Aspirant

WNR2000, QoS, Xbox Live, Torrents

Router: WNR2000 (Says this on router homepage, but says WNB2100) Router Status Hardware Version - WNR2000 Firmware Version - V1.2.3.7 GUI Language Version - V1.1.5.9 Internet Port MAC Address - 00:1F:33:EF:22:9A IP Address 80.192.x.x DHCP - DHCPClient IP Subnet Mask - 255.255.248.0 Domain Name Server - 194.168.4.100 / 194.168.8.100 LAN Port MAC Address - 00:1F:33:EF:22:99 IP Address - 192.168.1.1 DHCP - On IP Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0 Wireless Port Name (SSID) - wilsonrouter Region - Europe Channel - Auto( 6(p)+10(s) ) Mode - Up to 300 Mbps Wireless AP - On Broadcast Name - On Wi-Fi Protected Setup - Configured Ok my problem/questions are as follows... My brother downloads torrents quite a lot. This affects my Xbox Live ping. I bought the WNR2000 router for its QoS features. I have followed the instructions on the router's setup page to enable QoS on specified Mac Addresses. However, when I attempt to refresh the Mac Address list in Priority Rules, it will not show all the computers on the network. It only shows the computer you are accessing the router's setup homepage from. I've tried and tested this and I'm 99% sure this is what it is doing. So, after attempting to add the Mac Addresses from the refreshable list, I decided to add them maually instead as I know the Mac Addresses of all devices that conect to our network. I did this, setting my brothers computer to low, and my xbox to highest. I tried to play a game and it was still lagging and had a high ping. So I accepted that I couldn't get this feature to work. As a last resort I ticked Turn Bandwidth Control On whilst leaving the Uplink Bandwidth speed at default (256Kbps). This in a way solved my problem, my games on Xbox Live had a good ping and my brother's torrent speeds slowed down. So my questions are... Why will the router not find the Mac Addresses on my network automatically? Why doesn't the QoS feature seem to work when I add Mac Addresses manually? What does the Bandwidth Control feature actually do? What speed do I enter for Uplink Bandwidth? I have searched the user manual to no avail. Thanks for any help Somemore useful info... ISP: Virginmedia Brothers PC: Pakard Bell OS: Windows XP Wireless Dongle: USB 54g Xbox Wireless Adaptor: USB 54g
Message 1 of 25
Virtuoso

Re: WNR2000, QoS, Xbox Live, Torrents

My brother downloads torrents quite a lo

make sure concurrent connection is less than 100 if not possible router lockup

his affects my Xbox Live ping

versa versa, using xbox will hog the bandwidth can other usage to be slow

Why will the router not find the Mac Addresses on my network automatically?

it is possible the if router is not showing the attach devices with corresponding IP and mac address , it may fail on QoS.

Why doesn't the QoS feature seem to work when I add Mac Addresses manually?

that could be difference from not showing in attach devices vs to manually tell the router since any devices will have IP based on mac address regardless of listing in attach devices. if ARP request did not return from the device, it will not show under attach devices

What does the Bandwidth Control feature actually do?

it control the bandwidth to the device you want to limit

What speed do I enter for Uplink Bandwidth?

depends on your upload availability
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 25
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

What is the concurrent connection and how do I set it to less than 100?

If my router does fail on QoS, what does this mean?

All devices connected to the router show under attached devices, however some say unknown device (but I know which is which because I know the Mac Addresses of all devices on our network). Is there anyway to make the Mac Addresses refresh in the list in the QoS setup?

So if I find out my upload speed, I can set the uplink bandwidth to this? And will this stop the bandwidth being hogged on torrents or anything else?

Thanks
Message 3 of 25
Virtuoso

What is the concurrent connection and how do I set it to less than 100?

torrent app

If my router does fail on QoS, what does this mean?

nothing is prioritize and all get to share the bandwidth
read up on wikipedia "QoS" function

All devices connected to the router show under attached devices, however some say unknown device (but I know which is which because I know the Mac Addresses of all devices on our network). Is there anyway to make the Mac Addresses refresh in the list in the QoS setu

ARP request is not properly responded by the device will not show the name correctly but doesn't mean it will not work

So if I find out my upload speed, I can set the uplink bandwidth to this? And will this stop the bandwidth being hogged on torrents or anything else?

you have adjust and see what works best for you. both are hogging devices .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 25
Aspirant

Thank you for replying again.

I am struggling to draw a solution from your posts, sorry if I am missing something.

I suppose my ultimate question is...

What are the possible ways that I can set up this router so that utorrent will not hog the bandwidth and how do I achieve them?

Sorry I am very new to this router and networking.

Thanks again
Message 5 of 25
Virtuoso

nofxdude wrote:
Thank you for replying again.

I am struggling to draw a solution from your posts, sorry if I am missing something.

I suppose my ultimate question is...

What are the possible ways that I can set up this router so that utorrent will not hog the bandwidth and how do I achieve them?

Sorry I am very new to this router and networking.

Thanks again

you can also able to change the bandwidth usage on torrent app as well.

or QoS and prioritize it
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 25
Aspirant

Thanks for replyingSmiley Happy

I'm afraid it is one of those situations where I am unable to change seetings in the torrent program.

I have tried adding my brother's Mac Address in QoS from the refresh list but no devices on our network will show on it.

I have tried adding my brother's Mac Address manually and setting its priority to low but it seems to have no effect on the bandwidth it is using. Why does this not work????

I don't believe adding the ports utorrent uses to QoS will have any effect because utorrent uses a random port and my brother can also change it.

What am I doing wrong????:confused:

Thanks
Message 7 of 25
Virtuoso

not sure if QoS in itself if failing in firmware.

might contact support on this.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 25
Aspirant

Thank you very much.

I am doing trial and error tests as we speak.

When I enable the Uplink Bandwidth feature, it seems to stop utorrent from using up all the bandwidth. I left the speed at default (256kbps) as I was still unsure as to what number to enter.

However, I would like to be able to use the QoS priority feature properly.

Thanks for your help so far. Much appreciated.
Message 9 of 25
Virtuoso

nofxdude wrote:
Thank you very much.

I am doing trial and error tests as we speak.

When I enable the Uplink Bandwidth feature, it seems to stop utorrent from using up all the bandwidth. I left the speed at default (256kbps) as I was still unsure as to what number to enter.

However, I would like to be able to use the QoS priority feature properly.

Thanks for your help so far. Much appreciated.

QoS is not too technical in the WNR2000. specify correctly based on prioritize level it should work.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 25
Aspirant

I managed to find out what port utorrent was using, so I set a low priority on that port. It did not help the bandwidth. It does seem as if the QoS priority feature is not workingSmiley Sad

I wonder why the QoS priority feature has no affect?

I have done tests with the uplink bandwidth which seems to help my problem. I think my ISP provides 768 Kbps. Based on this, if I have 2 devices connected to the network, do I set the uplink speed to 384 Kbps? And if I have 4 Devices, do I set the uplink speed to 192 Kbps? Is this how the Bandwidth Control feature works?

Thanks
Message 11 of 25
Virtuoso

QoS prioritize which devices has more prioritizes which is level by high, low etc

bandwidth amount is totally amount allocated for the QoS and based the priority of level. it defines which will have priority to have traffic
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 25
Aspirant

Are you saying QoS priorities work based on what Uplink Speed is set?

So do I need to set an Uplink Speed as well as QoS priorities?

Thanks
Message 13 of 25
Virtuoso

nofxdude wrote:
Are you saying QoS priorities work based on what Uplink Speed is set? So do I need to set an Uplink Speed as well as QoS priorities? Thanks
?????? bandwidth does not make each one to have specific. if you have 500Kbps for QOS banswidth priority level will make one to have more quality of service others and because the highest priority means it take 90% of bandwidth. traffic is PRIORITIZE
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 14 of 25
Aspirant

Sorry but I am struggling to understandSmiley Sad

Please can you give me STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS for QoS to stop utorrent using all the bandwidth.

Thank you
Message 15 of 25
Virtuoso

nofxdude wrote:
Sorry but I am struggling to understandSmiley Sad

Please can you give me STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS for QoS to stop utorrent using all the bandwidth.

Thank you

????????? for get about the bandwidth from you head.

you want xbox high and torrents LOW

priority high as more traffic capability over low priority level.

bandwidth is overall QoS allowable amount if you set to use ex.256Kbps on bandwidth and ex 756kbps left on upload, priority plays only with given 256Kbps. if you set two priority high and low of two qos level and within 256Kbps, high level has more priority of traffic

you can use just QoS with ex. 256Kbps and low priority and let xbox use non QoS which should sits on ex 756Kpbs
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 16 of 25
Aspirant

I have tried everything you have said and it does not work, utorrent is still slowing down the network's speed.

Is my QoS broken?

Do I have a problem with my firmware?
Message 17 of 25
Virtuoso

nofxdude wrote:
I have tried everything you have said and it does not work, utorrent is still slowing down the network's speed.

Is my QoS broken?

Do I have a problem with my firmware?

I would contact support.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 18 of 25
Aspirant

I have opened a case with technical support. This is what I sent:

Hi,

My brother is downloading torrents 24/7 and it is using up all our bandwidth (10Mb download/512Kb upload). I bought this router for its QoS feature. I have atempted to use the QoS feature to stop this from happening and have not been succesful.

I have tried adding QoS priorities to Mac Addresses on the network. However, when I refresh the list, no devices show, except the one which I am using to access the router settings page (my computer).

I have tried adding my brother''s computer''s Mac Address manually (I know it from writing it down from our previous router). I have added my brothers computer manually and set him to a low priority but it has no effect on his computer using the bandwidth for downloading torrents.

On the QoS setup page, I have the following settings:

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multi-media) Settings
TICKED

Turn Internet Access QoS On
TICKED

Turn Bandwidth Control On
TICKED

Uplink bandwidth
512Kbps maximum (I have also tried several figures lower than this)

===============

I do not want to block my brother''s access to the router and internet, but I want to stop his torrent downloads from hogging the bandwidth. He will not set his torrent program (utorrent) to a lower bandwidth usage either. So the only way I can make sure the Bandwidth is shared is through the router (I hope).

I have atempted to receive help off your forums. The person I was speaking to was jmizoguchi, but due to the fact I could not understand his English too well, I wasn''t 100% sure what his advice was.

The thread from the forums is here:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=47250

Please help me. What am I doing wrong? I have read other problems on the forums regarding QoS and Mac Addresses.

Thanks very much,

Dave
Message 19 of 25
Aspirant

Hello,

I had the same problem and although i can't help u with the router setup i can tell u that your problem is with the uploads. Have your brother set his uploads to a minimum or even off altogether, all this does is restrict people from uploading stuff from him. hope that helps, it worked for me.
Message 20 of 25
Aspirant

So if he isn't uploading to torrents (but still downloading from them) then it won't steal the bandwidth? And will I have a good ping on Xbox Live?

Thanks for your help
Message 21 of 25
Aspirant

I tried setting his uploads to minimum and it did help to some extent. I didn't get as much lag on Xbox Live. However, when testing another computer on the network, the loading of webpages was still very slow (I was not trying this whilst on Xbox Live, it was my computer vs my brothers computer). So I am still keen to get this QoS feature working correctly. Tech support got back to me with what seems to be an automated first response... Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is xxx and I will be your support engineer. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I understand that you are facing issues with your NETGEAR Wireless Router WNR2000. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Since we are doing this online, it may require a few mail exchanges before we can resolve the issue. Please be assured that I will do my best effort to help resolve your case in the least amount of time. Regarding your concern, I would request you to kindly upgrade/reflash the firmware on the router by following listed set of instructions, which should lead us to the desired solution. A. Visit the following link to download the latest firmware. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11895 B. Open the router page using the following way: 1. Connect a computer to the router using any one of the 4 available ports. 2. Open the browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape Navigator or Safari). 3. Access the router (usually http://192.168.1.1). 4. Login to the router (Username as 'admin' and Password as 'password' unless you have changed it). C. Please follow the steps to upload the firmware of the router: 1. Under Maintenance, click Router Upgrade. 2. Click Browse and locate the upgrade file. 3. Click Upload. 4. Wait for the router to reboot. 5. Click on 'Logout' (at the bottom of the list) from left menu. 6. Reset and reconfigure the router. Please do visit our knowledge base at: http://kb.netgear.com for any technical queries you have regarding NETGEAR products. We hope that the steps provided above would help resolve the problem/case. Please feel free to contact us again if you will require further assistance. A system generated e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address to inform you that we have responded to your inquiry. Please DO NOT REPLY to the e-mail sent to your e-mail address. Instead, if you want to reply to the message above and have additional query, please click "no" when the system ask you "Was your problem resolved with the information provided by the NETGEAR representative above?" When you select YES, your case will be closed and a separate e-mail containing a survey link will be sent to you to measure your customer support experience. Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day! Sincerely, I don't know whether or not my problem was read because I was told to upgrade/reflash to the latest firmware, which I had told them I had already done. But perhaps there was some relevance in reflashing, who knows? But unfortunately their 'solution' did not help. I still have the same results with QoS. Thanks for everyones time and effort they have put in to help solve this problem. I hope no one else is suffering like this!
Message 22 of 25
Aspirant

nofxdude, i feel your pain.

I have tired every config. I could think of until i stumbled onto something, still not 100% sure if it is working, but it appears to be.

Here is the problem:
I have 3 people trying to use a connection that allows for:
1.9Mb/s download and
256Kbps upload.

Originally, since I game, and my other 2 roomates download a lot, I put all 3 of our MAC address's in the QoS Priority rule set. I also included WoW as my game port set.
I set my MAC and WoW to highest.
I set my roomates to low.

I then set my Upload rate to something stupid like 32Kbps.

At this point, I realized that, I could not even use a VoiP program like Ventrilio (which wants 64Kbps) to communicate with. I realized then that the Upload rate is a limiter and since my MAC address was listed in the QoS list, even though it was set for HIGHEST priority, the Upload rate of 32kbps lagged me out of Vent to the point where no one could hear me. They usually heard like 3 or 4 words then I would cut out.

So, what I did last night was:

Remove WoW and my MAC from the QoS list.
I kept my 2 roomates MAC address's on the QoS list with a LOW setting.
I set the Upload rate to 64Kbps.
This, if my logic is right, leaves me the remaining 192Kbps

Even though my ping reports between 250 and 500ms in game, I have no more lag then when it's at 90ms which is normal when no one but me is home.
Also, Ventrilo works fine now.

I will follow up with this after tonight's raid and report if it works or not.
Message 23 of 25
Aspirant

kapp555,

I have done what you said and have some test results...

I switched on QoS and set the uplink bandwidth to 56Kbps, I then added my brother's computer's mac address manually (due to the fact it will not show up in the refreshable list) and set it to a low priority). I tried to play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, it found trouble connecting to a game but once I was in I had 3 green bars and sometimes 4. However, every so often it would drop in connection quality down to the red dot (worse connection).

I had a look at my brother's speeds on utorrent whilst I was in a game and the upload speeds were very low (0.5Kbps). The download speeds were also lower than usual but were still connecting at around 20Kbps in total.

From this it almost seems as though my Xbox and utorrent are fighting for the download bandwidth. Am I right in thinking that the QoS on this router is only for managing the upload bandwidth?

So after winning say half the battle, is there anyway to stop utorrent fighting for the download bandwidth when I'm on xbox live?

Hope you have had success with yours

Thanks for your help
Message 24 of 25
Aspirant

Still need help on this...anyone?
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation