WNDR4500v2 firmware upgrade & WakeOnLan

SjoerdJansen
Aspirant

WNDR4500v2 firmware upgrade & WakeOnLan

Hello,

I own a Netgear WNDR4500 v2, firmware on: V1.0.0.56_1.0.36.

I want to upgrade to the newest firmware: 1.0.0.60 

But everytime I try to upgrade in the management interface (192.168.1.1) it gives me a pop-up that says: incorrect firmware.

I searched the internet, didn't found someone with the same problem. Did i choose the correct new firmware for my device or did i forgot something?

Second, I want to use Wake On Lan on my personal pc 192.168.1.100. I installed everything as it should be (energy settings, bios, open port 9 on the Netgear, however WOL only works on LAN.

I want to use it from an external location over WAN, I tried but it only works within a few minutes after I shutdown my pc. 

I found on the internet someting about the mac-adres entry is deleted from the ARP table? I looks like the problem i have, but I don't know how to fix that in my router.

If someone could help me, thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 12
wetenhr
Tutor

Re: WNDR4500v2 firmware upgrade & WakeOnLan

This may sound stupid, but I made this mistake - did you unzip the firmware download first?  You'll get a fail unless you point to the unzipped file. 

Hope this helps. 

Richard

Message 2 of 12
SjoerdJansen
Aspirant

Yes, of course. Forgot to mention that. I tried to use the .chk file for updating the router.

Message 3 of 12
wetenhr
Tutor

OK.  Thought it would be worth the obvious first! (The other one, of course, is trying the firmware for WNDR4500v1 and wondering why that doesn't work). 

Try instead to upgrade to an intermediate release of firmware.  Firmware 1.0.0.42 or 1.0.0.54 would both be sensible points to go for.  

If that doesn't work, I would suggest you try to reinstall your current release of firmware, either by reflashing (which should keep your settings) or by factory reset.  If you have to do the latter I would do a back-up of your settings first, as you can reload them after you've upgradded the firmware.  Also, if you do the factory reset, I would then upgrade the firmware as the first thing you do, prior to reinstalling your settings from the backup.  

Hope this helps.

R

PS Can't help on your Wake-On-LAN issue - not a feature I use.   

Message 4 of 12
SjoerdJansen
Aspirant

Very thanks for your answer!

I'm gonna try the solutions you give me. I report back when it's don

Message 5 of 12
wetenhr
Tutor

Sorry - just realised I suggested you upgrade to releases that were before your release.  I had you down as being on 1.0.0.36, not 1.0.0.56.  I think you will need to go for the reflash of 1.0.0.56, or the back-up and factory restore.  

R

Message 6 of 12
SjoerdJansen
Aspirant

Yeah that's right. I'm gonna try a factory reset first, if it doesn't work I go for the reflash.

Message 7 of 12
SjoerdJansen
Aspirant

It's fixed! Suddenly the auto update works again.

I'm now on: Firmwareversion V1.0.0.60_1.0.38

Still don't get the Wake On Lan working Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 12
wetenhr
Tutor

Great, glad to hear that worked.  

Hope someone else can help with your WoL issue.  

R

Message 9 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update.

However, home router such as yours does not support WoL.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 12
SjoerdJansen
Aspirant

I know, officially Smiley Wink.

But I was thinking if i send a magic packet to the right port number and make a port forward to the static IP from my PC it will work?

Message 11 of 12
storm1985
Prodigy

@SjoerdJansen go ahead test it! Let us know if it works for you. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements