× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi AP with extern

dleonard
Initiate

WiFi AP with extern

I'm looking for an AP which supports connecting an external antenna. The use case being that I want to mout the antenna on the outsisde of my house whilst keeping the AP inside (just <1m away). I'd consider an external AP but then I'd need one with 8021x support to secure the ethernet. My current router (ORBI753) doesn't support this either. Costs could mount up to get all the right gear so I'm following the idea of having an external antenna.

Netgear support recommended WAC720 but this looks to be EOL and hard to buy at a reasonable price. e.g. only one on ebay, its battered and the seller wants "as new" prices. What is the modern replacement for WAC720? All the ones I can see have external antennas but it isn't clear if they are detachable with SMA type connectors and suitable for use with a different antenna. I'm even thinking about buying something like an old (ancient!) WAG102 with antenna ANT2409 but there haven't been security updates in a decade! This needs to be as cheep as possible. Only 2.4GHz support required.

Background: I already spent a lot of money on an orbi mesh but it isn't strong enough to penetrate a single brick wall even when placed right next to that wall with the wifi client just on the other side. Trying to get a good signal to my EV car charger - an Andersen A2. Obviously I'm quite annoyed by the obri performance and wasted cost already.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi AP with extern

Why not cheat? 

If you've already got a satellite there and are planning on punching a hole through for an antenna, simply run a ethernet wire through that hole instead and wire in a cheap extender that has access point mode like the EX3700?

It should provide more than enough throughput

Message 2 of 4
dleonard
Initiate

Re: WiFi AP with external antenna

I'm trying to get coverage outside. The wall I can't get a signal to is the external wall to my house so whatever goes outside has to be suitable for outdoor use. It doesn't look like the EX3700 is weatherproof. Also, I'm not comfortable having an ethernet cable outside the house if it doesn't support 8021x on each end otherwise anyone could plug into it and access my internal network. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi AP with external antenna

netgear has the netgear airbridge that can be POE powered and has an access point mode. tp-link makes several models as well. 

You could figure out how you wanted to connect it inside the home for security. 

but I'd look for something like that over trying to setup extendernal antennas. a better option with room for upgrades/changes as needed. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7