× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR2000v5 Slow download speeds

bmm6o
Aspirant

WNR2000v5 Slow download speeds

WNR2000v5, Firmware Version V1.0.0.70

I've been trying to improve my download speeds.  I ran some experiments using speedtest.net.

Case 1: Laptop right next to wifi router.  Speeds: 52 Mbps down, 12 up

Case 2: Laptop wired into netgear router.  Speeds: 70 Mbps down, 12 up

Case 3: Laptop wired into cable modem.  Speeds: 119 down, 12 up.

I changed the wifi password before running the tests, so I'm sure nothing else was using the router.  I think the settings for the modem should allow higher speeds, but is there something I should double-check?  What could account for the large speed difference between the two wired setups?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: WNR2000v5 Slow download speeds

@bmm6o wrote:

According to Netgear's manual for the WNR2000v5 the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware.

That explains this bit:

@bmm6o wrote:

What could account for the large speed difference between the two wired setups?

Everything else follows on from that. Your router is not up to the job.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies

@bmm6o wrote:

According to Netgear's manual for the WNR2000v5 the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware.

That explains this bit:

@bmm6o wrote:

What could account for the large speed difference between the two wired setups?

Everything else follows on from that. Your router is not up to the job.

Message 2 of 5
bmm6o
Aspirant

Thanks for pointing that out.  I understand that I can't get the full 119 through the router, but shoudn't i get closer to 100 than the 70 I'm seeing?  And what can I do to get the wireless rate to be closer to the wired rate?  I would hope it's possible to get more than half the rated limit.  I don't think it's due to contention on the channels, but I don't have any other ideas.

Message 3 of 5

@bmm6o wrote:

....but shoudn't i get closer to 100 than the 70 I'm seeing? 

Those 100 Mbps numbers are always "up to" marketing stuff. They hide the fact that other things are going on in the background. The connection may indeed be at 100 Mbps, but there is a lot of data negotiation going on, not to mention other stuff on the network. Then there is the reliability of the speed tests.

You are on to a hiding to nothing with that router. The WNR2000v5 is a basic box that does not even support 5 GHz wifi.

@bmm6o wrote:

And what can I do to get the wireless rate to be closer to the wired rate? 

Not knowing anything about the wifi clients on your network it is hard to say. But for many things 52 Mbps is not that bad, given the quality of your router. N300 is about as slow as it gets in wifi terms.

Does your laptop get significantly faster wifi speeds with different sources?

Message 4 of 5
bmm6o
Aspirant

It's a good question, but I don't know the answer.  I've only recently started looking at ways to improve my home network so I haven't had a chance to test individual pieces in other locations.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7