• 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR4500 blocking Port Forward to FTP

Just realized my WNDR4500 blocks my port forwarding to my home server ftp if too many concurrent connections are opened within 10-15 mins. Only way I have found to get it to come back is the reboot the router. This is the first time I have really been concerned about the Netgear firmware and its reliability. Thoughts?

The connections are internal and external to my network using the public ip so I am wondering if the private looping back in to my public ip is what is causing it?
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR4500 blocking Port Forward to FTP

noctechvt wrote:
The connections are internal and external to my network using the public ip so I am wondering if the private looping back in to my public ip is what is causing it?

Are you access ftp also behind the 4500?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, I am port forwarding FTP to my desktop pc on the 4500 lan. When it becomes inaccessible by my public ip, I can still reach it by my private ip address via ftp. This is a problem because the router seems to lock out access from my public ip address permanently until you reboot it. Seems like a firmware bug.
Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Virtuoso

This is all happening when you are outside of your network and FTP stops right?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, only happening when accessing my network via ftp on its public ip address. FTP works fine using the local ip address. I called Netgear support and of course could not get help because I am outside of my 90 day support period. Case# 22374398. I factory defaulted the router and it is still having troubles with port forwarding. This time it lasted two days before giving me:

The data connection could not be established: ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server. Response: 425 Can't open data connection.

This error is in FileZilla Client while connecting to a FileZilla Server but I have tried other FTP software as well with same error.

At this point, I have ruled out Firewall in Windows (removed it), the FTP Server software, FTP Client software, and wiring.

Netgear really needs to fix this if they want anyone to spend money ever again on their products. Sounds like their forwarding tables are filling up/failing and no one cares about fixing it. Unless this gets some acknowledgement, I'm moving on to another better product that someone will support.
Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Still 100% clear but issues is when you are physically outside if your network correct?
Using al work network, hotspot wifi?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have tested outside my network using Verizon Wireless and Comcast. I have also tested from inside my network using my public ip address with the same results. My internet service provider is me! I work network operations for my job and we absolutely do not block any ports. I know the problem is not my internal network because when it fails, I can still access the FTP using my inside/local ip address of 192.168.1.243.

I also just downgraded to 1.0.1.36 from 1.0.1.38 and rebooted my router to see if the problem goes away. I am assuming this will fix it because the problem started with 1.0.1.38. I will keep the thread updated.
Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Using internet PC behind the 4500 and to hit FTP with public will fail because loopback not supported on most netgear home end router

Now that said testing out of Cell data still an issues would be consider to be firmware issues .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I figured the loopback was a likely block. Although, I downgraded to 1.0.1.36 this morning, and all I have been using is Verizon Wireless to connect to home all day and 6 hours later it just stalls while trying to connect now vs giving me the 425 ftp data error.

I can manipulate the error by using different versions of firmware which tells me that this router is hopefully going to see a ton more fixes with firmware in the future?

Do any of these threads make it to the development team?
Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You need contact support directly as forum is only user base

my.netgear.com portal and put trouble ticket in Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue with FTP blocking. Any solutions? Netgear online and phone support is absent and unresponsive.

Message 11 of 11