Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR4500 loses WAN connection

This is a very serious issue affecting the correctness of the router's operation. It needs to be fixed as soon as possible as it is obvious that lots of people are experiencing the same problem. Please someone submit a ticket to support so that it can be looked at immediately. Thanks in advance.
Message 201 of 231
Highlighted
Apprentice

konos5 wrote:
Please someone submit a ticket to support so that it can be looked at immediately.

Yourself and others seem to be hoping and waiting someone or the other to take up the issue with Netgear. You could just end up waiting on each other forever. Why not take it upon yourself to open a case with Netgear?

Maybe some people are just waiting and hoping that Netgear will see their complaints here too. Well, this is just a user-to-user forum only. Don't expect any response from Netgear here.
Message 202 of 231
Highlighted
Novice

I cant help think this is all a settings problem of either the pc or the router or on the isp side. I have 2 of these units...1 running dsl and the other cable..not one problem....not one disconnect. Both units in the basement in the laundry room.

everything below is wireless

2 ipads 2
3 laptops
1 iphone
1 galaxy s2
1 wd live
1 HP 6600 printer( running wireless for all units)

hard wired

1 Qnap 509 pro Nas

no problems

half the posts in this thread explain the problem and give no details of the setup ..cable...dsl...cordless phones....huge house...

I have a 5.2 ghz phone ..if I even click for a dial tone it knocks the wireless sig off line...as it should

haven't seen one person ask what settings in detail other people are successfully using...all I see is someone mentioning some past router they have and they must assume everything is gonna perform the same in identical settings

A wise man that does PC phone support once told me that 9/10 the problem ended up being between the keyboard and the chair.
Message 203 of 231
Highlighted
Apprentice

onebyside wrote:
...half the posts in this thread explain the problem and give no details of the setup...

...haven't seen one person ask what settings in detail other people are successfully using...

...all I see is someone mentioning some past router they have and they must assume everything is gonna perform the same in identical settings...

A wise man that does PC phone support once told me that 9/10 the problem ended up being between the keyboard and the chair.

@onebyside, you have hit so many nails on the head Smiley Wink.
Message 204 of 231
Highlighted
Virtuoso

The problem with threads like this is that they simply snowball in size and become a dumping ground for people to post a comment and then disappear from the forum. We have a “don’t hijack” rule because it’s very difficult to help more than one person at a time in a single thread. Even though symptoms of a problem may be similar causes can be quite different, and hence the solutions will not be the same. To try and help people in this thread is next to impossible, which is why I ultimately lock threads like this so that people will then start posting individual threads again where there might be some chance of getting help/advice.

Of course I have no problem with people both posting here, and starting their own thread to ask for advice.
Message 205 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same problem. My flatmate and I had gone crazy about this issue, especially when we were playing World of Warcraft. I contact the support and they replied me to flash the firmware to the latest version and then do a hard reset.
Message 206 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

I followed a suggestion off the boards and disabled IGMP Proxy. Lets see if that fixes the intermittent connection.

Though that should not be the reason. I shouldn't have to disable features to allow the router to work.
Message 207 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

I got a new WNDR4500 last Friday. First thing that happened after getting it online was a firmware update to 1.0.1.36_1.0.63. So after that happened, I did a full factory reset and started over. Initially everything worked well. Wireless seems stable and strong for both 2.4 and 5 GHz clients. But I have noticed that after some number of hours, internet access for all devices (Wired and Wireless just stop). I can access the router just fine from wireless or wired devices. But I find that the only way to resume internet access is to release/renew the WAN IP.

This is truly disconcerting. My prior router (Dlink Dir-825) didn't provide adequate wireless signal strength for my house, but the WAN port never dropped connection - and I've gone many months without ever rebooting it or losing connectivity.

Clearly something is amiss with the WNDR4500. I'm on Cable connected to Motorola SB6120 Docsis-3 with simple DHCP setup on the WAN port. There are simply too few options to configure there to have done it incorrectly.

Any suggestions?

J.S.
Message 208 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

Brand new WNDR4500 (v1) received Friday to replace a Dlink DIR-825 whose wireless signals were not adequate.

WNDR4500 updated firmware to 1.0.1.36_1.0.63 as soon as I connected to Cable Modem and started the setup wizard. I went ahead and reset to factory settings after the firmware update to be safe.

Did wireless setup for 2.4 and 5 ghz networks using same SSID and passwords as my old Dlink. Did WAN setup for cable with my Motorola SB6120 using straight DHCP as ISP requires.

Everything looked great. Wireless connections are strong and fast. Wired PCs ran fine. Internet speeds were 40 Mbit down / 8 Mbit Up... exactly as expected. However since Friday I've had to go into the Router Admin screens several times and Release/Renew the WAN IP due to inability to access internet. Looks like communication out the WAN port just stops. Releasing and Renewing the WAN IP seems to allow for recovery without rebooting the router.

This is definitely not a problem with my ISP, Cable modem, cables, etc. I have run many different routers on this setup without ever losing the WAN routing connection (unless of course the Cable Modem lost sync with the ISP).

I take it this is the issue many folks here are reporting.

If this continues, the WNDR4500 will go back. This is unacceptable for a current generation "premium" product.

JS.
Message 209 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

GlennS wrote:
A week on from my post above and the router has been rock-solid with a static DNS configuration. It seems this is a valid "work-around", now we need a code fix. It shouldn't be too hard, NETGEAR... what is taking you so long?

I have used hard-coded DNS since I first set mine up. Doesn't keep me from losing WAN connection.
Message 210 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem as described by jsimmons.

The problem seems to be DNS related.

I have tried static DNS server configurations but problem surfaced intermittently.

A reboot from either the cable modem or router solves the problem for me.

I have not tried downgrading firmware but it seems like there are many users with the same WNDR4500 and firmware version experiencing the same issue. Previous firmware version does not have this issue.

Netgear, please comment and fix this issue.
Message 211 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm certainly willing to drop back to the firmware release prior to 1.0.63 but am not sure where to download it from. I'll take WAN port stability over almost all else. The internet connection needs to be rock solid.
Message 212 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

Found it. Downgraded to prior release. Will see if the WAN connection is more stable. All other configuration settings are unchanged.
Message 213 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

No WAN Drops since downgrading. I'm staying with V1.0.1.20_1.0.40 for now.
Message 214 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same as Jsimmons.

No WAN loss since downgrading.

Please fix latest firmware.
Message 215 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

Stumbled on this thread and was having the same issue (WAN Connectivity Loss). I was running 1.0.1.36_1.0.63 and have since downgraded to 1.0.1.20_1.0.1.40. I will set a calendar reminder to come back in a week to post an update.

For background i was usually disconnecting multiple times a day.
Message 216 of 231
Highlighted
Novice

running both my units on the V1.0.0.70_1.0.18 fw .....solid..no probs
Message 217 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

It's been a week and no WAN disconnects after downgrading.
Message 218 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

jsimmons,

I just installed one last Saturday and it's dropping the internet connection too. I did install the latest firmware after getting everything set up so it's apparently still buggy.

Where did you download the older version?
Message 219 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok, found the older versions. Backed it down one version to 1.0.1.20_1.0.1.40 and that seems to have done the trick. No disconnects over the last 6 hours.
Message 220 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello everyone. I'm having the same problem many of you are having. I spoke with NetGear support on the phone today and they were absolutely no help. I am having the connectivity problems with the WAN. They had me adjust some settings in the router and now the internet is dropping offline about every 15 minutes instead of only a few times a day. I tried to ask them to look at the forum thread and for me to get the .73 beta firmware that seems to have fixed peoples problem and they said it did't exist. Can anyone please help me or point me in the right direction or a person who know what they are talking about netgear. I'm a disabled veteran and in a wheelchair and on oxygen. My only activity all day is sitting in a chair using the internet.

Please help!

Thanks,

Sgt Meyer
Message 221 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

Can someone help please? I called NetGear support today as I am having the same WAN connection problems. They had me change some settings and reload the newest firmware. It was a complete waste of time and I am now having more problems with it dropping offline. I am a disabled veteran and I am in a wheelchair and on oxygen so the internet is about all I have to do.

Please help!

Thanks,

Sgt Meyer
Message 222 of 231
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You have to reset the router after flashing firmware

If still that does not work , reflash prior version firmware and follow up with hard reset

Support.netgear.com - search products and you can all available firmware
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 223 of 231
Highlighted
Aspirant

SgtMeyer,

If you go here:

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/

and search term model / product WNDR4500 with the checkbox for firmware it will take you to all of them. Start going backwards. 36 was the one that did not work for me but 20 has been solid.
Message 224 of 231
Highlighted
Apprentice

SgtMeyer, honestly, I don't have this model, but it seems that others on this thread who tried the .63 firmware solve their issue by re-flashing the .40 version. IMHO, you should try that too.
Message 225 of 231
Top Contributors
Announcements