Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR4500v2 settings get wiped out after loss of internet connection

WNDR4500v2
I configured the router to use 192.168.0.222 as it's IP address.
Have been using this IP address for every router I've used since 2003.

The issue is that when I lose the internet connection due to an ISP problem (Time Warner), the router reverts back to 192.168.1.1 and the port forwarding settings get wiped out.
Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR4500v2 settings get wiped out after loss of internet connection

Is your modem set as a modem/router or just plain modem?
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the modem is bridged, it may still output some data on the LAN using its default subnet during initialisation (many cable modems do), and this can trigger the attached router to change its LAN subnet to avoid conflicts. This might not be a preferred option, but you could try setting the ‘4500 subnet to one of the other private ranges e.g. 10.0.0.x
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yeah, well, the whole idea is do avoid changing the router to some other IP/subnet.
I expect the router's settings to "stay put" until /while the modem is figuring itself out.
THis way no matter what modem is being used due to replacement/upgrade the router always works without having to reconfigure it
So there is no way to disable this other than changing the IP the router uses ?
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:
Is your modem set as a modem/router or just plain modem?

It's a plain modem, but when it loses it's connection due to an ISP issue while it's waiting to receive an IP address it temporarily self assigns a temporary IP of 192.168.0.x which causes the router to a) change it's own IP address and B) wipe out port forwarding settings.
All I want is the router to 'stay put" until the internet connection returns.
Granted it only happens a few times a year...but it is a pain
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I was thinking you could try that as a test to see if that might be the issue. You could save your current configuration then change the subnet, and reload the saved configuration later, or is the issue too infrequent to make that practical?
Highlighted
Aspirant

It's infrequent but so are car accidents. You don't want it happening Smiley Happy
I have since switched the router's software to dd-wrt but have yet to test wha it does after the loss of the internet connnection when the modem decides to use the an IP on the same subnet as the router.
A simple configuration check box would eliminate this or the modem not attempting to self assign an ip if it's not getting one from the ISP.
Hopefully dd-wrt eliminates this issue altogether and we shall never have to speak of it again.
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, I realise it’s undesirable, but my ‘infrequent’ point was that if it was far more frequent then the disruption to your network while testing with a different subnet would be minimised. If the issue only occurs every other day then it might not be practical for you to change the subnet. I‘m guessing that if you manually reset the modem (simple power cycle) then the issue might occur? This would show in a Wireshark capture for a directly connected PC, you would see a Private IP e.g. 192.168.1.100 from the modem.

I do hope that the DD-WRT software works for you. The purpose of the Netgear action of changing the LAN subnet is to avoid the issue where routing can become impossible, where the WAN and LAN subnet are the same, it’s automatic so that it leaves the user with a functioning network. But in any case I’m only assuming that this could have been your original issue.
Highlighted
Aspirant

How about this? Let's call it shotsighted and not use words that will cause this post to be censored.
Now we can all be buddies. Smiley Very Happy
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements