× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi connected but remote computer doesn't access internet

edmark
Aspirant

Wifi connected but remote computer doesn't access internet

Wifi shows connected and computer shows on the network map, but my remote, wireless computer cannot access the internet, How can I fix it?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
edmark
Aspirant

Re: Wifi connected but remote computer doesn't access internet

Thanks for your advice. I got into my wife's network settings, they asked for my security password and then it connected to the Wifi network. Thanks so much for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

@edmark wrote:

...my remote, wireless computer cannot access the internet

Where is this "remote" computer? Same wifi network or somewhere else?

What are you using to connect to the Netgear device?

What Netgear hardware are we talking about?

Apologies for piling on the questions.

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
    Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
    Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

Message 2 of 6
edmark
Aspirant

Michael, thanks for responding. My "remote" computer is on the 2nd floor of my house, in my wife's office. My computer is downstairs. I only have the the new Wifi network. I have connected(wired) my new R6220 router a to a Cox modem a which provides my internet access. The new router is to provide Wifi to my wife's computer. The network map shows my wife's computer and the Wifi connerction status is connected, but my wife's computer cannot connect to the internet. can you help?

Message 3 of 6

OK. I asked because "remote" has a special meaning in network talk. It refers to getting into your network from the other side of the planet, for example, not from within the same local network. There are various settings for that in routers, but we can ignore that.

In this case your wife has a problem connecting to the local wifi network.

If her computer is running Windows, she may have to look at the network settings there. One common problem is that her PC thinks it is on a "public" network.

What happens when she tries to establish a wifi connection? Have you tried using the Network Troubleshooter in Windows?

We still don't have much information to go on. For example, we don't know if anything can connect to the wifi network. Do you have smartphones or tablets that connect happily to the router?

We need to know that to confirm that your wifi network is set up properly and that the problem is at the client end, your wife's PC.

Message 4 of 6
edmark
Aspirant

Thanks for your advice. I got into my wife's network settings, they asked for my security password and then it connected to the Wifi network. Thanks so much for your help.

Message 5 of 6

Result. Well done. I hope that chalks up a few more brownie points with your wife!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7