× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will my WNDR3400v3 Router work with an N300 range extender?

LeeBee1947
Aspirant

Will my WNDR3400v3 Router work with an N300 range extender?

I am using a WNDR3400v3 N600 wireless router in my apartment and only get four (4) bars reception.  If I get a range extender, does it have to be an N600 as well or will an N300 work also?  There is a wall between the router and my PC.  There seems to be a number of N300 extenders available online and they appear to be cheaper than the N600 that I saw listed.  I am still using Windows 7 with IE11

LeeBee1947

Model: WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Will my WNDR3400v3 Router work with an N300 range extender?

An N300 extender will work. But it's likely to be single band, which means it will only connect at 2.4 GHz. In an apartment, 2.4 GHz will likely be cluttered with a lot of neighboring Wi-Fi networks, so speeds probably won't be good. It's better to get a dual band extender and use the 5 GHz band.

There is a big downside to extenders. Most of them cut Wi-Fi speeds in half because they have to retransmit everything they receive. A single band extender may only be able to provide 15 to 30 Mbps, without factoring in interference from other Wi-Fi networks. If your Internet connection is slower than that, then this may not be a be a problem. Just something to keep in mind.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

An N300 extender will work. But it's likely to be single band, which means it will only connect at 2.4 GHz. In an apartment, 2.4 GHz will likely be cluttered with a lot of neighboring Wi-Fi networks, so speeds probably won't be good. It's better to get a dual band extender and use the 5 GHz band.

There is a big downside to extenders. Most of them cut Wi-Fi speeds in half because they have to retransmit everything they receive. A single band extender may only be able to provide 15 to 30 Mbps, without factoring in interference from other Wi-Fi networks. If your Internet connection is slower than that, then this may not be a be a problem. Just something to keep in mind.
Message 2 of 3
LeeBee1947
Aspirant

ATT:  TheEther

Many thanks for your reply (1/21) to my problem and I want to report that I am now back to a 5 bar response as per your suggestion.

LeeBee

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7