× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WPA2 Connection problem

jrkenned
Aspirant

WPA2 Connection problem

Running WNDR3400v2 with firmware 1.0.0.52_1.0.81.

My devices: Macbook (OS10.6.8), iPad (iOS10.1.1), Nexus7 (Android 5.1.1)

Until recently, the router was set up with "No" security and has worked very well with all devices, including occasional visiting PCs and other devices. Now I have a need to set up better security so I've been trying to change the router security to WPA2-PSK (AES) but it has not worked out. The router strongly broadcasts the new secure network names but I've been unable to connect to WiFi when I enter the password for each network. It looks like the router is not accepting the passwords I've created. I've tried things like turning the modem/router/device off and on, and removing the "preferred" networks on the computer. Nothing has worked. When I switch back to No security the router works perfectly well again.

Thanks for any help.

jrkenned

Model: WNDR3400v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
jrkenned
Aspirant

Re: WPA2 Connection problem

Thanks for the reply.

I did try the other security options thart were available (WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]) but they did not work. In fact, Genie would not accept them when I attempted to change. Fortunately, since my initial post, my problem seems to have been solved. I followed a suggestion submitted about a year ago from "Sawdin" who addressed a similar problem from another community member: WNDR3400v2 - Problem with 2.4Ghz connection. 

The suggestion was to also enable the Guest networks when setting up the security changes. I did this and it worked! The 2.5 and 5GHz networks seem to be working well. However, even though the guest networks were broadcasting and showing up, they would not accept their passwords and connect; I've since stopped them from broadcasting but have let them alone otherwise. Up to this point I've avoided resetting the router to its default values and I may not have to. I'm convinced this router is a quirky thing that's quite unpredictable; leave well enough alone, if you can.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @jrkenned

Did you try the other wireless security available such as WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]?

What's the result?

Message 2 of 4
jrkenned
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I did try the other security options thart were available (WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]) but they did not work. In fact, Genie would not accept them when I attempted to change. Fortunately, since my initial post, my problem seems to have been solved. I followed a suggestion submitted about a year ago from "Sawdin" who addressed a similar problem from another community member: WNDR3400v2 - Problem with 2.4Ghz connection. 

The suggestion was to also enable the Guest networks when setting up the security changes. I did this and it worked! The 2.5 and 5GHz networks seem to be working well. However, even though the guest networks were broadcasting and showing up, they would not accept their passwords and connect; I've since stopped them from broadcasting but have let them alone otherwise. Up to this point I've avoided resetting the router to its default values and I may not have to. I'm convinced this router is a quirky thing that's quite unpredictable; leave well enough alone, if you can.

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements