WNDR4500v3 has slower speeds - Not Fixed

Wally74
Aspirant

WNDR4500v3 has slower speeds - Not Fixed

I am new to this community and would appreciate help from someone wiser than me.  I have recently acquired two used WNDR4500 v3 routers to upgrade my LAN speeds to Gigabit. I plan to replace two 10/100 routers that have 803.11g Wifi.

A laptop with Gigabit ethernet card and 2.4G Wifi card is being used to test the routers. The laptop Wifi recently speed tested at ~50Mbps down and upload on a hotel 803.11n wireless network.  The laptop ethernet card speed tests at ~500 Mbps down and ~137Mbps upload when directly wired into my fiber optics gateway.

Router #1 was acquired with firmware V1.0.0.56, first reset to default, next sucessfully installed latest firmware V1.0.0.58 and then tested.

Wired speeds are ~95 Mbps down, 95 Mbps up. Wireless speeds are 14 Mbps down, 32 Mbps up.

Router #2 was acquired with firmware V1.0.0.48, first reset to default, and then tested. I have not attempted to install V1.0.0.58.

Wired speeds are ~450 Mbps down, ~137 Mbps up. Wireless speeds are 25 Mbps down, 52 Mbps up.

QoS is not enabled on either router.  I do not plan to game.  Channels have been set to minimize interference with other wireless.  Laptop distance to router is about 5 feet, clear line of sight. With exception of admin password and wireless channel, all settings are default. With exception of speed, all functions appear normal, steady and consistent. Same ethernet cables being used to test both routers. Both routers activate the Gigabit activity light on the gateway.  Only one router is powered up and connected when speed tested.

I would like to get to wired 450 Mbps download, 137 Mbps up on both routers.  I would like to get wireless to around 50Mbps up and down like I did in the hotel on same laptop.

Am I missing something? Can someone explain my dilemma?

Message 1 of 6

Re: WNDR4500v3 has slower speeds - Not Fixed

Can we boil that down to essentials?

Have you factory reset these devices after applying new firmware?

What is the modem in front of these routers?

Did you restart the whole network in the right order after each change?

There is a manual for the WNDR4500v3 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> WNDR4500v3 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6
Wally74
Aspirant

Thanks Micheal.   No and No.

I will first try a router reset with the new firmware.  Then I will restart the entire system. 

I assume the correct sequence starts with the device closest  to my provider, the optical network termination.  Next closesest and second to restart is the provider supplied router, a Zyxel 3415.  I have been getting providers speed by a wired ethernet connection into the 3415.  The third restart would be the Netgear WNDR4500v3.  The final restart would be the laptop.

I will let you know the results.

Message 3 of 6
wcalifas
Virtuoso

Another thing you can check is that the wifi password algorithm is set to WPA2-AES on both bands for each router to achieve maximum speeds. You will get faster speeds on the 5g band but shorter distance while the 2.4 ghz reaches farther at slower speeds.

Message 4 of 6

@Wally74 wrote:

I assume the correct sequence starts with the device closest  to my provider, the optical network termination.  Next closesest and second to restart is the provider supplied router, a Zyxel 3415. 

I am not familiar with optical network terminations (ONTs). I did ask about the "modem" earlier but got no response.

The appearance of the Zyxel 3415 is also news to this discussion. All that I can find on this is that it is a "gateway" that, as you say, seems to be a router. (That is why I asked about the modem, we need to know what sits between the Netgear devices and the Internet.)

Two, or more, routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

For the sake of your sanity, and to make is easier to configure and manage your network, the WNDR4500v3 should be in access point mode.

In the manual, check the section Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point.

You could also look at Set Up the Router in Bridge Mode if you fancy the idea of using the WNDR4500v3 as a wifi repeater. But doing that will depend on the capabilities of the Zyxel 3415. It may not support that configuration.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 6
Wally74
Aspirant

Michael:

My problem is solved but not with any of the suggestions you generously provided.  I tried them all, without success.    Then I rearranged the laptop PC and the NETGEAR4500v3 and the speed went up 50%.  Encouraged I separated them by about 10 feet and the speeds immediately went to the "entitlement" speeds available at the Cincinnati Bell provided Zyxel 3415 gateway (has 2.4 and 5G WiFi). I am getting 450Mbps wired Gigabit PC, 48Mbps to a 2.4 G laptop, 130Mbps to a 5G iMac on both NETGEAR routers. Demonstration of these speeds completed my testing of the used NETGEAR4500v3 's.  

My plan, and as  you suggested, is using the NETGEAR4500v3 's as wireless access points (WAP) set up as recommended by NETGEAR using fixed ip addresses.   The Zyxel 3415 gateway is in the basement, next to the ONT and a MoCA for distribution of the ethernet TV over co-axial cable.  The Zyxel 3415 wifi signal, particularly the 5G, from this location is not strong for the rest of the house and porches.  Placing both WAPs on top of TV armoir on first floor seems to solve that problem.   I have a guest/entertainment network and a personal business network, each with a WAP.  After setting up the WAP's, I am getting 90% or greater of the entitlement speeds through out the house.

The business network is protected by a second router.  I have evidence that a prior Cincinnati Bell provided modem/router had a "backdoor" allowing Cincinnati Bell, and perhaps others, to see how many devices and what kind were connected. So I don't trust the Zyxel 3415 either.

Thanks for your help.  I had no idea the Wifi router and PC could be too close.   wally '74

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E