× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi over a 6000 sq ft house

BHBUSAF
Aspirant

Wifi over a 6000 sq ft house

I have been having issues with this for a while now and I'm at my wits' end.  We live in a large house (2k sq ft basement, 1st floor, & 2nd floor).  I currently have the N750 WiFi Router (model WNDR4300) and 2x Small Office Business Class 802.11n Wireless Access Point (model WN604).  The problem is the cable drop is at an odd location on the first floor (think corner of the house vs centrally located) so it makes trying to spread an even wifi signal throughout the rest of the house extremely difficult, hence the access points.  I don't really know what question to ask other than how would I best set up my network so I can roam the entire house seamlessly from router to the 2 access points?  I already have the locations nailed down, I just need to know how to set up the access points/router either through static IP addresses or otherwise.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Personally, with the size of your home, I would be looking at moving up to a different class of router, R7000 and possibly EX7000, but that could be another discussion. The following covers off what you were looking for, information wise..

You will need to run at least CAT5e (not CAT5) cabling so that you can connect between your WNDR4300 and your WN604's LAN ports. As far as configuring the WN604's, (and depending what IP addresses are being used in your network right now) you could address the AP's as follows: (Assuming your router IP address is: 192.168.1.1) The easy setup:

AP1 - 192.168.1.253 NM 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1

AP2 - 192.168.1.254 NM 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1

I picked these IP address as they are at the far end of your DHCP Pool and should not cause a Duplicate IP Address issue. (Assumption is: You have not altered your DHCP Pool). 

As for your whole  home wireless network, you can use the same wifi SSID's for all the wireless but, ensure you select a wireless band channel 2.4ghz (1,6,11 assumption is, you are in North America) if you can and, higher band channels for 5ghz.

Use the same wireless passphrase for the WNDR4300 and  WN604's . Make sure you use a STRONG wireless passphrase and use WPA2-PSK (AES) for wifi Security.

You can get a copy of acrylic for your laptop, or if you have an android phone, you can download WIFI Analyzer - this will allow to see what channels are being used around you, then you can select the wifi channels based on populated they are / aren't. For 2.4ghz, try and stay with 1,6,11).

As far as wirieless clients go, they decide how effectively they are going to roam. Ensure that WMM is enable on all your AP's, including your base router.

Here are you manuals: WN604    WNDR4300

If you have more questions, ask away.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Personally, with the size of your home, I would be looking at moving up to a different class of router, R7000 and possibly EX7000, but that could be another discussion. The following covers off what you were looking for, information wise..

You will need to run at least CAT5e (not CAT5) cabling so that you can connect between your WNDR4300 and your WN604's LAN ports. As far as configuring the WN604's, (and depending what IP addresses are being used in your network right now) you could address the AP's as follows: (Assuming your router IP address is: 192.168.1.1) The easy setup:

AP1 - 192.168.1.253 NM 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1

AP2 - 192.168.1.254 NM 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1

I picked these IP address as they are at the far end of your DHCP Pool and should not cause a Duplicate IP Address issue. (Assumption is: You have not altered your DHCP Pool). 

As for your whole  home wireless network, you can use the same wifi SSID's for all the wireless but, ensure you select a wireless band channel 2.4ghz (1,6,11 assumption is, you are in North America) if you can and, higher band channels for 5ghz.

Use the same wireless passphrase for the WNDR4300 and  WN604's . Make sure you use a STRONG wireless passphrase and use WPA2-PSK (AES) for wifi Security.

You can get a copy of acrylic for your laptop, or if you have an android phone, you can download WIFI Analyzer - this will allow to see what channels are being used around you, then you can select the wifi channels based on populated they are / aren't. For 2.4ghz, try and stay with 1,6,11).

As far as wirieless clients go, they decide how effectively they are going to roam. Ensure that WMM is enable on all your AP's, including your base router.

Here are you manuals: WN604    WNDR4300

If you have more questions, ask away.  

Message 2 of 4
BHBUSAF
Aspirant

Should I enable the DHCP client on both APs or will setting the IP/SNM/Gateway take care of that?
Message 3 of 4
netwrks
Master

If you opt to use the IP Addresses I described in the original post, you can set DHCP Disable, or, you can leave it enabled and you should get an IP Address from the Base Router.  If you opt to use the IP's I described, (with DHCP Disabled) use IP Address 192.168.1.1 for your DNS Server. (should only need first DNS IP address.) Also take note of the MAC Addresses on the AP's, so that when you look at your router's attached devices list, you will know which is your AP's. (good to have)..

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7