× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Extender

rs2022
Tutor

Wifi Extender

I would like to extend the wifi connection in my garage and backyard. I have a 2-pack AX4200 Tri-Band Mesh Wifi 6 system wherein I have placed the ORBI router downstairs and the ORBI satellite upstairs. But the wfii signal outside the house is very weak and so I would like to extend the wifi connection. What should I get to extend the wifi signal?

Thank you

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi Extender

Exteriors of houses tend to do a good job of blocking wifi. This happens because certain materials block wifi better than others. Exteriors of homes tend to have those like foil lined insulation, metal siding, adobe, brick, cement siding, etc. 

What is the exterior of your home made of? 

are you able to get a signal when you're outside of the home at all? 
If not, how far away is the garage? And is it possible to fun an underground lan rated cable to it? 

There is the RBS50Y that is outdoor rated. It can't be used in orbi mode to connect but it has an extender mode you could potentially connect it with. But if you can't pickup any signal on the exterior of your home, it won't work. 

Message 2 of 11

@plemans wrote:

There is the RBS50Y that is outdoor rated. It can't be used in orbi mode to connect ....

It has that option here.

I use one in an office-to-house chain as a link between an Orbi router (AP mode) and an Orbi satellite.

But I have no idea what @rs2022 means  by AX4200 Tri-Band Mesh Wifi 6. That could be an Orb RBK75X bundle, a RAX4X or a CBT75X. So, while the text refers to Orbi devices, whether or not Orbi mode would work with this device isn't clear to me.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

The RBS50Y doesn't work with the AX orbi solutions in Orbi mode. Only in extender mode. 

If the OP doesn't have an Orbi AX system but a standard RAX router, then extender mode would still work. 

IF they have an Orbi AC system then both extender and orbi modes would work. 

Message 4 of 11
rs2022
Tutor

My router is labeled as RBR750 if that is of any help. So would this help with the unit that you are suggesting? 

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

The RBS50Y would only work in extender mode with that model. Not orbi mode. 

Message 6 of 11
rs2022
Tutor

Oh, I see. Thank you. 

Am sorry for this naive question -- where do we access this set of modes? I see menu options for modes that you have listed and am not sure how to access this mode? I got this ORBI Mesh router a few months back and have not configured it since then. Wonder what the ORBI router login site is. Appreciate any help in configuring this.

Thank you so much for a prompt reply.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru
rs2022
Tutor

Thank you for this link! I will try that.

And so to summarize, I will have to buy the new RBS50Y unit and then connect tthat o my RBR750 router using the menu you have suggested. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

that mode only works on the RBS50Y and the RBS40V. 

Its an extender mode that basically allows it to function as a triband wireless extender versus a satellite. 

The other orbi models only support setting up in an orbi mesh. 

Message 10 of 11

@rs2022 wrote:

Wonder what the ORBI router login site is.

I am not sure what you mean by "ORBI router login site".

Perhaps it is the browser graphical user interface (GUI). That's not so much a "site", a place out there in the Internet, as the "control panel" for your network.

If you aim your browser at orbilogin.com  you should see the various control options for your Orbi network.

After your network is up and running as you want, that isn't something that you should need to visit very often.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7