× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi input with web authentification

Jeiraon
Aspirant

Wifi input with web authentification

Hello.
I would like to have your advise to choose a device. I already looked into it but I am kind of lost.
In brief, I am currently in a university residence with a free wifi network.

But to connect to it, I need to authenticate over the web. In my case, I would like to create my own private network using this wifi.
Is there a device that can connect using wifi as input (with web authentication) and create a new wifi network where I will have the possibility to connect all my devices.

I look forward to your answer and thank you.

Best regards.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Basically you're looking for something like a travel router like the PR2000 that Netgear doesn't offer. There are other manufacturers that offer these type of products.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/WiFi-WAN/td-p/1772536

When you check with your univerisity IT department and if they allow it, they should be able to tell you if a standard router (and the settings to make it) will work or if you need something specialized. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I would check with your university IT department. Many universities have rules/regulations in place for this.  They might allow it but have certain devices they recommend or they might say don't do it as it creates more interference for their network. 

Message 2 of 4
Jeiraon
Aspirant

I didn't thing about that aspect and I see what you mean, I will also check with them. 

Otherwise if it is not prohibited, I would like to know if a router can authenticate on a Wifi as input with a web authentication (and maybe which one)?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Basically you're looking for something like a travel router like the PR2000 that Netgear doesn't offer. There are other manufacturers that offer these type of products.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/WiFi-WAN/td-p/1772536

When you check with your univerisity IT department and if they allow it, they should be able to tell you if a standard router (and the settings to make it) will work or if you need something specialized. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7