• 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR4700 Not forcing IP Reservations

I have set IP Reservations on our WDNR4700 since day one of replacing our Linksys with this router. As of at least a couple weeks ago I noticed my kids still accessing the internet after the timed Service Block (which is also flaky but I'll save that to another thread).

So Last night again we were heading to bed and the light on the Modem is showing Network traffic so I check and the kids are online. I then check connected Devices and none of the devices are using the x.x.x.3x IPs I set for each device via IP Reservations. Instead every device including mine is using x.x.x.5x IP addresses from the DHCP pool. Smiley Sad I even unplugged the Router and Modem last night and left them off till this morning and they still stayed with the x.x.x.5x IPs.

What is the purpose of setting IP reservations via MAC address through the router if it doesn't even enforce these IPs?

Any ideas what is wrong with this router? I have never had this issue with any of the Linksys Routers I have used over the past what 10+ years?
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: WNDR4700 Not forcing IP Reservations

How are you setting this up? As I recall all you have to do is add to list, no reason to change IP range.
Message 2 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

using x.x.x.5x

You don't have to hid private IP.. Makes not security issues to that

I set for each device via IP Reservations. Instead every device including mine is using x.x.x.5x IP addresses from the DHCP pool. I even unplugged the Router and Modem last night and left them off till this morning and they still stayed with the x.x.x.5x IPs.

If you double check and kids PC has not have static IP at all then seems address reservation is not working correctly
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have DHCP set to start at 10.0.0.50. Then anything I want to have Reserved is set to a 10.0.0.3x address so there are no chance of conflict issues.

Unfortunatly all devices have started just pulling from the regular DHCP's 10.0.0.5x area. Never had a router that has dropped the ball like this. I have heard good things about Netgear and liked the option of the internal Hard Drive but unfortunatly this router's Fail list is going up more. Just wish I would have bought it on a sale instead of near full price when it came out since it just doesn't do the job of a router and will more than likely need to be replaced soon. Also because I'm also not comfortable with it only saving our data to one single drive. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I have DHCP set to start at 10.0.0.50. Then anything I want to have Reserved is set to a 10.0.0.3x address so there are no chance of conflict issues.

If you are going to use "Address Reservation" options then IP must be WITHIN the DHCP range

What you are doing OUTSIDE the DHCP range will be setting up STATIC IP you would do on each device itself
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 16
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No reason to mess with DHCP just use several IP's in consecutive order if several PC's need the rule applied.

You're reserving IP's out side of DHCP Range is the problem as far I as can tell. I believe the reserve function IS part of DHCP. Reserving IP's is not the same as setting a static, so NO need to set IP's out of DHCP range.
Message 6 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Been very busy since I last posted and wanted to post what I found but jmizoguchi already mentioned it.

Reserved IPs after the last update need to be within the DHCP range. FYI, the older firmware did allow Reserved IPs outside of the DHCP Range.
Message 7 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

AwwShoot wrote:

Reserved IPs after the last update need to be within the DHCP range. FYI, the older firmware did allow Reserved IPs outside of the DHCP Range.

Thanks for the updates.

I'm not exactly certain on all netgear model using "address reservation IP" alert by the firmware to say you can or not but always "within" the DHCP range is norma because DHPC table must know correctly.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 16
Highlighted

jmizoguchi wrote:
but always "within" the DHCP range is norma because DHPC table must know correctly.

I don't mean to "come at you" jmizoguchi, I know you post a lot and care a lot about this forum, but I just created a forum account to address your response. I've seen you make this assertion several times on this forum, and you're simply--flat-out--wrong. The DHCP RFC makes NO such mandate that address reservations must be within a configured lease table. Further, what the poster is attempting to do is ABSOLUTELY standard practice! DHCP absolutely supports address reservations outside the lease table, it is done all the time. It is Netgear who is wrong here, as are you in defending their mistake.

I'd ask that you not attempt to correct users who are asking for feature requests if you are not absolutely sure you're right or are otherwise an expert in that realm. When it comes to DHCP, you're wrong. This is a feature that I also have been waiting for, and was hoping to see Netgear address. By shushing other owners who want to do the same things I'm hoping to see, you're acting to tamp down the chances of Netgear actually fixing this router. Then again, at this point, I've given up hope that Netgear will actually fix this piece of crap router...they've obviously left it die on the vine.
Message 9 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Have nice day
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well said. After years of working with enterprise network gear, I'm finding it very frustrating to deal with this consumer stuff in retirement. It wouldn't be so bad if they'd follow the RFCs, or indicate when they don't, but we're forced to rely on their inadequate documentation and eventually come to the forums to find out why it doesn't work. It doesn't give me a good feeling about signing up for paid support, either.

FWIW, the N900 WNDR4500v2, which I bought specifically because they claimed to support DHCP address reservation, doesn't-work the same way.

Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @mfanetgear,

Welcome to the community!

I apologize for the trouble you're having with the device.

What's the current firmware version installed on your router?

I have already forwarded this to our engineering department and will let you know as soon as I get a response. 

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks, Elaine. I eventually figured it out, I think. Netgear DHCP allocates all addresses from the DHCP dynamic pool (as others have mentioned). You can "reserve" an address, but it must be in the pool. Don't know yet how/if conflicts are handled. I think I like "my" way better (i.e., reserved addresses are not in the dynamic pool, but I'd like to think about it a bit more. Having problems finding an RFC that specifically addresses this issue; appears so far that it's left as a vendor option.

Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mfanetgear I tried replicating this using a different model (WNDR4700 is not available) I have reserved an IP address outside the DHCP range and was able to get those reserved IP's assigned on the devices. See the screenshot below.

addresrv.png

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks again. What model were you working with for this test? And, might we expect some consistency across Netgear's product line some day?

After thinking about this for a while, I remain in favor of allowing the user/administrator to specify address reservations outside the dynamic range; they are, really, just static addresses that are assigned dynamically if the device issues a DHCP request. It allows all devices to use DHCP, which makes configuration easier, And, finally, it provides a convenient way of documenting all network addresses in one place.

Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mfanetgear It was R8000 model.

I have forwarded this to the engineering department for verification whether it was intended for those model numbers or they missed something.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 16 of 16