× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4700 LAN Port speed

SriniK
Aspirant

WNDR4700 LAN Port speed

I have been using WNDR4700 Centria since about 2012.  Due to the work from home situation a lot of connections are being used and I am trying to optimize my home network.  I need help with below:

1. what is the speed I should expect out of the 4 LAN ports on WNDR4700.  I have a 300Mbps internet connection from VMedia and a Hitron modem.  When the laptop is connected to the directly to the modem, speedtest shows 300-350mbps. The modem LAN output is directly wired connected to WAN of WNDR4700.  When I connect my laptop / desktop to the LAN port of WNDR4700, hardly get 200 mbps and in rare case about 250mbps but nothing beyond it.  Is this expected or what speed should I expect out of the LAN ports of WNDR4700.
  2. 2 LAN ports (#3 & 4) are dead.  No ethernet on these ports.  is it possible to fix these ports?
Model: WNDR4700|Centria - Storage router
Message 1 of 10

Re: WNDR4700 LAN Port speed

@SriniK wrote:
  1. what is the speed I should expect out of the 4 LAN ports on WNDR4700.  I have a 300Mbps internet connection from VMedia and a Hitron modem. 

Check the manual:

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

1. speed expectations? Several things can impact speeds. Try factory resetting. during the install process make sure to leave qos, traffic monitor, parental controls, and access controls all disabled. some speed testing results under optimal conditions. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31894-netgear-wndr4700-centria-reviewed?st...

2. Lan ports dead. do they light up at all? are the wires bent? did they ever work? its tough to troubleshoot ports off limited info as well as if its a hardware failure, it might not be fixable. 

3. what hiltron modem is it? 

Message 3 of 10
SriniK
Aspirant

Thanks @plemans for your reply.  Here are my further answers to your questions.

1. speed expectations? Several things can impact speeds. Try factory resetting. during the install process make sure to leave qos, traffic monitor, parental controls, and access controls all disabled. some speed testing results under optimal conditions. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31894-netgear-wndr4700-centria-reviewed?st...

[srini] Will try factory resetting over the weekend as there are 4 of us working from home :).  However once all these resets are done.  How much speed should i expect out of the LAN port?  Is it like 100% or 95% or 60% of the speed that goes into WAN port.  Like I said the speed output from Modem is between 300-350mbps which is directly going into the WAN port of WNDR4700.

2. Lan ports dead. do they light up at all? are the wires bent? did they ever work? its tough to troubleshoot ports off limited info as well as if its a hardware failure, it might not be fixable. 

[srini] no they do not light up.  No the wires are not bent, tried with different ethernet cables. Yes they were working earlier.  #4 went bad about an year ago and #3 was working till at least about 4 months ago when I checked last.  I bought this unit in 2012 and did not have the need to use the LAN ports till now.

3. what hiltron modem is it?

[srini] CDA3-20

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

Let me know how the factory reset goes. 

You might also try reinstalling the firmware prior to the reset. If somethings corrupt in the firmware, you'd need to reinstall the firmware to overwrite it. A reset only clears out old settings. 

Message 5 of 10
SriniK
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion @michaelkenward .  Those were the first things I did.  Looked the manual, checked the support pages and did an internet search but could not find an answer.  All I can see everywhere is that it depends on a lot of factors.  No where I could see an explanation as to what are the factors and how they affect the speed or a reference table which says, with these settings, this can be the o/p.  That is why I want to know it from the manufacturer.

1. Is the speed output at LAN ports, 100% of what goes into the WAN port

2. or is it some % of input based on some conditions, what are the conditions and how do they impact the speed.

3. what should be the settings if the o/p speed has to be maximum and how does these settings impact them.

All I want to know is how should I setup the WNDR4700 for optimum performance or should i be accepting this drop of 100mbps from WNDR4700, right at the first step of my home networking.

Note: this unit is about 8years old bought in 2012-13.  I have kept the firmware up to date.  I reboot all devices connected to network once a week, including power cycling.  So I am looking setup my home networking for an optimal performance.

Thanks.

Srini

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

if nothing is inspecting traffic and it should hit around that 700mbps per the prior testing. 

Problem is if you're using anything that has to inspect traffic, then the cpu has to inspect it and its not up to the task of 100% passthrough. its to much from that old of a cpu. 

That's why I recommend the reset and making sure to leave anything like qos, access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls all disabled

Message 7 of 10
SriniK
Aspirant

@plemans 

1. made sure no processings enabled  qos, access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls.  no change port 1 & 2 gives an speed of about 300-350Mbps.  Port 3 about 150Mbps.  Port 4 does not connect.

2. reset to factory setting both through Netgear Genie and hard reset -pressing the reset pin.  No change or improvement.

3. reloaded the firmware.  No change or improvement.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

What hiltron modem is it? 

Message 9 of 10

@plemans wrote:

What hiltron modem is it? 

Indeed. Kind of important detail.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors