× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will WNDR4300 block remote connection between PCs on same subnet?

richlife69
Star

Will WNDR4300 block remote connection between PCs on same subnet?

My home network appears to be working just fine except that I'm having problems establishing remote connections between PCs.  I've introduced Glasswire (a graphical network monitor) which is not able to get the remote connection -- BUT that's not the issue.  To test whether the connection can even be established between two PC, I've tried to Telnet (remember that?) between them, but cannet establish a session.  This is happening with three PCs on my network.  

I've examined all Windows Firewall options and any other software that might block my telnet, but can find nothing.  I;ve examined all the function of the router, but cannot find anything that would block.  

Is there any reason that telnet would fail to connect in a subnet controlled by the WNDR4300?  Simpler commands like ping and tracent have no issues.  (I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about telnet in the past frew days, but I'm willing to learn more.)

All device on this network are seen by Genie, Glasswire and anything else I use.  But no two of my three PCs will connect.

Rich

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
richlife69
Star

Re: Will WNDR4300 block remote connection between PCs on same subnet?

I'm pretty sure I have the answer to this problem.  I learned that Windows 10 does not support telnet.  You can install the telnet client, but there is no longer the option to install telnet server.  All my PCs are Win10, so that's why I can never establish a telnet connection.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Telnet t is a Service on Windows devices (or it used to be prior to Windows 10). Is the Telnet Service enabled on your Windows devices?

Message 2 of 5
richlife69
Star

Yes, it is enabled.  I can telnet outside of my network and each computer can establish a telnet session with itself, so that's why I'm looking at the router though, frankly, I have no real reason to suspect it.  But then, I have no idea why telnet isn't working within the subnet, so grasping for straws.

Message 3 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which one you're trying to telnet to?

Message 4 of 5
richlife69
Star

I'm pretty sure I have the answer to this problem.  I learned that Windows 10 does not support telnet.  You can install the telnet client, but there is no longer the option to install telnet server.  All my PCs are Win10, so that's why I can never establish a telnet connection.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7