Why is Netgear support so hard to access?

Montagu
Guide

Why is Netgear support so hard to access?

We are the IT Support company for several dozen clients in the UK.

One of those clients wishes to impose restrictions on internet use for their staff. They have a Netgear WNDR3700v5 router - which isn't compatible with Parental Controls through the Netgear Genie app. So I suggested they need a new router, something like the R6220.

But, before going ahead and buying a new router which may not work, I offered to test Parental Controls on my own Netgear DGN2200v3. This didn't work as I get an error from the app telling me that I am not connected to the internet, even though the app itself tells me that I am connected! I must be connected or I wouldn't be writing this rant here.

So, I thought I'd just ask Netgear support the question. No chance!

I tried registering my own home router, so that I could access support. Of course, that router is too old for the free 90 day support, but I could see that I just had to go to http://gearhead.netgear.com to access the paid for support number. That website isn't available.

So, I called the UK Sales number to see if they would assure me that Parental Controls would work on the R6220. They suggested I had to speak to support.

The support number given out by Netgear's automated message is 08448754000. You call this number to be told by another automated message that this number has changed to 03448754000. I called this number to find I had come through to Storage, not to Routers.

AAAaaarrgggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 hours I have been chasing my tail on this issue.

It's a simple enough question! Why can't Sales help me? Why could they not put me through to Support? Why is it so difficult to talk to someone sensible who could let me buy a Netgear product with some faith?

I now have no faith left and I'm off to buy a ZyXel, or a D-Link, or a LinkSys, or even a TP-Link! Anything but a Netgear!!!

This is after many, many years of buying Netgear routers and switches, etc. How to lose a good customer over a stressful 2 hour period!

Message 1 of 11

Re: Why is Netgear support so hard to access?

Welcome to the club!!

It has been also painful here on the continent across the manche!!!

I am running really out of patience!!!

Message 2 of 11

"Support" would only have asked you for money. Even then  there is no guarantee that they would provide sensible answers.

NETGEAT SUPPORT CASE 28162604 - NETGEAR Communities

You might have done better to have thrown your question at the motley crew of fellow users who hang out here.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 11

Because the only care about our money and they don't care about serving us properly!!!

Food chain does not seems to apply!!!

It is time for managers to go downstairs and watch the carnage!!

Message 4 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looking at the manuals, the feature should be supported. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 11

This is a long and rambling rant, as you put it. Let's cut it back to the questions so that people can contribute with real advice:

@Montagu wrote:

One of those clients wishes to impose restrictions on internet use for their staff. They have a Netgear WNDR3700v5 router - which isn't compatible with Parental Controls through the Netgear Genie app. So I suggested they need a new router, something like the R6220.

But, before going ahead and buying a new router which may not work, I offered to test Parental Controls on my own Netgear DGN2200v3.

The manuals tell us that the WNDR3700v5 does not offer parental controls.

Nor does the WNDR3700v5, which is odd because the earlier WNDR3700v4 did.

The R6220 does support Parental Controls, along with dozens of other devices.

I'm not sure that I get the "through the Netgear Genie app". Which genie app? There are several. Desktop (Windows/Mac), Android/iThing: even the browser interface calls itself the genie.

The one you are using may explain this bit:

@Montagu wrote:
I offered to test Parental Controls on my own Netgear DGN2200v3. This didn't work as I get an error from the app telling me that I am not connected to the internet, even though the app itself tells me that I am connected!

Which app and how are you connecting?

Did you try the option that let you enter the IP address manually?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@michaelkenward Can you point me which manual is that? Per this manual, Live Parental Control is on page 49.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 11
Montagu
Guide

So, no long rambling rant. My problems are:

1. I know that the WNDR3700v5 does not offer parental controls. The Netgear DGN2200v3  does so, apparently.

I have tried testing the system on the DGN2200v3 and I have set up an OpenDNS account. But, if I open Parental Controls directly from the router it simply takes me to a page where I can download "NetGear Genie" - http://www.netgear.com/lpc

If I download the Windows PC version of the app it tells me that I am not connected to the internet. I clearly am, but it won't let me go any further, even if I get the app to access the router directly by IP Address.

If I download the Andriod version of the app to my Samsung smartphone I get much further. I can open Parental Controls and I can get as far as logging on to the OpenDNS screen. I then get an error, "The action failed." I am using the correct OpenDNS account settings as I can log on to their website.

2. Why can't I get through to NetGear support much more easily? It used to be the case, some years ago admittedly, that you phoned up and spoke to a Techie who was really helpful. Now you phone up, get an automated message giving the wrong number. Phone sales to be given the right number. Phone that number to be put through to the wrong department........................

3. We've bought a Draytek now, so the problem is effectively resolved. It seems a shame as I've been buying NetGear for the best part of 10 years now, but this experience has put me right off.

Message 8 of 11
Montagu
Guide

So, my client decided to buy a Netgear R7000 after all - effectively gambling that we could get Netgear to help set up Parental Controls.

They do work after a basic fashion, but we have some tweaks we need to make, so I need to talk to support.

I register the product. No problem.

I access the "Contact Support" section for that product on My Netgear.

There I get a message,

"Thanks! We’re ready to help you with this product:

Product Model:  R7000
Serial Number:  *****************
Purchase Date:  Apr 19, 2017
Suggested Answers from our Knowledge base:"
And a whirling icon, suggesting something is happening in the background.

Nothing is happening except the icon is whirling. For a long time.

So I dig out the UK support number - 0344 875 4000. There I am given a lot of instructions trying to get me on to the web to ask my question of the community, rather than actually get support. But eventually - Press 1 for Home Products, Press 2.... etc

So I press 1. "Sorry, the number you have dialled is not in service. Please check the number you have dialled."
What? So I call again but press 5 this time, for folk who have an on-going support case.
"Sorry, the number you have dialled is not in service. Please check the number you have dialled."

So I called the Business Products support number (0344 453 8000). More long-winded menus eventually ask me to press a number. I guess it doesn't matter which number I press, as it's not what NetGear call a business product that I'm calling about. So I press 5 for talking about an open ticket, which gets me to an automated message, "For technical support call 0344 875 4000"!

So my only support option seems to be this page. Help! can anyone help me?
Message 9 of 11

So my only support option seems to be this page. Help! can anyone help me?

Is this message seeking help with contacting support? Or do you want help with the following bit?

So, my client decided to buy a Netgear R7000 after all - effectively gambling that we could get Netgear to help set up Parental Controls.

They do work after a basic fashion, but we have some tweaks we need to make, so I need to talk to support.

If the former, then let's hope that one of the official support team steps in. If the latter then you'll have to tell people what you want to tweak.

For what I read here Parental Controls are a pretty blunt instrument. The controls are here:

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Just another user.

Message 10 of 11
Montagu
Guide

Hi

The message isn't seeking help contacting NetGear Support. That doesn't appear to be possible. I'll happily be corrected by a member of the Support Team who can give me a telephone number that gets me to speak to a real person though Smiley Happy

The router is about to be returned as not fit for purpose as we bought it specifically for the Parental Controls, which are advertised as useful for business clients as well. I'd really like to talk to a techie who understands the system better than I do, but the 90 days support - also widely advertised as a feature of NetGear routers - doesn't actually exist as the phone system doesn't allow me through. One of the very many automated messages tells me to go online to raise a ticket by email, but that option doesn't exist either!

The tweaks we would like to make happen:
Block or allow specific sites on a schedule. The categories are too broad brush and we can block or allow specific sites, but not on a schedule. Specific sites are either blocked or allowed for all time.

Actually allow some sites. For instance, we have linkedin.com (and www.linkedin.com) allowed for all users, all the time. This works some days, but not others. The category that normally blocks the site sometimes allows it (based on the global allow policy) but sometimes over-rides that policy and blocks it. This is very frustrating for the users who don't understand why they can access the site some days, but not others.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E