× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR3500Lv2 Has Slow Throughput on Ethernet

TaterSalid
Virtuoso

WNR3500Lv2 Has Slow Throughput on Ethernet

I posted this about 2 weeks ago.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/WNR3500Lv2-Has-Slow-Throughput-on-Ethernet...

This week my replacement router arrived. I runs at a blistering 6Mbps. Direct to the modem is 120Mps. The only thing that hasn't been checked is the modem. I called my ISP and was informed that an upgrade was needed. DOCIS 3.0 to 3.1. The old one is nine years old so why not. Why one router would be slow and another fine is still a question but I am tired of this issue. The new modem should be here in a week. I will resume then.

While I wait, I am open to any and all suggestions.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Re: WNR3500Lv2 Has Slow Throughput on Ethernet

Today, I took the router to another location that also has the same ISP, Charter/Spectrum for testing. By coincidence, there was a service tech in the neighborhood. I explained my problem and he told me that my service was upgraded in October. I knew there had been an upgrade but not so recently. The timing here raised a flag. He also said that my modem, Motorola Surfboard, was prone to unpredictable activity.

I tested the router with a Cisco modem. I saw 90M which is all I could hope for. Believe it or not there can still be compatibility issues even though this stuff was standardized long ago. I have not seen a problem like this since the dial-up days. Even then it worked or it didn't.

For the many speed issued that have been posted recently: Don't assume because it works wired direct that the problem must be the router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Re: WNR3500Lv2 Has Slow Throughput on Ethernet

Today, I took the router to another location that also has the same ISP, Charter/Spectrum for testing. By coincidence, there was a service tech in the neighborhood. I explained my problem and he told me that my service was upgraded in October. I knew there had been an upgrade but not so recently. The timing here raised a flag. He also said that my modem, Motorola Surfboard, was prone to unpredictable activity.

I tested the router with a Cisco modem. I saw 90M which is all I could hope for. Believe it or not there can still be compatibility issues even though this stuff was standardized long ago. I have not seen a problem like this since the dial-up days. Even then it worked or it didn't.

For the many speed issued that have been posted recently: Don't assume because it works wired direct that the problem must be the router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7