• 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

WNR2020 cannot print from network printer

Hello guys, I've recently bought a WNR2020 and it can allow me to surf the net just fine, but it cannot detect my printer. At my home where I use this device, each bedroom has a ethernet port which directs their way to the main modem router for internet access. When I first used WNR2020, my computer and printer were both in the same room ( The printer is Brother MFC-9140CDN) so both my computer and the printer were directly connected to the same router, which is WNR2020, and at that point my computer can use the printer just fine.

However recently the printer has been moved to another room, now even though my desktop and the printer are still running on the same network, I cannot print anything, my computer cannot find the printer, it always says printer offline or printer not found when I tried reinstalling the printer from control panel. I am using Windows 7 64bit version.

Whats more strange is, when I unplug the WNR2020 and connect the ethernet cable directly to the desktop (the same cable that feeds internet to WNR2020), without going through the WNR2020, my desktop detects the printer again and I can print again.

However since I have other devices in my room I need the router, and when I plug the internet cable back to the router and connect my desktop to it, I can't print again.

I don't know what's causing this, can anyone please offer some advice? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: WNR2020 cannot print from network printer

When the printer is in "another room" how does it connect, what does it connect to? What does the computer connect to? I strongly suspect that you actually have more than one router & therefore more than one network, especially after reading that you can "fix" the problem by connecting the Ethernet cable from the WNR2000 directly to the desktop.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

The Modem that provides actual internet access for the entire house is D-Link DSL-2750B, which can also function as a wifi router. Only one ethernet port of that D-Link DSL-2750B is used, and it is connected to a TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8port gigabit switch, and then each port of the switch is connected to more switches, and it keeps on branching out to provide wired internet access for all the bedrooms in the house.

Currently the printer (which has been relocated to a different room) is connected to a D-Link DGS-1008D 8-port gigabit switch, and that switch connects back to the TP-Link TL-SG1008D, which then connects to the D-Link DSL-2750B (modem). The router in my room, Netgear WNR2020, was connected to the TP-Link TL-SG1008D, and I couldn't print. I then changed the cable for my room to connect to D-Link DSL-2750B, which still doesnt print, but yet it can also provide internet access.

I've illustrated the situation:

Other rooms has wifi router as well, and since the D-Link DSL-2750B modem can also function as a wifi access point, so you are right about having multiple networks.
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

If I assume that the WNR2020 is connected to the TP Link switch via it's WAN (or internet) port, then the WNR2020 breaks the network into different segments (or networks) and that would be the cause of your problem. My recommendation is always one network, one router - it's not that you can't use multiple routers, but rather, unless you know what you're doing, you'll find it to be more grief than it's worth.

Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well, I took into consideration of what you said, and tried connecting the Netgear WNR2020 router directly to D-Link DSL-2750B (modem) skipping the TP-Link TL-SG1008D switch, but still can't detect printer.
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Can you provide the IP addressess of the devices connected to your network?
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

As long as you have multiple routers in the one physical network it will break that network into separate logical networks and you will have connectivity issues. My recommendation is one network, one router.

Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:
Can you provide the IP addressess of the devices connected to your network?

How do I find out the IP address for each devices?

fordem wrote:
As long as you have multiple routers in the one physical network it will break that network into separate logical networks and you will have connectivity issues.

My recommendation is one network, one router.

One network one router does not provide a strong enough wifi connection for all the rooms in my house, thats why we set up multiple separate wifi routers in different rooms to cover as much areas as possible.

The switches and routers from different rooms can allow all computers to access the printer just fine, its only the WNR2020 router in my room somehow doesn't detect the printer and any computer that connects to it, cannot print anything.

To further prove my point, I went to do another test, this time I unplugged everything in the entire house, moved the printer back to the central control box where it has nothing but the D-Link DSL-2750B Modem. I've connected the printer to modem through one of it's ethernet ports, and then connected a laptop to it as well. I've made sure the wifi of the lap top has been turn off before I did this test. Therefore at that moment, it was just D-Link DSL-2750B Modem, the printer and laptop are connected, all via LAN cables, at that point the laptop can see the printer, and I've printed out a page of document just fine.

HOWEVER, when I connect the WNR2020 router to the D-Link DSL-2750B Modem, and then connect the laptop to the WNR2020 router, the laptop fails to connect to the printer.

During each step of the test I've tried browsing the net on my laptop to make sure the internet connection is just fine before moving on to the next step, and it is. Internet is totally fine each time I plug and unplug something, it;s just that the WNR2020 turns a blind eye to my printer.
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sorry was supposed to add this new diagram to the previous post. As you can see, I've unplugged everything, no more 8 port switches, no more other wifi routers, just the modem, the printer, the WNR2020 and the computer, all connected via ethernet cables, nothing goes wireless. If this is what you meant when you suggest one network, one router, it's still not working.
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

You want me to say it one more time??? The WNR2020 router is breaking the network into two. IF your problem is a weak or inadequate WiFi signal, the solution is not to add routers, but to add access points (which do not break the network up) or repeaters (which repeat the signal from the existing router.

Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok, I got it, I turned on the wireless repeater function using the mac address of D-Link DSL-2750B Modem, NOW my computers can print from the printer while connected to the WNR2020. I wasn't exactly sure of what you meant by one network one router, it's when you mentioned the word "repeaters" that triggered my thoughts into devising a solution. Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable regarding routers, networkings and the like.

However after solving the problem with the printer, a new problem has been created by turning on the wireless repeater function of WNR2020. Now I cannot load up the http://www.routerlogin.net/ to access my netgear router genie .................
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It seems that as per Fordem’s advice you now have a single network. Your router/Gateway is not the WNR2020, and so computers that obtain IP settings by DHCP will get their data from the D-Link. A consequence of this is that they will also get their DNS from the D-Link and so the URL routerlogin.net will be sent to the D-Link for resolution and not the ‘2020. The D-Link itself will have no knowledge of that URL, and neither will the DNS servers that it passes the data on to.

To log into the ‘2020 you need to know it’s LAN IP address. I am not familiar with the ‘2020 repeater setup, so cannot even be sure that it will obtain a LAN IP address from the D-Link, but if it does you could either check in the D-Link config pages for ‘Attached Devices’ or use a network scanner. I use this scanner, but there are plenty of others to choose from;

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/