× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi connectivity

xian
Aspirant

WiFi connectivity

I am trying to figure out why my WiFi is slow and cuts out, even with the laptop two feet from the access point router (more with some websites than others) - not really different with WiFi connection to main router (Arris TG862G Gateway - kind of locked in to Comcast choice because of the telephone port for Comcast Voice).  I am thinking about getting something newer for the access point to replace the WNR2000.  Perhaps AC1200 or Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band.  Should I have a vast difference in speed and connection using WiFi versus ethernet wired?  (I am almost always on a computer wired directly on ethernet. Maybe I am spoiled.)  Is my WNR200 just too old technology?

Model: WNR1000v3|Wireless Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: WiFi connectivity

Hi @xian,

1. What is your subscription speed from your ISP?

2. Are you getting that speed while wired to the Arris gateway?

3. What is the WiFi speed that you are getting from the Arris gateway?

4. What is the speed that you are getting wired and via WiFi through the NETGEAR router?

5. Wired/Ethernet connection will provide a better connection most of the time.

6. You will need to consider several things when upgrading and/or connecting via wireless. Network environment, subscription speed, and devices that will connect (compatibility) are some of the first things you need to look into.

Regards.

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @xian,

1. What is your subscription speed from your ISP?

2. Are you getting that speed while wired to the Arris gateway?

3. What is the WiFi speed that you are getting from the Arris gateway?

4. What is the speed that you are getting wired and via WiFi through the NETGEAR router?

5. Wired/Ethernet connection will provide a better connection most of the time.

6. You will need to consider several things when upgrading and/or connecting via wireless. Network environment, subscription speed, and devices that will connect (compatibility) are some of the first things you need to look into.

Regards.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @xian,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 4
xian
Aspirant

Seems like the problem must be something relative to my laptop.  No one else has encountered the problem.  Anyway, I ended up running an ethernet wire off the access point to a  nearby desk for blazing fast internet, when I really want fast.  Good enough that I haven't had time to check all the speeds.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7