× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi IP cameras connected to router

gdavidbird
Aspirant

Wifi IP cameras connected to router

I currently have 2 IP cameras (2.4 ghz) setup on a WNR2000 V5. Unfortunately, due to obstructions, I'm not getting a signal solid enough to change settings on the cams. The router is located adjacent to the internet modem and the modem cannot be relocated. Can I relocate the already set up WNR2000 V5 to another location that is midway between the cams and modem,and add a new router at the modem location? I have used the WNR2000 while not connected to the internet to view and record with the cams, but the time delay (lag) is very bad. I think what I'm asking is how to use the existing WNR2000 V5 as a wireless repeater or bridge? Recommendations for setup would be greatly appreciated.

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Wifi IP cameras connected to router

@gdavidbird wrote:

Can I use an extender, like the WN3000RP, at the intermediate location to receive the cam signals that would then transmit to the existing router. If so, how would the settings work?

Yes, I said that earlier.  

The extender will use a different network name from the main router.  So you will either need to

• change the IP camera settings to connect to the new network name,
  • change the router's network name, and then configure the extender's network name to match the router.

I described the second option above.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Your router manual is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR2000V5/WNR2000v5_UM_20Nov2014.pdf?cid=wmt_netgear_orga...

I see AP mode, but I am not seeing a repeater mode.  Bridge mode isn't there either (and wouldn't do what you want, since WiFi is used as the bridge).

If you can get ethernet to the intermediate location, you can move the router.

Other options:

• Use a powerline extender pair like the PLPW1000.  Connect the non-wifi component to the router, and plug the other one in at the intermediate location. 
  • Install a wifi extender at the intermediate location

If you use an extender, you can record the network name, passphrase, and security mode of the WNR2000 wifi, and then change the network name.  You can do the same with the PLPW1000 if you like, but it probably isn't necessary.

Then set up the extender or PLPW1000 to match the original settings on the WNR2000, so the cameras will connect to the new wifi signal.

Message 2 of 4
gdavidbird
Aspirant

Can I use an extender, like the WN3000RP, at the intermediate location to receive the cam signals that would then transmit to the existing router. If so, how would the settings work?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@gdavidbird wrote:

Yes, I said that earlier.  

The extender will use a different network name from the main router.  So you will either need to

• change the IP camera settings to connect to the new network name,
  • change the router's network name, and then configure the extender's network name to match the router.

I described the second option above.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7