× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Access Point

kevev
Follower

WiFi Access Point

I have a dual band router at home which is connected to the internet by our local ISP Karoo (Kingston Communications). The braodband service and connection is Lightstream Fibre Optic and has been in our hime for a few years now and is very fast and stable. I have recently built a new detached building, which is a combined garage and office and I have run an ethernet cable from my exisiting router to the new detached building. I want to install a device that will give me connection to the internet through the ethernet cable and also proviode wifi in the new detached building. I am thinking that I should use a wireless access point but would like to know what would be the best one for the job.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi Access Point

You have a ton of options.

1. you could use a wireless extender. Most of them (not all) have an access point mode

2. you could use an old/new router. Most routers have some form of access point mode. 

3. you could use a dedicated access point. 

4. You could upgrade the router in the house and use the old one for the access point. 

And all of this is before even getting to the specs you want for your device. 🙂 

If it was me? I like having a backup router in case one fails. I'd be looking at just a router and running it in access point mode. That way if you're curent one fails or has issues, you have the other one you could swap in. A spare router has saved me lots of times 🙂 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7