• 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR4500v2 Unresponsive daily

Just purchased this router a few weeks ago. The first thing I did was set it up and update the firmware to current (1.0.0.56_1.0.36)

Two weeks later, and for the last 4 days in a row, the router becomes unresponsive overnight and is no longer visible to my devices unless I reboot.

I tried to check the logs but they are refreshed at reboot so there is no history to look at.

When the router is unresponsive the security, wireless, internet and 2.4 GHz lights are still green and the 5GHz light is blue. So it is indicating everything is good, however none of my devices are able to connect.

Everything goes back to normal with a power cycle.

Anybody else experiencing this?

It almost seems like the router is going into a sleep mode after a period of inactivity and then just stays asleep...

Message 1 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR4500v2 Unresponsive daily

Is it only the wireless device which are unresponsive or including the wired devices? Have reset the router default after the firmware update? If not then reset the router then reconfigure.
Message 2 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Wired and wireless. I did a hard reset yesterday, then reapplied the firmware update, then re-applied my settings from a backup. I have not had the issue since, so I am crossing my fingers. If I experience the issue again I will do a hard reset then leave everything at default for a while to see if it comes up again (in case it is a setting of mine that's causing it). I live in the country, and my closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, so I am pretty sure there is not an interference problem (can't see other networks)
Message 3 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I agree with the second option that you have to reset the router and leave it on default settings.
Message 4 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well we have had storms in the area for the past few days and I have not gone more than 12 hours without a power outage... so I have not been able to test this yet.
Message 5 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

It has happened a couple more times, yet with a little lower frequency. Instead of every 12-18 hours, now after a factory reset it is about every 48 hours.
I also found out that the wired connection continues to work and the 2.4 GHz wireless continues to work. It is only the 5 GHz network that is becoming unresponsive.
The SSID is still broadcast, but no internet connection and no connection to the router (cannot get to routerlogin). It is very odd.
Message 6 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Resetting the router and reapplying the update seems to have worked. I have not had an outage in weeks.
Message 7 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

That's good to hear. Report back if ever you encounter issues.
Message 8 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am experiencing a similar problem, with a twist. I have a WNDR4500v2 router. I have installed the NetGear USB hub in order to access my printer wirelessly. If the printer is powered on before I start my computer, it will recognize the wireless connection and allow me to print. However, If the computer is already powered on and booted up and I then power on the printer, it is not recognized by the hub. How can I restart the Netgear USB HUB in order to get it to recognize the printe? I do not want to have to leave the printer powered up all the time as I use it very infrequently.

Message 9 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This sounds pretty odd. 

Do you have any firewall/antivirus installed on the computer?

For the meantime, uninstall it and see if that would help.

Did you try other computer to install the USB utility, just for isolation?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have this installed on two computers, one with Windows XP and the other with Windows 7. Both computers are accessing the printer via the wireless router function. I have uninstalled / installed the Netgear USB control center on both computers mulitple times as well as the printer driver. The Windows XP machine has a basic avant firewall while the Windows 7 machine has full blown Norton antivirus and firewall. Both machines show the same sympton, they only recognize the printer if the printer is powered up before I power up the computer. Thank You for your response!

Message 11 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have forwarded this case to our engineering team.

I'll let you know their response as soon as I have an answer.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@RickMalek Our engineers didn't experience the same problem as yours.

What's the exact model number of your printer?

Also, what's the firmware installed on your router?

What's the result when you disabled the firewalls on your computer?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

ElaineM,

Thank You for pursuing this for me! I have shut off the firewall and there was no change. The printer is a Brother MFC7360N. The firmware version on the router is V1.0.0.60_1.0.38.

Regards,

Rick

Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@RickMalek Thank you for those info. Let me check back with our engineering team and see what else we can try.

I've tried this as well but using a different router and it's working on my end.

Somehow, yours is kind of a special case Smiley Happy

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 15 of 15