× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNR2000V5 with version 1.0.0.12 firmware

Bob-NG
Aspirant

WNR2000V5 with version 1.0.0.12 firmware

I have a WNR2000V5 router that is unable to take any firmware upgrades.

It is a 1.0.0.12

The Netgear website proclaims "1.0.0.18" as the initial release, so what do I have?

Is this the reason why I can't upgrade, and the reason why I am stuck with a router

with dozens of security flaws?

My year or two older WNR2000V4 router takes upgrades just fine.

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Bob-NG
Aspirant

The replacement router arrived today.  It was loaded with 1.0.0.34 firmware and happily took the update to 1.0.0.58.

My problem is solved, though I never found out how I ended up with pre-release version of the firmware

I guess it doesn't matter now.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 17

All Replies

@Bob-NG wrote:

I have a WNR2000V5 router that is unable to take any firmware upgrades.

It is a 1.0.0.12

What does "unable to take" mean? How are you trying to load the firmware? Manually?

Message 2 of 17
Bob-NG
Aspirant

If I use the assistant to "Check for new version from the internet", it endlessly cycles saying "Please wait a moment..."  (page refreshes over and over).

If I try to upload a file from my PC, it says:  

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

I've tried several different versions of the file, including the "Initial Version"  WNR2000v5-V1.0.0.18.img, all the way up to

the latest version WNR2000v5-V1.0.0.58.img.  (Extracted from a zip file using WinZip, from the official NetGear website).

And yes, I'm positive of the model of my router.  Both the label on the router and the header on the admin page have this

model number.  The header on the admin page also says "Firmware Version V1.0.0.12".

Message 3 of 17
Bob-NG
Aspirant

I should also add:  after cycle power, the automatic check works and it wants to upgrade to 1.0.0.58, but, after uploading, I still get the message that the firmware is correct.

I already tried the trick of using the pinhole button to set the router back to factory default.

That didn't fix it either.

Router is way past 90-day factory support, so Netgear won't help.

Message 4 of 17

You've pretty well worked through the standard tricks, including trying intermediate firmware. You even anticipated one question I didn't ask, the model number.

You would be surprised by the number of people who think that they can get from v4 hardware to v5 hardware with a firmware flash.

One final thought, tried doing it with the router detached from the modem, as a standalone device?

Message 5 of 17
Bob-NG
Aspirant

Tried that too.  Even spoke to Netgear, who offered a 30 minute consult for $49 or a 6 mos protection plan for $89.

I think I will just buy a new router.  So they engineering a design defect which the consumer is unlikely to find out

about until the 90 day warranty is up.  I think I will just buy a new non-Netgear router.

-Bob

Message 6 of 17

What took you so long to look for the new firmware?

The only time that I have seen firmware that predates the "Original Release" was when I was on a beta test. Could your box be one of those?

Message 7 of 17
Bob-NG
Aspirant

Purchased at Best Buy in 12/2015 under no special circumstances. 

I didn't get any update notices and the 1.0.0.12 revision doesn't have auto update. 

I bought another router a few months ago for which I received an email.  This email

which prompted me to check the older router. 

The irony is the newer router has auto update so the email isn't necessary.

Message 8 of 17
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try to see if this article would help?

Message 9 of 17
Bob-NG
Aspirant

That article pertains to the WNR2000V4.

Did you send me the correct link?

Message 10 of 17
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, can you try the same steps for your version?

Message 11 of 17
mannynaber
Aspirant

None of the "fixes" mentioned work, I have had the exact same issue with no way of upgrading firmware. Please help

Message 12 of 17
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Where did you purchase the router? 

Message 13 of 17
Bob-NG
Aspirant

The router was purchased on Amazon. 

Two or three days after I spoke to Netgear customer support, I received a satisfaction survey.

Naturally, I responded that I was unhappy with the experience.

I'm not if this is what prompted it, but the next day I started getting calls from Netgear.  At

first I didn't recognize the number on the caller ID, so I didn't answer it, but on their 4th

attempt I did.

The agent walked me through a few things and determined that the router was defective, and

offered to send me a replacement unit.  I only had to pay ~$16 shipping to return the old modem.

This is a satisfactory response.  So while I may never understand how I ended up with a router

that had a pre-release version of the firmware, in a few days I will have a replacement which hopefully

will take updates.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Message 14 of 17
Bob-NG
Aspirant

The replacement router arrived today.  It was loaded with 1.0.0.34 firmware and happily took the update to 1.0.0.58.

My problem is solved, though I never found out how I ended up with pre-release version of the firmware

I guess it doesn't matter now.

Message 15 of 17

@Bob-NG wrote:

I have participated in various beta trials – on one now – but I have yet to see a device that could not accept "post-beta" firmware.

They always ship with the first official release, and you can flash that on top of beta firmware.

I have seen beta hardware that needs strange tweaks to get it to play nice, but it always works in the end.

Like you say, puzzling.

Message 16 of 17
mannynaber
Aspirant

Great, I'm still stuck with a pre dated router that can't update firmware
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements