× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Wi-Fi improvement needed for small school

We are a small K-8 private school with around 60 students that has upgraded to fiber optic at 50 Mbps for internet.  We are using an R6250 router to connect and provide wireless connections. It is also the route to our 12 ethernet connections thru a D-Link DES-1026G switch.

Our facility is just over 10,000 sq. ft. with connections to router and switch located upstairs in the “attic”.  Using the Netgear Genie app I have found wireless to be good to poor throughout the lower floor classrooms, the good service is only in the 3 rooms located right below the router while there are four rooms in the poor signal category. Unfortunately those are the rooms that really need a strong wi-fi signal.

I would like to improve our LAN wifi throughout the building.  We currently provide 15-25 internet connections on a normal school day with about half by ethernet and half wireless.  I expect our number of users to increase in coming years especially the wifi and want to plan for at least 50 users on line at once.

So I am looking for suggestions on ways to improve our LAN and especially the wi-fi signal in the 2-4 rooms farthest from the router.

Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Wi-Fi improvement needed for small school

Hi @GenieFan,

You may want to look into setting access point/s connected to the switch and/or power line adapters that can broadcast wireless.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks Dexter for your suggestion.  I think I will try the powerline adapters first. I'm wondering if I need a better router or back up for the one I have. Can a router be used as an access point? 

Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @GenieFan,

Yes, a router can be configured as an access point. For your setup, you may want to consider getting a better router that can handle more clients at a given time with better coverage.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

I like that idea, Dexter. So if I can find a router that can handle maybe 30 clients with all the features of my R6250, I could set it up to connect to the internet for ethernet clients. Then use my current router in the far corner where wi-fi needs improvement. Is there a router you would recommend that is compatible with the R6250 or would I get better wi-fi with powerline adapters? 

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @GenieFan,

You can check the link below for a list of routers and their specs then check which one will suit your setup.

http://netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/

We would recommend getting a router and setting up access points since the wiring may become a factor for power line adapters which could make the setup more difficult than it should be.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi Dexter

I have been comparing different routers on the list that you compiled.  I see the R7300dst/AC1900 DST Router is the only one that comes with a DST Adapter.  Several other models also have "Nighthawk" in their description, so can you tell me if the DST adapter will work with other Nighthawk models. Would they require special setup to get the adapter working as an access point or is there a better access point available to use with other routers?

We have been experimenting with the router we have by moving to a location in the area that needs wi-fi the most and had a positive outcome. However, we still have at least one room that needs better wi-fi than it is getting from the new location. Thus the question is -- which routers will work well with the DST?

Genie Fan

Model: R7300DST|AC1900 DST Router and DST Adapter
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @GenieFan,

The DST adapter will only work specifically with the R7300DST. Range extenders can also be a viable option to pair with your existing network if only one to few areas have dead spots.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

Message 9 of 9