Re: WNDR4500 loses WAN connection

TAZMANUK
Novice

Hi

i got email from netgear also using trail firmware again like other user cant pass it on so dont ask

i havent had to mess with dns had imgp disabled no issues running 24 hours now trying with it unchecked....fingers crossed
Message 126 of 231
TheDen
Onlooker

just about every day I lose connection with my 4500 and the Windows 7 troubleshooter replies "DNS not detected" the router link light is flashing orange (its down). I unplug my arris docs 3.0 modem and router - restart and it still does not connect. just for the ^&*) of it one day after rebooting both I unpluged the cat6 wire from the back of the modem waited 10 seconds and pluged it back in. WaLa after a few moments the link light on the router starts flasing green and off I go!!!! What the heck is that? It only works after reboot of both. I have done this at least 10 times in the past 2 months and it worked every time. I have all new quad cable to the pole with 1 connection outside the house straight to the modem. I also have comcasts extreme 105 which tests at down @ 111mb/sec 10mb/sec (when I am up)
Message 127 of 231
rprochnow
Aspirant

installed the .103 firmware on Sunday - and so far have not lost the WAN connection. With previous firmware versions (released and beta), I would lose the connection several times a day.

Looks like they may have found a solution - at least for my network...
Message 128 of 231
Asystole
Novice

I too am using the 103 firmware. I received the same kind of email. I installed on Sunday, but I did not do a factory reset, and all of my settings remained intact after the firmware upgrade. I did uncheck the IGMP box.

At first, i could not get an IP from the Comcast Arris cable modem (I have the 105/10 service). This has consistently been my problem; the WNDR4500 would simply lose its IP and would not get a new one from the modem unless I disconnected it from the modem for several minutes. Upon reconnect, after a minute or two, it would obtain an IP from the modem, and WAN would work.

I have been using the .73 FW for the past six weeks or so, but for the past three weeks the disconnect has been having several times per day if not more often.

Since upgrading to the 103 version on Sunday, there has been no loss of IP address by the router. I'll post again if things change.

For what it's worth, after installing the .73 version weeks ago, the router went the better part of ten days without dropping connection, then it went bad again.

We shall see...
Message 129 of 231
HolmanGT
Aspirant

NetGear has made 103 available from the 4500 support page and their ftp site.

Conclusion: They must think 103 is a winner.:rolleyes:
Message 130 of 231
aryouwhy
Aspirant

The v.103 beta firmware is now posted on the product page, http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19894. Give it a try and post feedbacks.
Message 131 of 231
Snoopytime
Aspirant

Yeah the senior tek emailed me the .103 last friday and asked me to test it, it works perfect even with IGMP option enabled.

Good to know they read this thread, as I had never solicited them, the Firmware just shoed up in my email last friday.

Good Job Mr. B, your code edits help us get internet & let our hair grow back!
Message 132 of 231
andrew_beatty
Novice

I've been using the router connected to my Rogers Cable Modem here in Canada for a week or so, everything was going great until this weekend. I started to experience a connection drop between the router and cable modem. Even if i rebooted the router or tried to reconnect it would take me through the troubleshooting guide...have you shutdown and rebooted the modem, have you checked the cables etc. The only resolution was to shutdown and reboot the modem and restart the internet set-up process. In most cases the connection was short lived. I'm glad I stumbled across this forum, as I have 'enabled' the proxy setting you all refer to, changed my my cables and rebooted both modem and router. I also switched my DNS to google. So far so good, been up for 12 hours, and will continue to monitor. If I see another failure I'll upgrade the firmware to the 103 and try again...hopefully I can just wait until the official firmware.

I did try out a tool called namebench which analyzes DNS servers and make a recommendation of what you should use. Has anyone had any experience with that? It recommended I use 4.2.2.2 and 205.151.222.250. I didn't make the switch yet, as I didn't what to introduce a new variable, but would be interested to see what folks think.

Also be interested if anyone has figured out any optimal settings to boost receptions and overall performance of the router...I'd liek to keep this one. I've already tried and send back the ASUS and CISCO/Linksys high end routers. This router is the best so far for coverage, but hindered by the connection issue.
Message 133 of 231
bobv
Novice

The 103 firmware completely solved my problems. Be sure you reset the router to default settings (in the Backup menu) after the upgrade.

4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 are Verizon DNS's that are faster because they don't query for advanced services like Google and OpenDNS. I learned that from a Microsoft tech. I use the Verizon DNS's and they work great.
Message 134 of 231
HolmanGT
Aspirant

BobV,

Do you know why M$ suggested 4.2.2.2 - 4.2.2.3 apposed to 4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.2 ?

Verizons servers start at 4.2.2.1 according to the list you posted.

I have tried both and they seem to work equally well, but I am curious why 4.2.2.1 is skipped in your suggestion?
Message 135 of 231
bobv
Novice

Actually, the DNS goes from 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6. I have no clue why the MS tech mentioned 2 and 3 in particular. All I know is that they are really fast. If I had to hazard a guess it is that 4.2.2.1, being the first, is probably the most crowded. Then, you ask, why not use 5 and 6? Who knows????
Message 136 of 231
HolmanGT
Aspirant

Bob,

Actually I had the gut feeling about 2.2.2.1 as being the default and most busy also.

I just like to hear someone say I am correct. 😉

I wasn't even going to go as far as 5 and 6. Actually I had the thought that the "backup servers" with the higher numbers might not be as reliable.

In any case 2 & 3 have been EXCELLENT for me and I thank you again for posting them.
Message 137 of 231
KevTech
Tutor

Might want to try the firmware released on the 24th of January.

•[Fixed]: Guest network can’t access internet when client access main wifi network first.
•[Fixed]: can’t find DNS server.
•[Fixed]: when using fix ip, DHCP will send NAK and connection will drop and re-connect.
•[Enhancement]: improve the read/write speed for ReadyShare NTFS file system.

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19894
Message 138 of 231
Asystole
Novice

Dropped connection again. Installed 103 firmware this past Sunday, so it maintained connection for about four days.

When I say it drops the connection, I mean WAN is unreachable, and looking at the router's IP info, it no longer has an assigned IP; shows 0.0.0.0. This has been my experience since I made the mistake of purchasing this thing.

The only way to fix is to disconnect it from the modem for five minutes, then reattach. Power cycling usually does nothing.

Oh well.
Message 139 of 231
HolmanGT
Aspirant

Asystole,

Did you reset the router to factory defaults after updating to 103 and then manually set changes that you need or use?

The factory reps. recommended the "Reset" after updating to 103 so their must be a good reason for doing it... IMHO.
Message 140 of 231
andrew_beatty
Novice

Further to my previous post I had to upgrade to the 103 as the connection dropped again, and would hold for a second and then drop again. So far so good, but I did not do the factory settings as recommended. I am going to see how long it last, and then if necessary reset the whole thing. Whats amazing to me is that this has to be a common problem, and this is one of the most expensive routers on the market today for home deployment. I switched from Linksys because I was disappointed, but I'm getting concerned that I have jumped out of the frying pan in to the fire on this purchase.

If I was Netgear I would be working 7 by 24 to get the official firmware upgrade out. In today's consumer world, any bad press and it can kill your product sales. Come on Netgear step up quickly!
Message 141 of 231
HolmanGT
Aspirant

Andrew,

Just my two cents but I think the reset and manually adding any personal configurations is an important step to avoid problems like the poster “Asystole” had with 103.

The reason I am being pushy about this is I have had problems with Dlink Routers and my iPhone(s) when not doing the “Reset” thing. Actually because I have been burnt I do a reset to factory prior to a major update (actually any update) and one after the update, call me paranoid.

My rational for this is that with a major firmware update not all the configuration memory locations may remain the same so you can end up with gibberish in memory locations that shouldn’t exist. OK – I know that is probably not the best technical description but I am only on my first cup of coffee. 🙂

If there are any Netgear Technical folks around please comment on the importance of a reset or if I am over-stating the need for the reset.
Message 142 of 231
HolmanGT
Aspirant

Andrew,

Just as a PS I am still sitting on my WNDR3700 because of this disconnect problem with the 4500.

I was actually in Staples yesterday with my Check Card in hand and the router in the other. The sales clerk then told me they had only sold one 4500 since Xmas.

I put the router back the Credit Card back in my wallet... and am now waiting for this problem to be resolved.

So I agree, Netgear needs to step up before the 4500 becomes a "White Elephant".
Message 143 of 231
andrew_beatty
Novice

Great advice, I will do it tonight and hopefully it avoids any further disappointment. The router itself is great, but I'm surprised by the nature of this bug, its rudimentary and should have been found in QA before release.

Anyway, hopefully its resolved. The good news is I have stumbled across this forum and its been invaluable. Saved me (I hope) sending back another router!
Message 144 of 231
HolmanGT
Aspirant

Andrew,

Please keep us posted on this issue.

I am going to hold off my purchase until you post back on your results. I just don't want to spend that much money on something that is going to send my blood pressure thru the ceiling.

Thanks
Message 145 of 231
rprochnow
Aspirant

Been running on 103 since Sunday - with no WAN disconnects.

As recommended by Netgear, I did a "factory reset" after installing the update, and manually restored my personal settings.

I'm using the default DNS servers provided by my ISP and did not change the IGMP setting.

All previous official and beta firmware versions failed after several hours - so running for 5 days without a disconnect is very promising.

They appear to have fixed the problem - at least with my network configuration.
Message 146 of 231
Briss929
Aspirant

Did you try your WiFi LAN speed?
Router Netgear WNDR4500

Laptop Asus with Intel Ultimate-N 6300 450Mbps wireless card
Message 147 of 231
HolmanGT
Aspirant

Briss929 wrote:
Did you try your WiFi LAN speed?
Briss929,

first this thread seems to have died so I have been watching some of the other that are not just talking about loss of WAN connection and I am not getting good vibrations.

Anyway I did check WiFi speeds after reading your post. And now I am not a happy camper AGAIN. My 4500 will only connect at 150 mbps and my transfer rate was approximately 5 mbps to another computer on my LAN that is hard wired.

I then put my WNDR3700 back on line my connection speed is back to 300 mbps and the same transfer speed test was 10 mbps. I don’t know if that is good or bad but obviously twice as good as the WNDR4500.

Short story – just as soon as the store opens today the 4500 is going back and I don’t care what new software Netgear comes up with I am through spending time and stress trying to “make a silk purse out of a sows ear”. I don’t know if the 4500’s problems are hardware, software or both but I could not possible see keeping it nor would I be evil enough to ever recommend this unit to a friend. I also feel like Netgear advertisements suckered me into buying what is advertised as a “Super WiFi” Router” and isn’t even as good as my WNDR3700.
Message 148 of 231
onebyside
Novice

Win 7 Ultimate
Shaw Cable 50/2
QNAP TS-509 Pro
RAID 5: Seagate ST31500341AS fw CCH1 (5x1.5TB)
Wndr4500/ .70 fw

wifi has been connected since day one, wan has been connected since day 1 aswell

very happy
Message 149 of 231
Briss929
Aspirant

HolmanGT wrote:
Briss929,

first this thread seems to have died so I have been watching some of the other that are not just talking about loss of WAN connection and I am not getting good vibrations.

Anyway I did check WiFi speeds after reading your post. And now I am not a happy camper AGAIN. My 4500 will only connect at 150 mbps and my transfer rate was approximately 5 mbps to another computer on my LAN that is hard wired.

I then put my WNDR3700 back on line my connection speed is back to 300 mbps and the same transfer speed test was 10 mbps. I don’t know if that is good or bad but obviously twice as good as the WNDR4500.

Short story – just as soon as the store opens today the 4500 is going back and I don’t care what new software Netgear comes up with I am through spending time and stress trying to “make a silk purse out of a sows ear”. I don’t know if the 4500’s problems are hardware, software or both but I could not possible see keeping it nor would I be evil enough to ever recommend this unit to a friend. I also feel like Netgear advertisements suckered me into buying what is advertised as a “Super WiFi” Router” and isn’t even as good as my WNDR3700.

You're lucky to have your refund for your router. I bought it before the holidays I ran out of time for testing. Now it's too late. So far this router is not worth its price for sure. I hope that Netgear will eventually resolve the problem ...
Router Netgear WNDR4500

Laptop Asus with Intel Ultimate-N 6300 450Mbps wireless card
Message 150 of 231
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E