Aspirant

WNR2000V2 in Bridge mode from wired to wireless network

Hello

I have a network with a subnet (192.168.1.0/24) which is connected to the i-net with a DSL gateway. A DHCP server is also running in the network. I want to use the WNR2000 router to connect the wireless devices to the same subnet 192.168.1.0/24 (so the wireless devices must get an IP from this range) as this is the only (easy) way to use printers, servers from the wireless devices such as phones, tabs within this 192.168.1.0/24 network. There are several network printers, server services,... within 192.168.1.0/24 which I want to use from wired and wireless devices. So no spawing an wireless network with a different subnet IP range, setting static routes is not an option.

However I failed with configuring the router, which I want to use in this case as a bridge from the wired to the wireless network. The webconfig does not accept (obviously) using the same subnet for WAN and LAN side of the WLAN router ==> how do I configure the router as bridge and disable routing (NAT) functionality so that the WNR2000 uses the same subnet IP range for wireless devices ?

There is a setting in the webconfig where it says bridge mode, but from what I've tested, this results in a repeater or bridge from wireless to wireless network which is not what I want.

Found a hell of a lot posts about using the router as a repeater / bridge from wireless to wireless nets, but no post about "extending" an existing wired net with wireles devices. Havent found also anything usefull in the WNR2000 manual about this.
Message 1 of 4
Virtuoso

Re: WNR2000V2 in Bridge mode from wired to wireless network

You can not use same an subnet on WAN / LAN

Setup wnr2000 as an AP

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

Or make DSL gateway combo as bridge mode if you use PPPoE authentication
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 4
Aspirant

thank you, I had to go the hard way since I tested this already a few weeks but failed as the webconfig complained about using the same IP subnet on WAN and LAN side which obviously will not work. So I did not follwo that further at this time.
Have to mention that I used the WLAN router before with a different subnet (had a 10.0.0.0 net on the LAN side and 192.168.1.0 on WAN side) and now wanted to change back to this access mode. Even when deleting the WAN IP address I hade in before and saving it, it would not allow me to use the same IP on the LAN side. Seems to me like a bug of the web config center (the WAN IP field was empty at this time, check it several times, DHCP was deactivated and no WAN cable attached).

Solution: simply had to exit the web config center and try it three or four times when it suddenly worked. Guess the devs did not teste this scenario.

Still thank for this hint, made me try it several times.
Message 3 of 4
Virtuoso

Always hard reset the router and issues goes aways easier.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation