× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi Speed Question

AkhiMertail
Follower

Wifi Speed Question

Recently decided to buy my own modem and router (Nighthawk r7000) from Netgear. My wifi plan through xfinity is up to 1000mbps and after installing everything my wired speed is around 700-800mbps which is good. But my wifi speeds are sitting around 80-100 even when sitting near the router. Is this normal for wifi speeds are should I be contacting Netgear to help figure this out? Any help would be really appreciated, I have been doing my own research for over 4 hours and can’t find anything. Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the router? 

Are you testing over 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 

2.4ghz is much slower and sensitive to interference. 

Message 2 of 7

@AkhiMertail wrote:

Recently decided to buy my own modem and router (Nighthawk r7000) from Netgear.

That's a router. What is the modem?

Message 3 of 7

Thats a router that I have been looking to buy, it should be capable of 1300Mbps over wifi

Message 4 of 7

@ThePodCastGuy wrote:

Thats a router that I have been looking to buy, it should be capable of 1300Mbps over wifi

Unlikely. Labels on the side of a box have nothing to do with what happens in the real world.

Do you have wifi clients that work at that speed? Few do.

Why do you want that speed?

You said earlier:

But my wifi speeds are sitting around 80-100 even when sitting near the router.

Don't be surprised if your existing wifi devices work at the same speed with a new router.

You might find it helpful to read this:

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 5 of 7

@michaelkenward very helpful post. Just in the process of buying a new router. 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'd also look at smallnetbuilder for some reviews on systems for tested speeds under optimal conditions. 

It does a very thorough review and testing process. There hasn't been as many AX router reviews as they used to do but they're getting back into it. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7