Re: WPN824 making hissing noise. No connectivity

ibnd
Aspirant

WPN824 making hissing noise. No connectivity

Hey, I have this old router I'm using. I hooked it up a day ago and it was working fine but it was making a hissing noise. Now I can't connect to it at all, even via wired. The power light, the internet light, and all 4 of the Ethernet connection lights constantly flash green.

I'm thinking it could be a problem with the power adapter which was previously hooked up to a N600 and that router was acting the same way (hissing noise, no connectivity) until I plugged a different adapter in, but I assumed it was a problem with the wall input since I've never had an adapter go bad on me before.

I'm hoping it's not a leaking cap, but I don't have the right kind of screwdriver to pop this thing open and check. But if anyone's experienced this, was there an easy fix? I might just go to the store and pick up a 12v1a adapter and see if that doesn't do the trick.
Message 1 of 4
ibnd
Aspirant

Got a new 12v 1a unreg adapter and all is working fine now. I'm thinking it could have been a problem with the filter on the adapter I had. 10 bucks well spent.
Message 2 of 4
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

An unregulated adaptor can be a problem because they are only specified to operate at the stated voltage at a corresponding stated current. If the load is such that the current is different then the voltage will also vary. You may for example find that the voltage provided to your router could be substantially higher than 12V which may well lead to early failure of the internal regulation circuitry. You really should use a regulated supply to be safe.
Message 3 of 4
WyleCyote
Aspirant

A salutary tale. You should always use the power adapter supplied with the equipment. It is an intrinsic part of the equipment, just as are the bits and pieces within it.
If you really know what you are doing, you can substitute another power adapter. If not, the manufacturer always knows best.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E