Highlighted
Aspirant

Warning!! R6350 latest firmware update bricks router

Was in the admin interface a few days ago and noticed the "A firmware upgrade is available. Click here to get it" notice at the top of the page. It was to go from v.1.1.0.52 to v.1.1.0.64. I clicked the button to begin the update. After the progress bar completed the interface went blank and the router went to a flashing green power light. I'm an IT guy and none of the several methods for re-installing firmware with a direct connection would work. Spent 3 fruitless hours on it. Was never able to even ping the unit to get a connection for TFTP. Since it was still under warranty, Netgear is sending me a replacement. In the meantime I picked up a new R6350 to get us back online while we waited for the replacement. While setting it up today I tried to upgrade the firmware on the new unit from v.52 to v.64 when I was prompted and the same exact thing happened again. I don't know if the problem is in the direct uipdate function within the router or if the file is corrupt. I haven't tried downloading it and installing it manually. I'm afraid to even try. Thankfully, vendor took the bricked unit back and I'll wait for my original replacement to arrive. But I wouldn't try updating to this firmware version until Netgear sorts this out.

Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Warning!! R6350 latest firmware update bricks router

> [...] flashing green power light. [...]

Typically, that would make you a candidate for the TFTP recovery
scheme.  See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096#M102004

> [...] Spent 3 fruitless hours on it. Was never able [...]

None of that is a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

The TFTP recovery scheme is a multi-step procedure which offers
multiple opportunities for user input, hence user error.  Saying that
you tried TFTP, with no details, is not a useful problem description.
Similarly, "never able" conveys almost no useful information, compared
with, for example, your preparation steps, the actual command which you
used, and the actual error message which was emitted.  Especially when
using a command-line program, copy+paste is your friend.

> [...] I haven't tried downloading it and installing it manually. I'm
> afraid to even try. [...]

That would be more likely to work.

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. To be more specific, I did try everything mentioned in posts on this forum and other sources. Tried to reset the router, including all the alternate methods pointed out such as power cycling while holding the reset button for prescribed time periods and others. Nothing worked. All I got was a continuous blinking green power light. Could not use TFTP since the router could not be made to accept any kind of direct connection.

I think the bigger question is what is the cause? Is there some kind of malfunction with the firmware auto-update feature within the router, or is the file corrupt to begin with? Would like to see Netgear check into it. That the same issue happened with two different routers of the same exact model seems like more than just a one-time problem.

Thanks again for your input.

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Guru

> [...] To be more specific, I did try everything mentioned in posts on
> this forum and other sources. [...]

This must be some new meaning for "specific".

> [...] Could not use TFTP since the router could not be made to accept
> any kind of direct connection.

See "useful problem description [...]", above.  Which part of
"actual" was unclear?

> [...] seems like more than just a one-time problem.

It might be.

> [...] Would like to see Netgear check into it. [...]

Open a support case?

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for your attempts to help, but the only reason I posted this was to warn others with the same model about this issue. That's all. I did not request help in the post, only shared the experience and the resolution I received. I went over all the intricate details with support before they issued the RMA. Again thanks for being willing to jump in.

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Initiate

I too have been having this same exact issue with my router, and also trying to fix my neighbor's R6350 that also tried the update. There has to be something wrong either with the .img file for the 64 update or the 52, where they introduced the auto update feature and it doesn't work. I also work in IT and have done the suggested steps and TFTP won't find the default 192.168.1.1 address and times out.

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

As a follow-up, I have posted a support ticket explaining the situation. Their response was to do the update manually. I responded by asking if they were sure this would not also brick the router, have they tested it? The response was totally unrelated to the problem. I have replied again asking for an answer to the original post. We'll see if anyone responds.

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

@Voicedude wrote:

Thank you for your attempts to help, but the only reason I posted this was to warn others with the same model about this issue. That's all. I did not request help in the post, only shared the experience PrepaidCardStatus and the resolution I received. I went over all the intricate details with support before they issued the RMA. Again thanks for being willing to jump in.

Yup thanks for the hands up.

will keep this in mind

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

The exact same thing just happened to me, literally word-for-word, ON MY NEWLY PURCHASED r6850.

Tried OTA upgrade from firmware 1.1.0.40 - 1.1.0.66, which is supposed to patch an HTTP auth vulnerability (This one: https://kb.netgear.com/000061516/Security-Advisory-for-HTTP-Authentication-Bypass-on-the-R6220-PSV-2...) but it soft bricked the router. Wouldn't boot past the flashing power light. Tried manual TFTP after the standard "reset and power up" cycle but the TFTP kept timing out. Had Amazon replace it, but now am afraid to re-flash the update.

UPDATE:

On the product page, I noticed that there is an intermediate firmware (V 1.1.0.50) between my currentl installed firmware (1.1.0.40) and the latest (1.1.0.66). Perhaps that might be the problem. 

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I Purchased the R6850 today on 24 july2020. I used the nighthawk app to setup the router. While setting up when the router asked for the admin password I entered the default password which is 'password'. But strangely it was not accepting the password and showed incorrect password. I reset the router and began the setup again on nighthawk app. It was successful and prompted me an update from 1.1.0.40 to 1.1.0.66. Update was successful and the router is working fine. I think firmware update should be done via nighthawk app...
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements