Wifi Signal but no Internet

mmarris
Aspirant

Wifi Signal but no Internet

I have a WNR1000v2 wireless router. We haven't changed anything recently but all of a sudden the internet stopped working. When I plug the ethernet cord directly from the modem to the computer, the internet works fine. But when I plug it into the router, the internet symbol turns orange and we cannot connect. Does anyone know how to fix this??

We've been without wifi for 2 weeks and it's driving me nuts. I've called everyone, comcast, xfinity, netgear, and none of them can help (well netgear could but they wanted to charge for the phone call lol). I'd love you forever if you could help me!
Message 1 of 5
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Wifi Signal but no Internet

From what I recall seeing in these forums, Comcast is a cable ISP.

Try June's procedure:

Resetting Cable Modem and router ( by jmizoguchi)
1. turn off the cable modem and router and unplug ethernet cable
2. wait for few min (20min)
3. turn on the cable modem only and do NOT plug any ethernet cable
4. wait until all lighted up on cable modem (approx. 3-5 min)
5. ONLY after all is lighted up, hook up router’s WAN port to cable modem
6. turn on router and wait until all is lighted up (approx. 3-5 min)
7. you should able to get public IP from the ISP and it will show up in the router’s status when you login to the router.

Note : If the cable modem has a battery that came with it for internet/ tel. combo, ensure battery is removed and replaced as part of procedure in steps 1 and 3 above.

If this doesn't work, report back and we'll probably try something else.
Message 2 of 5
mmarris
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately I followed all the steps exactly and it still isn't working :confused: I don't get why this randomly happened to my router in the first place. Weird. Any other advice for me? I really appreciate the help, thanks!
Message 3 of 5
Joe_
Apprentice

Now I don't want to instill false hopes because it's possible that your router's WAN port has failed.

Go to support.netgear.com and download the Manual for your router. Follow the procedure for resetting your router to factory defaults. Ensure you follow all the procedures faithfully and allow the router to re-boot properly. If all goes well (e.g. no more amber internet LED), then log in to the router's interface and reconfigure all your settings.

If you still get the amber LED after a factory reset, then I believe your router's WAN port has failed. If you are still within your warranty period then go to my.netgear.com and request an RMA. If not, you are out of luck and have to purchase a new router.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

mmarris wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately I followed all the steps exactly and it still isn't working :confused: I don't get why this randomly happened to my router in the first place. Weird. Any other advice for me? I really appreciate the help, thanks!

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/usefuldoc/CableModemSetup.pdf

try mac spoofing
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies