don't have 144, so by default i set to 216 and still had the same issue as before. Smiley Sad I had a feeling that would be a problem. So I said wth, set it to 450. No dice. Still didn't resolve the issue. I didn't chose 56 because that would defat the purpose of having the router.

So, it looks like it's a bug with the wireless radio going up to 216 with neighboring networks. Just a hunch there.

I can't believe I remembered all that with the 3500 when I've had it for almost 2.5 years I think.

When I first bought it, first thing I did was update to 1.0.1.6, rebooted then plugged in my settings. So it's a clean config.
Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements