Re: Wifi only works if live PC is connected to the router too

Tranquility
Aspirant

Wifi only works if live PC is connected to the router too

The following was asked by another chap but on the wrong section and was asked to repost - he did not but I have the same problem. What is the solution please?
'I have a new Netgear N600 router connected to my PC and have a number of other devices connecting to this router wirelessly. I have found that if my PC which is connected directly to the router is switched off all other wireless devices dont work. Is there a way to keep it on while my PC is off so as to use wireless devices?
Message 1 of 12
Tranquility
Aspirant

Anybody? Even @ Netgear?
Message 2 of 12
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Can you give a little more detail about what you mean by “all other wireless devices don’t work”, there’s a big difference between being unable to access the Internet and not having a network connection at all? Do the wireless device show that they still have a network connection? Do you have other wired devices that still have a network / Internet connection? If you have a DSL modem that was previously connected to the PC in question, then it’s possible that PC holds the ISP login data and uses a client program to make the connection, depending on how the router was set up initially then that program could still be controlling the Internet connection via the router, such that when it is powered down the Internet connection is lost, but the network remains functional. Another possibility is that the Internet connection can be incorrectly shared on a LAN by setting up a PC as an Internet sharing PC (ICS), that means that other devices go via that PC for their internet connection.
Message 3 of 12
Tranquility
Aspirant

Andy, You are a gent, thanks. I understand the gist of what you are saying but how do I get to the settings to check what I have got set up? The 5Ghz appears to be absent too. My mobile and tablet will not see the wifi signal if my PC is shut down even though all the lights are up on the modem and router.
Message 4 of 12
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I don’t know of any configuration error which would cause the router to cease transmitting completely on its two wireless bands when one of the client PCs shuts down, so I don’t have an easy answer for you. Do you know if the router transmits prior to that PC powering up? If you power cycle the router after the PC has shut down does it start transmitting again? Have you tried factory resetting the router, if not you can save the router configuration settings to a PC before doing so, then upload the settings after testing what happens following a reset?
Message 5 of 12
Tranquility
Aspirant

Thanks - how do I get to the settings when my password is set etc. I'm sure its easy - - - - - when you know how. The chap in the shop probably assumed I knew what I was doing. I have had it for over a year and it has neve been right. My fault, I hasten to add 🙂
So - to get to and meddle with the settings? Meanwhile I shall try the other little tests to see the result.
Message 6 of 12
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

The default login details for the router are normally printed on a label on the router e.g.

Login at http://192.168.1.1 or http://routerlogin.net

User - admin
P/W - password

If these have been changed and you don't know what to, then a factory reset will clear these back to defaults, along with all other settings, so if you do have to reset you will need to set up the router from scratch.
Message 7 of 12
Tranquility
Aspirant

Thanks Andy
I shall play around withthe settings plus turn off the PC and test the wi fi tablets etc. I will let you konw the results - thanks for your patience and knowledge.
Message 8 of 12
mcneillb
Aspirant

Did you ever figure this out? I am having this same exact issue

McNeill

mcneillbis@aol.com

Message 9 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mcneillb What's the exact model number of your NETGEAR device?

Have you tried doing a factory reset then reconfigure everything from scratch?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 12
mcneillb
Aspirant

@ElaineM

I have a AC1900

Model R7000

I have been emailing with your support team for a week now and this is not fixed.Yes, I tried a hard reset of the router. Still, other devices (conneceted by ethernet or wireless only work if my laptop is on. This seems really strange after a reset of the router. So very confused. my case # is 26126848. I don't know what to do. This email support takes days and there is no progress.

Message 11 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mcneillb Kindly contact support and refer to your case number. They should be able to give you support right away.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E