Re: What does "Accept Incoming Connections" mean?

BeegReeg
Aspirant

What does "Accept Incoming Connections" mean?

A few months ago I successfully installed a Netgear R7900P router, and it seems to work fine, tho I end up rebooting it more often than I think I should. Often (not every time) I turn on my computer "NetGear Genie" is open and a tab asks me if I want to Allow or Deny "incomming network connections". What does that mean and why does it keep popping up? I have tried both options and don't notice any difference. Do I even need Netgear Genie for the router to work? Seems like it shouldn't keep opening by itself.

Message 1 of 3

@BeegReeg wrote:

Often (not every time) I turn on my computer "NetGear Genie" is open and a tab asks me if I want to Allow or Deny "incomming network connections". What does that mean and why does it keep popping up?

It means that the desktop genie is running and you have set it to "Show network connectivity change". You can turn that off from the notification area icon.

@BeegReeg wrote:

Do I even need Netgear Genie for the router to work?

No.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
BeegReeg
Aspirant

Thanks- so...I take that to mean that “incoming connection” refers to a new device (tablet/computer etc) added to the network, rather than data-possibly in the form of malware-admitted through the connection. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E