× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNR2000 doesn't broadcast SSID, can't find it on list of wireless networks

Coach_Olsson
Tutor

WNR2000 doesn't broadcast SSID, can't find it on list of wireless networks

Hello,

I recently moved and after I got my internet up and running, I plugged in my WNR2000 router so I could wirelessly connect to the internet. After I set up the wireless in the browser, and turning on the hardware, I can't find the SSID in the list of internet connections from my computer. If I plug in the ethernet cable from the router to my computer, the internet works fine (how I am currently typing this). Help?

Thanks,

Coach

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Coach_Olsson, I’m pretty sure that your router has corrupted flash memory and you will not be able to change the firmware or turn on WiFi, I have sent you a PM with details on how to seek an RMA.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 18

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In the ‘Advanced Wireless Settings’ page of the router admin, check that ‘Enable SSID Broadcast’ is selected.

If it is selected then de-select, click ‘Apply’, then select it again and click ‘Apply’, basically toggle the option.

If that still does not work use the router option to save the current configuration, then factory reset the router. After the reset see if the SSID is being broadcast by checking with your wireless computer. If it is try restoring your settings and check again.

Message 2 of 18
Coach_Olsson
Tutor

Did it, didn't work.

Message 3 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Coach_Olsson,

Do you happen to have traffic meter enabled on the router? This is under "Advanced" tab. Kindly, uncheck if it's selected and let us know the result. However, if it's not selected, did you try upgrading the firmware?

Regards,

Message 4 of 18
Coach_Olsson
Tutor

Traffic meter is not enabled. Tried to upgrade firmware but...

firmware.jpg

Message 5 of 18
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Were you trying to upload firmware from a file previously downloaded to your PC, or were you using the router’s check for new firmware function?

Message 6 of 18
Coach_Olsson
Tutor

Using the router's check for new firmware.

Message 7 of 18
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OK, well it might be worth trying the other method, use the ‘Download’ option at the top of this webpage and enter your router model number then select the latest firmware for download to your PC, use the router upload option to install it. Take a note of the upgrade instructions also and make sure you note down any settings you have made or take screen grabs. Can you tell us your current version please?

Message 8 of 18
Coach_Olsson
Tutor

Says the same thing when I did it manually. Current verson is 1.0.0.50

Message 9 of 18
Coach_Olsson
Tutor

bump

Message 10 of 18
netwrks
Master

On the front of the WNR2000, is the wifi light Illuminated?  If not, press the WIFI button, just below it. Or Check the status of the wireless radio Page 71.

Message 11 of 18
Coach_Olsson
Tutor

Yes the wi-fi light is on.

I can't turn on the wireless radio, every time I check the box and hit submit, after it reloads the page it is unchecked again.

Message 12 of 18
netwrks
Master

I would try reflashing to factory, then downgrade to another version of firmware, if the router still won't let you change any settings.. 

Message 13 of 18
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Coach_Olsson, I’m pretty sure that your router has corrupted flash memory and you will not be able to change the firmware or turn on WiFi, I have sent you a PM with details on how to seek an RMA.

Message 14 of 18
troya13
Aspirant

I am having the same problem.  I have also tried all the steps in the fix tool and that didn't work either.

Please advise.

Message 15 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@troya13 When you say the same problem, you can't find the SSID or unable to upgrade the firmware of the router?

What fix tool you've tried? Can you let us know more details to determine the next action.

Message 16 of 18
troya13
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  My router has both issues- can't update firmware and doesn't broadcast SSID.  I tried the "WNR2000v4 fix tool- Unable to see WNR2000v4 wireless network nor update router’s firmware. "  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27207

Message 17 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@troya Kindly check your inbox.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements