Re: Which "revision" do I have of the WNDR3700?

cfphoenix
Aspirant

My new WNDR3700 R17 which came in a blue/purple box has the Revision 4 board - no wonder there is no difference in terms of performance between the R17 and R21, which have the same board.
Message 26 of 123
ZzBloopzZ
Aspirant

Are you 100% positive the R17 is Revision 4? Reason I ask, is because I am still with in the 30 day window and my local BB has R21's now. Thanks!
Message 27 of 123
jwolf1
Aspirant

I just received a WNDR37AV from Newegg.com. The box is black with a blue top side. Box states "WNDR 37AV" with wireless N not draft-n. Neither the box nor router contain a revison number, i.e; 02R1 or 01R21. The router shipped with .49NA firmware which I updated to .68NA. I called support to find out my version based on the serial number but they were less than helpful. They claimed all of the routers were version 1 and that a revision number does not even exist. Any ideas if I have the latest revision with the 4 board?
Message 28 of 123
cc999
Aspirant

What about "01R8"?

I ALSO have this one............Anyone?
Message 29 of 123
jlewter
Guide

jwolf1 wrote:
I called support to find out my version based on the serial number but they were less than helpful. They claimed all of the routers were version 1 and that a revision number does not even exist. Any ideas if I have the latest revision with the 4 board?

Support told me customers are not allowed to know the revision number, and if I wanted to know that I should return mine for another one so I could get the box info!!!

I dont know why they wont do it, my guess is that it has to do with the dead 2.4ghz routers out there, if failure rates are above about 2-3% then people having the ability to know that they have a router in that "zone" of production would likely see them doing a lot of RMA's and that's something that they will want to avoid..

I would welcome anyone passing this up to support if they wish to object to this being the possible case.
Message 30 of 123
MarcoB
Aspirant

I need some help to discover my WNDR3700 revision.
None of the post before can be applied to identify my router.
My serial number ends with 55F.

Can someone help me?
Message 31 of 123
jlewter
Guide

You must look on your box, If you dont have it then (right now) Only netgear support can tell you and they refuse to do so.
Message 32 of 123
justin84065
Aspirant

I just left best buy, I picked up a 3700 v02R4
It looked like the newest although I was guessing.
They had several 02R1 but only 1 R4.
They show the 3700av for $20.00 more but I did not see one in the store.
Is the 02R4 the latest?
Message 33 of 123
ZzBloopzZ
Aspirant

justin84065 wrote:
Is the 02R4 the latest?

Which best buy was it? I need to swap mine out, but would love to have this latest revision!

Thanks
Message 34 of 123
justin84065
Aspirant

I live in Salt Lake City. I went to two different stores, both had the 02R4
as well as mostly 02R1. I didn't see anything newer. There was a 3700av
But basically identical specifications and no revision # on box. Oddly the 3700av was $141.95 the 3700 was $179.00 I bought it on sale for $149.00
best buy matches everyone, the lowest price was wal-mart for $149.00 everyday price. Hope this helps in your decision.
Justin
Message 35 of 123
ZzBloopzZ
Aspirant

Good to know. The Best Buy I went to had 02R1 and 02R2. I will try a higher traffic BB store tomorrow since I have to go near there anyways, hopefully they'll have R4 otherwise I'll just get latest R2.

Thanks for help!
Message 36 of 123
justin84065
Aspirant

Sure, any thoughts on the 3700 vs the 37av?
They did have that one as well.
Justin
Message 37 of 123
ZzBloopzZ
Aspirant

justin84065 wrote:
Sure, any thoughts on the 3700 vs the 37av?
They did have that one as well.
Justin

They are the same thing. I would stick with the 3700 since you know for sure it's the latest revision. :c)
Message 38 of 123
parkerthon
Aspirant

justin84065 wrote:
Is the 02R4 the latest?

Reading through the posts, it looks like 02R1 has the revision 4 board in it and is recommended by others. Sometimes newer versions are simply revised manufacturing processes or different parts. In which case newer isn't necessarily better.

FYI everyone, from what I gather the first two numbers before the R is something akin to a product line release version(ie V1 and V2) and the numbers following R are the revision number which are apparently not in any way tied to the version of board or hardware inside the router, but more likely the engineering code branch used by netgear's product development team.
Message 39 of 123
ZzBloopzZ
Aspirant

Just picked up a 02R4. It seems to load much quicker after changing settings compared to the 02R2. The R2 would sometimes take few minutes to refresh after changing a setting and clicking "save".
Message 40 of 123
stuhag
Aspirant

I just got 37AV last week (10/15) at Frye's. I did no think on plowing thru them looking for newer versions (they had like 50)
Now that I read this, I am wondering if it really is a big deal or not. My box says 105-15144-01R3. It was $149. Same as about everywhere I saw on the internet. It works, so I guess all is good. Oh, btw, the router home page states Firmware V1.0.4.68NA. Which reading firmware threads, this is the latest firmware. So I wonder what these differences really mean? Is it hardware related? 20R1, 02R2, 02R4 1R4, etc. So my 1R3 is a few from the latest. FYI, my SN ends in...X016BD (if it makes a difference)

Stu
Message 41 of 123
mlaposta
Aspirant

I'm a bit confused ... my WNDR3700 is the 100PAS version, which appears to be slightly different than the 100NAS version which I think most people here have.

My revision is 01R9, just bought it (Oct. 2010).

The 100NAS appears to be more expensive on the futureshop.ca site, but I couldn't find the specific version on the Netgear site.

Is the 100PAS the same as the 100NAS, and do the same revision numbers apply?

Hope I'm not hi-jacking with this post :confused:
Message 42 of 123
jlewter
Guide

I think it's the power adapter and region that dictates the part number..

100UKS for UK
100NAS for North America
100PAS for ??
100GRS for Germany
100PES for France

I am sure there's a lot more codes ;P.. But PAS will stand for a geographical location it was made to be sold in.. There shouldnt be any difference between any units, just power adapters.
Message 43 of 123
Tork
Aspirant

jlewter wrote:
I think it's the power adapter and region that dictates the part number..

100UKS for UK
100NAS for North America
100PAS for ??
100GRS for Germany
100PES for France

I am sure there's a lot more codes ;P.. .

100AUS for Australia.. I've just picked up an 02R4 unit.
Message 44 of 123
Parrothead
Aspirant

The one I got at Staples 2 weeks ago reads "-02R1". Thus far no issues.

The longer story:

I had a LinkSys that went crazy on me. I have since loaded it with dd-wrt and it serves as a switch on the other end of my network. When I bought my first NetGear (a WRN3500_v1) 11 months ago, I paid the extra $10 for the extended 1-year warranty.

The WNR3500 (even with all the firmware upgrades) began a terrible habit of dropping connectivity to the outside world. This would require reboot and/or reset AT LEAST once a day. So I walked into Staples again (with all my paperwork) and exchanged it for this shiny new WNDR3700.

I really don't know why my router (along with Comcast) has always been the least stable part of my network. In the case of the LinkSys I can point to a firmware upgrade, that I wasn't able to back down. I the case of my WNR3500, It was probably also firmware related.

All my gear is protected by surge protectors; maybe I should put something on the coax entering the cable modem. At any rate, I plan on keeping my paper work and setting a reminder on my calendar for 11-months out to see if it makes sense to do it all again Smiley Wink

-PH
Message 45 of 123
kannanni
Aspirant

Hi there,

after reading these interesting thread i am curious to find revision of my 3700.

i bought mine 1 week ago in pcworld here in uk.the only problem is that my little boy binned my box and i was wondering if i can identify it from the serial number maybe or any other way apart of unscrewing and opening the unit ?

i remember it did have firmware version 1.0.4.49 when i first opened it, i have upgraded to 1.0.4.68 now, factory reseted and its runing ok now.

regards
kannanni
Message 46 of 123
SantaC
Aspirant

I want to know my revision too. I threw away my box and only have the router.
Message 47 of 123
NatRay
Tutor

Sad to say, you are SOL . . . Smiley Sad
Best regards,

Nat Ray MCSE/MCT since 1997

Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (4), WNDR3400v2 (2), WPN824v2 (2), R7000, RT-N66R *AP(s) via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** HPEnvy800 -PHX **

DD-WRT v24-SP2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007

Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .

‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Message 48 of 123
oskingen
Aspirant

I was having some readyshare (memory), log, port forwarding issues... and I got one RMA because they told me it was an hardware issue. I just receive the replacement one from netgear but only the router, no parts. There is no revision on the box but does someone know if this one is up to date or they still send bad one ?
Message 49 of 123
PhilBeevor
Aspirant

oskingen,

My 3700 was returned to Netgear back in August. I also received one in a plain brown box with only a Serial number on it. I have had no problems with it so far - I had it going for about 25 days non stop and I did not experience any problems. Only had to restart it when I added a new device to the address reservation. Been happy with it.
Message 50 of 123
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements