Re: WNR2000v3 firmware update problem

Solair
Follower

WNR2000v3 firmware update problem

I can not acces my advance settigs with the latest firmware 1.1.2.12 on my WNR2000 v3 router ... How can I roll back to an older firmware ??

Message 1 of 25
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you factory reset the router after the firmware upgrade? If not then I suggest that you do so. If you did factory reset then reverting back to an older version of firmware uses the same process as an upgrade, but you may see a warning that the firmware you are uploading is older (which you can ignore).

v1ncc
Tutor

I just had the factory reset performed succesfully but still, both tabs are unclickable... There is some sort of a problem with this update... Please a workaround or a fixing tip?

Message 3 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Just verifying you reset it by pressing and holding the reset button for about 5 seconds, until the Power light begins to blink.

The work around is reverting back to last known working version.

Message 4 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

Precisely.. But the firmware version is still v1.1.2.12 while I should see v1.1.2.6 (the last working version I had)
Message 5 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

Re : WNR2000v3 firmware update problem

And I've just seen that there is no longer possibility to change language, the little dropdown menu has shrinked and is not clickable as well. Not that it bothers me, but that is still another problem with this update.
Message 6 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

Even if I'd rollback manually, the advanced tab is unavailable. Funny isn't it
Message 7 of 25
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@v1ncc wrote:
Precisely.. But the firmware version is still v1.1.2.12 while I should see v1.1.2.6 (the last working version I had)

A factory reset doesn't revert the firmware version, it simply changes all settings to defaults.

Have you tried using a different computer and/or web browser to access the router Admin pages?

v1ncc
Tutor

Been there, done that. Trust me
Message 9 of 25
kagetora13
Aspirant

Hi Andy and Solair,

I'm starting to wonder what is going on with Netgear routers and firmware. I've seen numerous customers filing questions about customers attempting an update their firmware and it failing. The typical steps are:

(1) Reset router settings (from reset in the  device).

(2) Try updating router through built in utility.

(3) Try local file where you try several unzipping utility (7 zip, windows 10 zip utility).

(4) Try different browsers (IE 10 or 11, Edge, Chome, Firefox.

Yet as per this thread and my own below there is not solution. The issue seems  to be a bug in the router software. So up to now I'm not sure why there is no clear direction to resolve client issues when we reach this stage. What do we need to do to resolve the issue?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wireless-N-Routers/Unable-to-upgrade-firmware-on-WNR2000V5-from-V1-...

Message 10 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

In fact there was no trouble doing the update. It is the new firmware itself that seems to have messed up the settings page. Only basic settings are available
Message 11 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

Just to let you see wjat i see...
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img908/8005/OFuu4P.png

It's in french, no way to change the language, and see the grey tabs, the selected one is supposed to be white...
Message 12 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you downgrade the firmware to 1.1.2.10, can you select Advanced Settings?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

Can't downgrade, need the advanced settings tab to get there
Message 14 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try to follow this article and use firmware 1.1.2.10?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 15 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

Thanks i'll definitely try that
Message 16 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

Didn't work so far... Tells me there's no response from server... I'm trying to figure out what IP adress to type so it would work properly

Message 17 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Server should be the IP address of your router. If you happen to use the 192.168.1.1 to access the admin page then that's the IP address for the server.

For the computer, you will then have to set it on static IP address that is on the same range of the router.

You may assign something like 192.168.1.10, subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to 192.168.1.1

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 18 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

IP is 192.168.1.7
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
Gateway is 192.168.1.1

So I typed server 192.168.1.1
Password is "password"
I chose the .img firmware file to be installed.

After 5 tries : "unable to get response from the server". I'm certainly doing something wrong in connecting the router to the modem or something... I didn't change the setup so far, do I have to?
Message 19 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Check for physical connection.

Your computer should be connected to one of the 4 LAN ports on the router.

Make sure that the port is lit when you have the cable connected to it.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 20 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

Well after all what I've tried, nothing works. Thanks for your help. Now I'll be waiting for you to provide me a good answer, and in the meanwhile I'll continue to be disappointed. Can't beleive Netgear provides update that does the opposite of improving.

Message 21 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try the reset instructions below:

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.

2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.

3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

Once you have performed the reset, see if you can change the language to English and configure it from there.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 22 of 25
Mark7779
Aspirant

Yesterday I upgraded the firmware on my WNR3500Lv2 to version 1.2.0.34.  My wireless connection immediatey dropped to <1 mps.  When connected through the router with an ethernet cable the speed was > 140 mps.  It took me three hours of reading posts and trying various things before fixing the problem.  I finally figured out how to install a previous firmware version, 1.2.0.28, and I am back to normal with 54 mps through the wireless router. 

I found firmware version 1.2.0.28 at the Netgear download center.  I saved it to my hard drive and unzipped it.

I then followed the directions at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841/~/reinstall-the-firmware-on-a-router-without-the... to install version 1.2.0.28.  The trick here is to find the online Netgear genie (at IP 192.168.1.1), then log on using ID: admin and Password: password (not the password on the back of the router).  Once I figured this out, it was simple to install version 1.2.0.28.   After installation I didn't even have to reset the router (which had previous done a dozen times as I tried various things).  My wireless speed was back where it was suppose to be.

Message 23 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Mark7779 Thank you for letting us know that upgrading the firmware helped you in getting back the speed.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 24 of 25
v1ncc
Tutor

Here's how I managed to make it work. 

Your instructions were not quite accurate.

Thanks for not helping me.
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements