mootpoint
Aspirant

WNDR4500 will not support 6TB USB drive?

I'm trying to upgrade from an older USB 2.0 3TB Western Digital hard drive to a USB 3.0 6TB Western Digital hard drive connected to the router's USB port.

I realize the Router supports speeds up to USB 2.0, but I assume a 3.0 drive will still work, albeit at slower speeds.

I had never gotten the ReadyShareConnect application to work reliably. A year ago, I started connecting by mapping the drive via IP address, instead.

I disconnected the old link in Windows Explorer. The old IP address no longer appears as a drive in Windows Explorer.

The router does not appear to be interfacing with the new drive. The drive works when connected directly to my Windows 7 computer.

I get a canned message when trying to map the new drive: Check the spelling or there is a network issue.

Could it be that USB drives will not work unless the ReadyShareConnect application is installed?

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: WNDR4500 will not support 6TB USB drive?

I've struggled to get most usb drives >4tb to work with readyshare. Some do work, others not even close. And the WNDR4500 is a significantly older device. Here's the confirmed compatible drives list.  its not all inclusive but I don't see much on here with larger capacities. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060825/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE-Old-Models

CM2000-> RAX200-> GS716v2-> EX8000
Message 2 of 8
mootpoint
Aspirant

If it is the case that larger drives do not work with the WNDR4500, is it also the case they will not work with the newest routers, either? Do I need to look at another brand?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can check the list. 

https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE

I know I've had an 8TB working on my RAX200. I think it was/is a seagate. I might have shucked it for a NAS so can't remember off the top of my head. 

Message 4 of 8
mootpoint
Aspirant

The WNDR4500 will not connect to the 6TB Western Digital Elements (WDWLG0060-0B).

Why? How is one drive that different than another? This must be related to the router firmware, which hasn't been updated in many years. I could look into third-party firmware, but I'm not feeling that ambitious right now.

I have some 636 GB remaining, so this is not a pressing emergency. I will buy a new router in the coming weeks, something I've clearly been putting off.

I wish USB hard drive support were more robust.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Its also something you can check into with the format. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router

Issue with many external drives is when they need drivers. If they need a driver installed, they usually won't work. 

Message 6 of 8
mootpoint
Aspirant

Over the years, I've bought a lot of external hard drives, between one and two dozen. I've never bought one that needed drivers to operate. Didn't even know that was a thing.

I'd like to know why these routers will work with so very few specific models. I know XP won't recognize drives larger than 2TB, due to a limitation in its ability to access memory. If I buy a new Netgear router, will I be facing the same problem, that it will recognize but a small handful of specific makes and models?

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

The reason they work with specific models is that during testing, if the alpha/beta testers have that modem and it works, its put on the "works" list. Thats why it isn't an all inclusive list. I do know the older models had issues past 4gb. 

My RAX works with an 8TB seagate drive that I ended up shucking. 

Many external hard drives need drivers which is why you see a lot of "usb device not recognized" or "external drive not showing up" in seagate/western digital forums. Its usually incorporated into windows but its harder with routers as there's more limited storage versus a windows install. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements