× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR3500 keeps dropping the connection in California

zoom3142
Aspirant

WNR3500 keeps dropping the connection in California

Ok I called TWC cause I keep on losing My connection to the net, I have a WNR3500 router w/the latest firmware, I can't find anything newer, I've been using Netgear for years, TWC says this is affecting only those with Netgear routers in California, I run Cat6 cable and have a 1 Gigabit connection, My modem is an Motorola SB6121 Docsis 3.0 modem and My connection is 20/2. Is Netgear working on a fix?

The dropping of the connection I was told applies to ALL Netgear Routers within California on the TWC system...

Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
zoom3142
Aspirant

Re: WNR3500 keeps dropping the connection in California: Resolved

Ok I think this can be marked solved, I had a tech call Me from BC, He and I went thru the router and settled on changing the DNS settings, to Open DNS for the primary(208.67.222.220) and Google for the scondary(8.8.8.8), almost 2 hours have passed and I feel this is successful, no new firmware is needed, nor is for a good while a new router, probably not until this one breaks, I'm pretty sure this will be My last post in this thread,

View solution in original post

Message 29 of 30

All Replies
socaldave
Aspirant

Re: WNR3500 keeps dropping the connection in California

I was told basically the same thing by TWC.  They gave me a NetGear tech support number to call.  888-638-4327.  NetGear support says my router is out of waranty and if I want diagnosis and fix, I have to sign up for paid support.  $79 for 6 months.  I said no, I will just buy a new router.  I wonder how wide spread a problem this is.  If it's all of TWC in CA, this can't be NetGear's solution (can it?)

Message 2 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

From what TWC told Me it is any Netgear router and it concerns all of TWC's footprint in California.

Netgear said support for the WNR3500 ended in 2009, at least for calling support, if I wanted to pay, that would be different, so I will be buying a recent as possible Linksys router that supports Gigabit Ethernet, which could be the EA2600 at the very least, I may try some 3rd party firmware on the Netgear 3500L that I have that is currently bricked(it's a 2nd router that I have) first, since funds at the moment are a bit tight, for the moment I have the PC hooked up to the SB6121 modem via Cat6 Ethernet cable.

Message 3 of 30
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I will forward this to our engineering department for investigation.

By the way, when you bypass the router and just have your computers be directly connected to the modem your Internet connection are stable, right?

Do you also have the latest firmware installed on your routers?

@socaldave What's the exact model number and version of your NETGEAR device?

Message 4 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I will forward this to our engineering department for investigation.

By the way, when you bypass the router and just have your computers be directly connected to the modem your Internet connection are stable, right?

Do you also have the latest firmware installed on your routers?

@socaldave What's the exact model number and version of your NETGEAR device?

Yes, I'm hooked up to the modem directly and the connection is stable, yes I do have the latest firmware installed.

The router says WNR3500 on the back, the serial number is 1SP3847W01D44, as to the version number, I have no idea, the serial number should help you there, maybe.

Message 5 of 30
socaldave
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Elaine.  My router is "Wireless G WGR614v10". 

I don't know anything about firmware other than TWC suggesting it *might* be the problem. 

The NetGear tech offered to check it out but only if I signed up for a pay support program. 

I have bypassed the router and connected directly via ethernet cable and that's working fine. 

Using the router, I have no connection at all. 

Message 6 of 30
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you both!

Did you guys try doing a powercycle?

Turn off both devices and wait for 2 mins then you power the modem first and wait for the modem to be stable before turning on the router?

Also, have you all tried configuring the router in order to get the proper Internet IP from the modem? See this link on how to configure the router for Cable Connection.

Checking at the TWC outage map, seems that most part of the CA is affected.

Message 7 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

Yeah, that and reset the router and power cycled My modem, no difference until I did what TWC suggested, TWC did ask if I needed help in having internet access only on the modem, but I said no, since I have a good grasp of ipconfig in a dosbox.

The router was/is setup for DHCP, so getting an ip is not a problem, something else seems to be at work, what I don't know.

Message 8 of 30
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you confirm if the router is getting WAN IP?

You need to access the admin page of the router and look it up from there.

Normally it's under Router status then Internet port. If you don't get IP under Basic settings, select Use computer MAC address then see if you'll get the WAN IP.

Our engineers are looking into this as we speak.

Message 9 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

The map shows on Opera better than on Firefox Nightly x64 v45.0a1 and the main concentration is in southern California, though this extends to other states and regions where TWC is at, though not as great as Los Angeles and Orange County. I suspect My 3500L router would have the same problem, buying a new router isn't in the cards for Me right now and I don't feel like I can spend a lot on a router, more like less than $100 and that's for a Gigbit Ethernet connection w/a router, plus since I have a cat antennas are to Her, something to chew on, She did that once, that's why I went mimo, no antennas to chew on, it's the plastic.

Message 10 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

Yeah I could, but the router is unhooked from power and bypassed, the danged switch only controls the cycling blue leds, it's 20' from My PC too. I do remember seeing an ip address, even with no net access for 5 minutes, it's like I was being blocked.

Message 11 of 30
socaldave
Aspirant

I did power off and on both devices.  I've done that a couple of times with no success. 

As far as the configuration, I am not technical so some of what you're saying is over my head. 

From my layman's point of view, however, I haven't changed a thing in the years since I first bought the router and set it up, and it has worked fine for all this time.  So it seems strange to me to think that suddenly now it wasn't configured correctly(?) 

Message 12 of 30
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We don't know whether if there are some settings pushed by TWC that causes the router to be not functioning correctly.

Can you guys PM me all the answers from the questions below:

• Your location
  • When the issue started happening?
  • Was there any changes made to your routers  prior to issue occurring such as fw update reconfiguration of settings?
  • Did you notice any odd behavior on the Modem?
  • Copy of logs from Netgear router. The logs can be seen by accessing www.routerlogin.net and copy the Logs.
  • Model of the Modem used.
  • Anything specific answer/advice that TWC had given you about this matter?

Thanks!

Message 13 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

We don't know whether if there are some settings pushed by TWC that causes the router to be not functioning correctly.

Can you guys PM me all the answers from the questions below:

• Your location
  • When the issue started happening?
  • Was there any changes made to your routers  prior to issue occurring such as fw update reconfiguration of settings?
  • Did you notice any odd behavior on the Modem?
  • Copy of logs from Netgear router. The logs can be seen by accessing www.routerlogin.net and copy the Logs.
  • Model of the Modem used.
  • Anything specific answer/advice that TWC had given you about this matter?

Thanks!

PM you? How? I looked and could not find a way to do this. Note I've been using computers of various types since 1980, so I'm not a newby, I just can't see a link to do so with.

I'll answer here, since it won't hurt Me any, though the logs part I do not have, cause the router is powered off and disconnected from everything. And since the modem was power cycled, forget that too, those logs are long gone.

Yermo, CA(roughly 12 miles east of Barstow CA along the i15 fwy).

Roughly 1-2 months back or around the time TWC began doing work to upgrade the area for MAXX internet service.

No, I updated the router soon after getting it.

Odd, just what I described, intermittent connection problems, more frequently now than earlier, always surfaced as a "Server Not Found" error in Firefox and in Opera it had a different term, earlier it was just with sites like wunderground.com or cnn.com since both sites auto refresh, lately it was all sites having the same error, even if one pressed F5 or not.

WNR3500.

Contact Netgear and use the SB6121 modem only.

Seems to be a Nationwide problem to Me from what I saw on the maps.

Message 14 of 30
socaldave
Aspirant

NetGear technician Ernest (from somewhere in Canada) contacted me.  Walked me through firmware update and reboot of both modem and router and I am back in business.  Ernest suspects the firmware update may not have been necessary but of course it didn't hurt (and I tried reboots on my own earlier with no luck). 

Many thanks to Ernest and Elaine who took the time to follow through. 

Message 15 of 30
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@zoom3142 Can you go ahead and re-flashed the firmware of your router and let's see if it will help?

Keep us posted.

@socaldave You're welcome! Glad to hear that it's up and running.

Have a great day!

Message 16 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

Well I did have the router online and I got  short log off of the WNR3500v1 router, I'd tried to download some new firmware and the router couldn't find any.

Someone also I think tried a DOS attack on My wireless connection, I think I need to reinforce the encryption some, but I doubt that is the problem, since this is new to Me.

[Internet connected] IP address: 76.176.209.211, Friday, Nov 20,2015 15:06:15
[Internet disconnected] Friday, Nov 20,2015 15:06:12
[DOS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [76.176.209.211], Friday, Nov 20,2015 15:01:18
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, Nov 20,2015 15:00:54
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Nov 20,2015 15:00:48
[Internet connected] IP address: 76.176.209.211, Friday, Nov 20,2015 15:00:48
[Admin login failure] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, Nov 20,2015 15:00:09
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.3)] to MAC address 08:FD:0E:8D:48:DC, Friday, Nov 20,2015 14:59:43
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, Nov 20,2015 14:59:18
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.2)] to MAC address 90:E6:BA:0D:38:C0, Friday, Nov 20,2015 14:58:28
[Internet disconnected] Friday, Nov 20,2015 14:58:27
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.36_8.0.36NA] Friday, Nov 20,2015 14:58:27

Message 17 of 30
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How about if we try to re-flash by doing it manually.

Download the firmware here. Make sure to indicate the correct model version of your router. If you don't see any version number after the model that means it's v1.

Upgrade the firmware by accessing the admin page or you may see this instruction guide.

Once done, turn off the cable modem and router for 2mins.

Turn on cable modem first then router.

Once cable modem synced with TWC and router got WAN IP your Internet should work.

By the way, have the firmware downloaded while you're connected directly to the modem.

Then reconnect the router back to do the steps above.

Message 18 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

I have the WNR3500v1 router, I looked for new firmware there to download, the newest I saw there was V1.0.36_8.0.36NA  and I already have that, socaldave got new firmware, so unless you have something new that fixes the problem like socaldave got, then I see no reason to download and reflash the firmware that is already there and yes I do know how to flash the firmware. I wasn't born yesterday, I do know My way around hardware pretty well.

Message 19 of 30
socaldave
Aspirant

Don't be insulted, Zoom.  They don't know who knows what.  They have to deal with people like me who think flashing firmware involves a raincoat.  I had to be walked thru every step. 

Message 20 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

@socaldave wrote:

Don't be insulted, Zoom.  They don't know who knows what.  They have to deal with people like me who think flashing firmware involves a raincoat.  I had to be walked thru every step. 

I've done a lot, I've even disinfected PC's, so I'm experienced and yes I built My PC, from parts I bought.

Message 21 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

@socaldave wrote:

I am not insulted, never said I was, I do have concentration and sever anxiety problems. So no worries.

Message 22 of 30
socaldave
Aspirant

My bad, I misunderstood.  Good wishes to you - hope your router problems get resolved. 

Message 23 of 30
zoom3142
Aspirant

Thanks, one way or another, the problem will be fixed.

Message 24 of 30
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@zoom3142 How's your connection right now?

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7