× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WPS, SSID message does not make sense, plus why re-network every component when change from hidden t

chris7777
Aspirant

WPS, SSID message does not make sense, plus why re-network every component when change from hidden t

A very basic question from a clueless 64 year old, self taught.  I got my first smartphone, iphone7, and when connecting it to my home network, it says it is hidden.  When I went to the router software and checked the box for Enable SSID Broadcast, it warned me that WPS requires SSID in order to work.  Then it said if I make this change, WPS will become inaccessable.

These seem mutually exclusive.  The first sentence says WPS is required, then it says WPS will become inaccessable.  What am I not getting?  I just want to make my network un-hidden only because articles say it's not a good idea. 

Then, the information goes on to say I will need to take every thing in the network, un-network it, and re-network it, just because I changed from hidden to not hidden?  I don't understand, since no logon or user ID or password was changed, and that is all the devices have to connect with.  Several of my home entertainment components plus 3 computers plus...

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: WPS, SSID message does not make sense, plus why re-network every component when change from hidd

The second sentence is wrong.  The first sentence is correct.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
William10a
Master

Re: WPS, SSID message does not make sense, plus why re-network every component when change from hidd

@chris7777 wrote:

A very basic question from a clueless 64 year old, self taught.  I got my first smartphone, iphone7, and when connecting it to my home network, it says it is hidden.  When I went to the router software and checked the box for Enable SSID Broadcast, it warned me that WPS requires SSID in order to work.  Then it said if I make this change, WPS will become inaccessable.

These seem mutually exclusive.  The first sentence says WPS is required, then it says WPS will become inaccessable.  What am I not getting?  I just want to make my network un-hidden only because articles say it's not a good idea. 

Then, the information goes on to say I will need to take every thing in the network, un-network it, and re-network it, just because I changed from hidden to not hidden?  I don't understand, since no logon or user ID or password was changed, and that is all the devices have to connect with.  Several of my home entertainment components plus 3 computers plus...

What router router are you using this would help ?

Ok I see want you want to do is enable ssid but it only addeds a name to the wifi network you can run a wifi network without a ssid if fell that you would like to enable it please post the model number  of your router to help in setting the ssid for you?

Yes your network could be found by it's wifi signal with ssid or without a ssid if a person has the software and time the ssid only puts a sign along the road saying here is my wifi network name.

Message 2 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,

I am lot older than you like more than 0 years. What is the router model no.?  Have you configured the router? Then hidden or not you know the SSID when you try to connect iPhone.  1. You start wireless connection procedure. 2. Tell the iPhone which SSID you wat to connect. 3. It'll

ask passphrase which you'd know. Enter it. 4. If everything matches you'll get connection.  Once it is done, you can tell to connect automatically from next time one. WPS can be a hardware button or software clickable button to make connection easy. If you initiate it after pushing(clicking) the button within certain time limit you have to finish the process. Many thinks hiding SSID gives increased security but it is

not. Just leave it unhidden. Google or Youtube  is your friend. BTW, I myslef use iOS devices, iPhone/iPAD/MBP, etc.

Message 3 of 7
chris7777
Aspirant

My model number is WNDR3400v2.  Forum software is preventing me from entering that in the Model field above!

When I added my iphone7 to my network, the phone gave me a security warning that my network is hidden.  That is what I want to change and why I want to change it.  I understand this will not make my network more or less secure, but I would think Apple would not warn me to unhide my network if it was not worth the while.

Am I (or is Apple) wrong?  Also, as a matter of respect to guests, it would be nice for their phones to be able to automatically connect to my network instead of having to enter the network name to find it.

But then the Netgear software warned me that all items connected to my network would need to be re-connected, and I wonder if it's worth the hassle to re-enter passwords and such for each component in my home entertainment center and other computers and tablet.  Or maybe I mis-interpreted this message?

Message 4 of 7
William10a
Master

Here is a link for the manual for the wndr3400v2 http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3400V2/WNDR3400v2_UM_EN.pdf

You may have to set up devices again if you enable ssid but it should be just a matter of telling about the network name depending on the device .

Wps is a feature I will not use as it will let a stranger if they have the key to the wps is using so I also disable it one the hacker attacks going today if you want more information about wps hacking check youtube people show how it is done on the screen.

Like I said ssid just adds a road sign to your wifi stating it's name that's why the I7 wants to see so it can assign your user's name and passphrease to a list on the phone's memory to go with the network name.

Have you update the firmware lately more then likely out of date firmware the wndr3400v2 is still solid router and a simpler router when compared to some of today's new routers. Still have a wndr3400v1 run dd-wrt firmware works the propose that I'am using it.

Message 5 of 7
chris7777
Aspirant

I updated the firmware before I made my post here. 

My question remains about the message Netgear is giving me being contradictory.  When I check Enable SSID Broadcasting,  it says:

WPS requires SSID broadcasting in order to work. If you make this change, WPS will become inaccessible.

It says SSID broadcasting is needed for WPS to work, but it says if I choose SSID broadcasting, WPS will be inaccessible.  In other words, SSID needs WPS to work, but if you choose SSID, WPS is not available.  I really want to understand this before I make the change.

Message 6 of 7
TheEther
Guru

The second sentence is wrong.  The first sentence is correct.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7