WiFi Range?

I am finding that the DGND3700 has pretty poor WiFi range. On an RSSI of -80, the WiFi rate drops to 5Mbps which makes it pretty much useless for anything. Compared to my DGN2000, from 2008 that connects at 20-78Mbps. This is ridiculous!

Are there any settings I can tweak? I have tried changing the wireless channel.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 7
Apprentice

Re: WiFi Range?

It might be more useful to compare the two routers over identical distances.

I have seen the RSSI figure to be totally different on several different WiFi devices from the same router in the same position.

I have also found that the relative angle of the router and the WiFi device can make a difference to the signal too.

You can use something like inSSIDer to determine the best setup in your home.
Message 2 of 7
Aspirant

I was vaguely able to get about a 1/4 acre around my property(first rma gets a little less). I temporarily made this work with a range extender which made my phone device have to work less and kept browsing peppy everywhere the extender touched.
Message 3 of 7
Aspirant

I measured my Zyxcel AP and this DGND3700 with inSSIDer and even Zyxcel wins by far in signal strength. :mad:
Message 4 of 7
Apprentice

jeremysup wrote:
I measured my Zyxcel AP and this DGND3700 with inSSIDer and even Zyxcel wins by far in signal strength. :mad:

Nice result. Smiley Happy

Certainly things are going to improve as different products are launched. Perhaps I'm a little disappointed that the DGND3700 performed less well, but it is perhaps worth pointing out in its defence that several reviews of it pointed out that its WiFi signal was better over a longer distance than other routers with a similar specification when it was launched.

Sadly there are more serious issues with this router. Whilst the WiFi is excellent IMHO and the overall performance is good, there are some issues which Netgear are having problems resolving.

Thankfully not everyone who has purchased this router have experienced the problems, but there are some who have been unable to use it in the legitimate way that they intended to.
Message 5 of 7
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
Nice result. Smiley Happy

Certainly things are going to improve as different products are launched. Perhaps I'm a little disappointed that the DGND3700 performed less well, but it is perhaps worth pointing out in its defence that several reviews of it pointed out that its WiFi signal was better over a longer distance than other routers with a similar specification when it was launched.

Sadly there are more serious issues with this router. Whilst the WiFi is excellent IMHO and the overall performance is good, there are some issues which Netgear are having problems resolving.

Thankfully not everyone who has purchased this router have experienced the problems, but there are some who have been unable to use it in the legitimate way that they intended to.

The wifi range on my new DGND3700 is less than my old D-Link 2740 router placed in the same location. Considering this device is marketed as having superior performance to other devices this is a big dissapointment. I bought the DGND3700 because of its superior performance, ability to configure guest access, USB connections for sharing storage and future proofing in that I can connect to a fibre modem when it be omes available. So far it has dissapointed guest access (see my other post)http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77065
And the wifi range which is at least 5m less than my old D-LinkSmiley Sad
I've yet to try the USB but based on experience so far I'm considering taking it back for a refund.
Message 6 of 7
Apprentice

Something that you may want to look at first is what angle the router is at compared to where you are testing. I found that both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz had different signal strengths depending how the router was positioned.

A simple 90° twist can make a difference.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements