× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WPA2-PSK[AES] Passphrase containing two consecutive bar pipes?

BandWidthJunkie
Aspirant

WPA2-PSK[AES] Passphrase containing two consecutive bar pipes?

Hi

Hope this is the right forum!

Does anybody know why I can set the WPA2-PSK[AES] Passphrase to something that contains two consecutive bar pipes i.e. "||" on the WAC124 — AC2000 Dual Band 4x4 Wireless Access Point?

When I do I get the attached result :

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
BandWidthJunkie
Aspirant

Re: WPA2-PSK[AES] Passphrase containing two consecutive bar pipes?

This is now resolved - sort of!

I had a reply from Netgear Support regarding the issue: -

"I have inquired about your concern and I was informed that due to the way the WAC124 web management page was coded, the system unfortunately does not allow using a WiFi password with 2 consecutive identical special characters, hence you’re only able to use one bar pipe |. You may still use multiple bar pipes within a password, just not next to each other. I have also asked for a proper workaround and the best we could do about this is to do a feature request in which it allows 2 consecutive identical special characters."

So I either have to change my WiFi Passphrase, and all the clients or move to a different manufacturer or place a request for a new "feature" lol

Onwards and upwards - sort of!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
BandWidthJunkie
Aspirant

This is now resolved - sort of!

I had a reply from Netgear Support regarding the issue: -

"I have inquired about your concern and I was informed that due to the way the WAC124 web management page was coded, the system unfortunately does not allow using a WiFi password with 2 consecutive identical special characters, hence you’re only able to use one bar pipe |. You may still use multiple bar pipes within a password, just not next to each other. I have also asked for a proper workaround and the best we could do about this is to do a feature request in which it allows 2 consecutive identical special characters."

So I either have to change my WiFi Passphrase, and all the clients or move to a different manufacturer or place a request for a new "feature" lol

Onwards and upwards - sort of!

Message 2 of 3
antinode
Guru

> So I either have to change my WiFi Passphrase, [...]

Netgear router firmware has a history of problems with special
characters.  My experience involves PPP passwords, but I can imagine
wireless-network credentials suffering similarly.  For example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1339116
      https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1693473

No bets, but if you're in a mood to experiment, then you might try
inserting a backslash (or two?) in a strategic spot (or spots).

Sad, isn't it?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7