• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR4700 not fully enforcing Services Block

Issue 2 we have been fighting with the WNDR4700 since we bought it are its lackluster Services block.

If for instance our kids are playing Minecraft and it hits the timeframe for the services block, it only blocks new connections! If they are already online playing they are able to continue playing online!

The only way to actually enforce this block is to actually reboot the model disconnecting all network traffic.

Again, what gives with this router. I have used all Linksys routers till this Netgear, and now miss this feature actually working as well as being able to set MULTIPLE Service blocks, criterias, and time frames. I used to be able to set School night blocks, separate device blocks for when either kid broke a rule and lost internet, weekend cut offs and more. Now I'm stuck with one block and it does not actually cut all communication to and from the PC when it is supposed to.

Am I missing something with the setup?

Right now I have the intended Devices set up with an "Any" block for TCP/UDP from port 1 through port 65535.

Thanks for your time. Actually right now this doesn't really matter since the router is not even enforcing IP reservations. Smiley Sad

Other than the IP Reservations and this internet services block, it has been a nice router.
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: WNDR4700 not fully enforcing Services Block

Netgear doesn't offer what you're looking for regarding blocking. I used same router for a while and the address reservations work for me, I had 15 reservations and never had a problem.

As for blocking none of the Netgear SOHO routers will meet your needs.
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Virtuoso

If for instance our kids are playing Minecraft and it hits the timeframe for the services block, it only blocks new connections! If they are already online playing they are able to continue playing online!

The only way to actually enforce this block is to actually reboot the model disconnecting all network traffic.

This is typical behavior of block which are finding correctly.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

LOL Well that's discouraging considering the price they charged me for this router. Smiley Sad

Wondering if Netgear has this correctly working on any of their routers or if they just didn't find it important enough. Smiley Sad

Looks like I may be looking back towards Linksys. Smiley Sad I liked the Genie allowing me to check over my network quickly off my phone too. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 4