× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 10 laptop causes WNDR4500v3 to crash/restart every couple of minutes

SerratiaMarcens
Aspirant

Windows 10 laptop causes WNDR4500v3 to crash/restart every couple of minutes

I've been using a WNDR4500v3 (current firmware is 1.0.0.32) for over a year with no issues. Our cellphones, Ipads, apple TV, a 2007 iMac, and two laptops running Windows 8.1 all work fine. I just bought a new laptop - MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro 006 running Windows 10. I was able to connect to the router by wifi and install system updates (The update history showed it was up to date as of March 2016, not sure what version of Windows 10 was available at that time, the laptop is now at version 1607). I also managed to download a few games from Steam before the router started to constantly restart whenever this laptop is connected to it (Completely shuts down to orange power light and starts up again, taking about 30 seconds to complete). I have not tried an ethernet connection yet. I know it's the laptop, because as soon as I shut off the wifi adaptor in the laptop the router stablizes again and won't shut down no matter what other device is using it. Once I try to connect the laptop (as I troubleshoot this) by wifi the following happens.

- If i try to engage the internet in any way, open a browser, connect to steam, the router will shut down within a couple seconds and restart. Everything will reconnect, and within a minute it will repeat the restart process.

- If I connect by wifi but don't engage the internet, the router will stay stable for up to 3-5 minutes, before it restarts. I assume some data is being passed back and forth despite me not opening a browser. The restart process will repeat every 3-5 minutes.

I have uninstalled my antivirus, disabled windows defender, turned off P2P, checked that there is no malware on the router, updated the laptop and router, reset the router to factory standards, tried connecting at 2.4gHz and 5gHz, done something under device manager under the broadband and wifi to make sure the laptop doesn't ever try to turn it off to save power.

I just got the laptop last night so I haven't had time to try everything...I know I need to still try a wired connection and see if the wifi adapter needs an updated driver, or try a reinstall of windows 10, or roll back the updates. But before I do all of that...can you tell me is it simply because my router does not work with windows 10? My router is not on this list - http://kb.netgear.com/29490/How-do-I-check-if-my-product-is-compatible-with-Windows-10?cid=wmt_netge.... Is it as simple as getting a new router? I don't hate this suggestion...I just want everything to work.

Model: WNDR4500v3|N900 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER
Message 1 of 41

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Windows 10 laptop causes WNDR4500v3 to crash/restart every couple of minutes

For the benefit of others who are reading this, there's a beta fw that may resolve this issue. 

Feel free to send me a PM should you have the same concern with WNDR4500v3 only. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 41

All Replies
SerratiaMarcens
Aspirant

Just wanted to add that the laptop wifi adaptor never shuts down - I can constantly see other wifi connections in my area. I can also access the netgear genie before the router restarts.I have not had the opportunity to try connecting to a different router to see what will happen.

Message 2 of 41
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @SerratiaMarcens

What's the brand and model of the wireless adapter that's installed on the laptop?

Is it also using the latest driver?

Message 3 of 41
SerratiaMarcens
Aspirant

Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 driver version

I just updated it to 12.0.0.285 (qualcomm)

This managed to keep the router from resetting for about 30 minutes, but it still did. Although it's not a continuous every other minute the router resets. After another 15 minutes the router reset again.

Message 4 of 41
SerratiaMarcens
Aspirant

And again after 10 minutes. My N900 router genie does not allow me to set any QoS rules as far as I can find. I don't think it's a bandwidth issue though - at the moment there are six devices attached to the router, but only 1 is highly active (win10 running a youtube video). The only other active device is my win8.1 laptop which i only use to crosscheck the win10 laptop. Everyone else is sleeping and not using their devices.

Message 5 of 41
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For the benefit of others who are reading this, there's a beta fw that may resolve this issue. 

Feel free to send me a PM should you have the same concern with WNDR4500v3 only. 

Message 6 of 41
Robjboston
Aspirant

Elaine, Netgear support is telling me that the firmware found through my N900's admin portal as of 6/14/17 is the latest version. I've installed it but my killer wireless 1535 is still crashing the n900 router. Can you contact me at rboston@risrmarketing.com with the firmware you mention here? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Message 7 of 41
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Robjboston Kindly check your inbox here in the community. 

Message 8 of 41
jandel2510
Aspirant

I am having the same issue on my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S.
Message 9 of 41
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jandel2510 Do you have the latest firmware installed on your router?

If you have not updated yet, go ahead and update and then factory reset the router. 

Resetting the unit will restore the settings of the router so you will need to configure the settings once again. 

Message 10 of 41
jandel2510
Aspirant

When I logged in, it showed the router was running the latest firmware already (V1.0.0.32).  I will try factory resetting the router and see if that solves the problem.  So far I have been connected for a few hours without the router crashing.  I changed the "roaming aggresiveness" setting on my Network Adapter to highest, and uninstalled Microsoft WiFi app.  At this point, I'm not sure if doing one of those two things alleviated the problem.  

Message 11 of 41
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Feel free to keep us updated. 

Message 12 of 41
jandel2510
Aspirant

After not having a problem for a few days, the router crashed again.  I reset the router and tried it again, and kept having the same intermittent issue.  I've returned the tablet, and am waiting on the Surface Pro 4 I was initially going to get.

Message 13 of 41
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let us know any update once you have the Surface Pro 4. 

Message 14 of 41
jandel2510
Aspirant

After having the Surface Pro 4 connected and running for a few days with no internet issues, I am convinced that it was the network adapter on the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S (Gold edition) that was causing the issue.  I looked up the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter (Driver version 12.0.0.297) and found plenty of issues with this card not getting along with the specific router that I have.  My husband borrowed my first SP4 and never gave it back :).  I was trying to find a device that was on par with the SP4 on specs, but not price, but I guess that didn't work out.

Message 15 of 41
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the update! 

You may have to probably borrow your SP4 once again. 🙂

Message 16 of 41
RVK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am also having same issue of the router being restarted automatically every few minutes. In my case it happens even if there is no active device connected to the wifi. Could you please provide me the beta FW solution?

Thanks in advance.

Message 17 of 41
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@RVK Please check your inbox.

Message 18 of 41
ub3rk0r3
Aspirant

Hi ElaineM.  In response to your earlier messages about contacting you for the WNDR4500v3 reset when a laptop connects, I am having a similar issue with an Acer laptop with a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A wireless adapter.  Do you think the beta fw will help me?

Message 19 of 41
loufromfwb
Guide

HELP!!!--- Apparently it's the same issue many are having, eg, constantly rebooting itself (4500v3)--My desktop's ethernet connection works fine, but when trying to connect with my laptop (which has the Killer 1535 wifi adapter card) it drops the connection within minutes, if not seconds! I've got the latest firmware and drivers for both the router and even the 1535 card as of 19 August 2017--- and STILL it reboots constantly--- and especially during any uploading (which for some reason seems to make it worse)! I'm about to return this Netgear product and NEVER buy Netgear again unless it's fixed!!--HELP!

Message 20 of 41
semperNinjai
Aspirant

Issue same as OP. Been using the WNDR4500v3 (current firmware is 1.0.0.32 - which is the latest version according to Netgear) for at least a year with no issues, really pleased with the router. I have an Alienware 17 R4 with a Killer Wireless 1435 that has been dropping my router everytime it has to do any heavy lifting (gaming downloads, Office 2016 install, hitting multiple web pages in one go). I am using Windows 10 Pro.

Contacted Alienware help first - they updated BIOs and Killer driver to latest and greatest. Later in that day, no luck, wifi dropped. What is strange is that I can sometimes download large games (Steam) in half an hour but when I go to 3 websites at the same time, it gets dropped more or less randomly. Pretty frustrating to say the least. Alienware tells me it's an incompatibility between Router + Windows 10 (Anniversary Update) but online there are plenty of forum posts where users with different routers are having the same issue with Killer Wireless 1535/1435. Ethernet will absolutely work fine but that isn't the point of a laptop.

I have already tried different versions of the Killer driver, including completely uninstalling it for the base Windows driver. Nothing has consistently worked so far. PM'ed @ElaineM for the Beta Firmware in hopes that will help. 

Message 21 of 41
loufromfwb
Guide

COME ON NETGEAR!!---There's got to be a solution to this router constantly rebooting!  I've tried everything in this discussion, and then some---but NOTHING works. It's obviously a conflict between the Killer 1535 card and this router's firmware---Is there nothing to do but replace with another product that is NOT a NetGear product?---Has anyone here found the solution? Did the proposed fix from Elaine work?

Message 22 of 41
loufromfwb
Guide

Has ANYONE had any luck with the beta firmware proposed as a possible fix for this issue of constant reboots on the 4500 router? This may be a dumb question but I downloaded the beta file and it's an .img file, and simply does nothing but state it's corrupted---no matter how many times I try downloading---so am I missing something here?

Message 23 of 41
jandel2510
Aspirant

The firmware update didn't work for me.  I actually had to return my new tablet.  I got a Surface Pro 4 and haven't had any further issues with the router.  Sorry I'm not much help.

Message 24 of 41
loufromfwb
Guide

Ok SO FAR SO GOOD!!!---I just downloaded and then uploaded manually the router firmware beta upgrade that is suppose to resolve this issue with the constant self-rebooting of this 4500 router. Elaine, here on Netgear, provided the link, so you may need to ask her for it if you don't have it. After I got the link, which was a zip file, I unzipped it and received a .txt file and .img file. Don't just click on it direct---doesn't work that way. Go to the GENIE router admin page, log in, and go to the FIRMWARE UPGRADE section. There, you will Browse for your .img file, then upload it---follow prompts.

The reason I say all is good so far is because I have 'tested' it a few times already and it didn't crash! I had been testing it using Speedtest.net prior to this and it would drop every single time during the Uploading of that test---and I mean EVERY TIME! But like I said---so far so good!----I've got my fingers and toes crossed!! The big test is later tonight when brother is playing online---Prior to this upgrade I was knocking him offline with my laptop EVERY SINGLE TIME I TRIED TO GET ONLINE (laptop has the Killer 1535 card, which I believe was the issue). So we'll see!---If you don't hear from me again on this ALL IS WELL WITH THE WORLD. [Thx Elaine--I hope:)

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 25 of 41
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7