× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4500v2 firmware update failed

Barry_Colson
Aspirant

WNDR4500v2 firmware update failed

Installed update and waited for counter to stop.  Could not get a connection.  Saw light on router blinking, turned off router, waited 30 seconds then turned router back on.  Tried to connect to internet but could not.  Reset router to factory default but still could not connect to the internet. Connection attempts to the router failed.  Anyone know what my next step would be?

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: WNDR4500v2 firmware update failed

Sound advice from @wcalifas831. Here is Netgear's take on it.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That is a bit out of date in that it does not tell you that Windows has a TFTP function built in, you just have to enable it.

• Control Panel
  • Programs and Features
  • Turn Windows features on or off
  • TFTP client - enable   

That's probably easier than retrieving software from a website.

TFTP is a "command line" utility. In Windows it runs from a Command Prompt window. Get there with Winkey + R and enter cmd.

To write the firmware to the device you need to type in:

TFTP -i 192.168.1.1 put {firmware}

where {firmware} is the name of the firmware file you retrieved.

Put the firmware in a directory you can get at, and run TFTP from there.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

@Barry_Colson wrote:

Reset router to factory default but still could not connect to the internet.

What does the power LED look like?

Message 2 of 6
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Is the bliinking light just the power light blinking? I've unbricked my wndr4500 before using the tftp method. Look on youtube and follow the steps on "how to debrick a router" You'll have to download a program to your computer called tftp2. You'll have to change a few setings on the ethernet adapter (Ip settings) which those videos will show. You'll also need to download whatever firmware you want to load on it from the netgear website under the support section for your specific model.

Message 3 of 6

Sound advice from @wcalifas831. Here is Netgear's take on it.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That is a bit out of date in that it does not tell you that Windows has a TFTP function built in, you just have to enable it.

• Control Panel
  • Programs and Features
  • Turn Windows features on or off
  • TFTP client - enable   

That's probably easier than retrieving software from a website.

TFTP is a "command line" utility. In Windows it runs from a Command Prompt window. Get there with Winkey + R and enter cmd.

To write the firmware to the device you need to type in:

TFTP -i 192.168.1.1 put {firmware}

where {firmware} is the name of the firmware file you retrieved.

Put the firmware in a directory you can get at, and run TFTP from there.

Message 4 of 6
Barry_Colson
Aspirant

This worked like a champ!!! I appreciate the cmd info and the TFTP was in Win10 as you said.  I really appreciate all the responses.  I had to wait a while to make sure everything was working with no other problems.

Thanks, again!!

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 5 of 6

@Barry_Colson wrote:

This worked like a champ!!! I appreciate the cmd info and the TFTP was in Win10 as you said.

Glad it worked out.

Since I posted my response, Netgear has updated the advice on using TFTP in Windows:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Strange grammar, but it has the information.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7