× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windstream says router is interfering with dsl modem

Stephenwisham
Aspirant

Windstream says router is interfering with dsl modem

I signed up with windstream dsl internet service yesterday. I have a netgear n150 wnr1000 router and a speed stream 4200 dsl modem. Everything was fine up until an hour ago. Service was really slow. Then tried to get onto Netflix on my tv and it wouldn't load. Checked my network status and it said connected to router but not Internet. Tried unplugging everything, waiting and then plugging back up. Would connect briefly then lose connection. Called windstream. She said my IP address was in the red. Had me unplug router from modem. She then said IP address went to green so my router is interfering with my modem. She said call netgear. Can't call because I have to have a subscription. Is anyone familiar with this problem?
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Windstream says router is interfering with dsl modem

Then, your Speedstream is functioning as a router. You will have to pick one of the two options I provided in my first reply.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

It looks like your Speedstream 4200 is actually a combination modem and router. Most home networks should only have one device functioning as a router.

You should decide whether you want to use the router in the Speedstream or the router in the WNR1000.

1. To use the Speedstream as a router, you will want to set up the WNR1000 as an Access Point. Log into the WNR1000, disable the DHCP server and connect one of the WNR1000 LAN ports to the Speedstream LAN port.
  2. To use the WNR1000 as a router, log into the Speedstream and enable bridge mode. Connect the WNR1000 WAN port to Speedstream LAN port. Note, you may lose the ability to log into the Speedstream once it's in bridge mode. If you ever wish to disable bridge mode, you will have to reset it to factory defaults using the reset button (push for 4 seconds, according to the manual).
Message 2 of 9
Stephenwisham
Aspirant

The speedstream is only a modem.
Message 3 of 9
Stephenwisham
Aspirant

From what I can tell, the speedstream is only a modem.
Message 4 of 9
TheEther
Guru

According to the manual, the Speedstream 4200 is a combination DSL modem and router.

Can you log into the WNR1000? Go to the Basic Settings page and look at the IP address. If it starts with either 10.x.y.z or 192.168.y.z, then your Speedstream is definitely running in router mode.

Message 5 of 9
Stephenwisham
Aspirant

Yes. The IP address does start with 192.168.
Message 6 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Then, your Speedstream is functioning as a router. You will have to pick one of the two options I provided in my first reply.

Message 7 of 9
Stephenwisham
Aspirant

I set the speedstream up into bridge mode. It had me reboot the speedstream which I did. I have not had internet since. No wifi and no wired Internet from the netgear router. There is an icon on the front of the router that is under the wifi icon that has always been blue and now it is orange. It looks like a a sideways i with a partial circle under it. I tried unplugging the power to the modem and to the router, waiting 15 seconds, plugging the power back up to the modem, waiting for the dsl light to come back on and then plugged the router back up. Still nothing. Also the activity light on the modem that has always flickered is no longer on.
Message 8 of 9
TheEther
Guru

If your ISP uses PPP to log into their Internet service, then you may have had to transfer the PPP settings from the modem to the router. Hopefully, you made note of them. If not, call your ISP and ask them for help.

Or you can try resetting the modem to factory defaults to return it to router mode. It may be easier to set up the WNR1000 as an AP. This way you don't touch your Speedstream.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7